Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Are caliber changes on a 650 fast?

Was going to get a second 1050, but now I'm considering a 550 or 650 for my less frequently reloaded calibers. Was leaning towards a 550 since it'll also reload 338 Lapua, but I could just use a single stage press for it since I don't need to reload a lot of those rounds. So now I'm leaning towards a 650 over the 550. But how long do caliber swaps even take?

With a caliber change which requires a primer size change...

How much does having an available complete second priming assembly ready-to-go help ?

Only saves you a couple of minutes. I bought one because I like things to be easy, but probably not worth the $$$ for many.

Everyone talks about how easy it is to change calibers. Yet so many end up with another press to avoid exactly this. I don't enjoy changing calibers, and try to load a lot in one caliber (so that I won't have to swap right back) before changing to another.

I'm not convinced having multiple machines saves any time in the long run. I think for most reloaders, collecting presses and getting them running is the real hobby.

...and I'm not talking about someone with a 650, a rock chucker, and a shotshell reloader. I'm talking about the guy with a 650 in three different calibers

I just recently sold one of my 550's and bought a 650 .It is currently set up for 9mm and 40 S&W .I use the 550 for large primer rounds ( 41 Mag and 45 AcP ) .

It takes me about 30 min to change calibers and verify everything is ready to go ,however i've only done this a couple of times on the 650.I expect i will speed up with more practice.

With a caliber change which requires a primer size change...

How much does having an available complete second priming assembly ready-to-go help ?

Worth the money, IMO. I have a complete assembly for each size.

I don't feel the time for a caliber change is any greater than what is required to clean and maintain the press anyway. I have a toolhead for each caliber and I even share the same powder measure for each one.

Yeah the spare tool heads are where you save the real time in the caliber changes. I suppose that is a given though. I honestly have never understood why people make a big deal of the time to change over really, 10 minutes is nothing really. Sometimes I think its just an excuse to get another machine to play with. Then again I don't have a bullet feeder or anything like that as I like to take my time when I load. It always seems I can get a lot of bullets for the price of that upgrade and that always wins out.

I have one 650 and 14 toolheads. I have a powder die on each toolhead. A cal change takes 10 minutes max including changing the primer size, changing the powder bar, giving it a quick clean and greasing it up. I spent money on toolheads, spare powder dies and having multiple powder bars (one for each popular load plus one with the Uniquetek micrometer for load development).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If Dillon or an aftermarket company would come up with a primer system attachment that would be easier than backing out those two long bolts I would be a customer. That is the most time consuming part of changing primer sizes for me. Maybe two studs with QD levers like a picatinny optic mount?

If Dillon or an aftermarket company would come up with a primer system attachment that would be easier than backing out those two long bolts I would be a customer. That is the most time consuming part of changing primer sizes for me. Maybe two studs with QD levers like a picatinny optic mount?

Two "long" bolts are too time consuming?

Edited by AJE

A hex key socket might solve your problem. ..

If Dillon or an aftermarket company would come up with a primer system attachment that would be easier than backing out those two long bolts I would be a customer. That is the most time consuming part of changing primer sizes for me.

Try Bondhus Ball Drivers. Spin them right out.

http://www.amazon.com/Bondhus-13190-Balldriver-T-handles-8-Inch/dp/B00012WYEM

They are sold at lots of places for varying prices.

I imagine you can buy individual sizes, but between my SDB and XL650 quite a few of the sizes get frequent use.

Edited by TDA

Removing those two bolts takes less than 60 seconds.

I just don't know how someone could justify a complete new/different press because 10 minutes is to long for a caliber change. I find that the conversion kit and qc kit are expensive enough as is. But if someone can afford a 2nd or 3rd press more power to them I guess.

A hex key socket might solve your problem. ..

Didn't mean to step on any blue toes. I have hex key sockets and ball hex drivers and a cordless drill. Yes, it only takes 60 seconds. 60 seconds out, 60 seconds in. I get it. All I was saying was that I'd spend money for it to take five seconds out and five seconds in. WOW.

Removing those two bolts takes less than 60 seconds.

I can only see it taking 60 seconds if I stop to drink a beer in the middle.

Was going to get a second 1050, but now I'm considering a 550 or 650 for my less frequently reloaded calibers. Was leaning towards a 550 since it'll also reload 338 Lapua, but I could just use a single stage press for it since I don't need to reload a lot of those rounds. So now I'm leaning towards a 650 over the 550. But how long do caliber swaps even take?

Whenever I convert to a different caliber I take the opportunity to clean the press, this generally takes longer than the actual caliber conversion (15-30 minutes total depending on how anal I'm being). The 650 is setup for large primer and handles .45/10mm. Probably order a couple of tool heads, and migrate my .380/.357sig/.40 reloading to the xl650 in the near future, doubt I'd invest in a separate primer system.

~g