Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

45 ACP loads using N320, HP-38 or Tightgroup

Mark2274

For the past 15 years or so I have been reloading using Clays for my 45 ACP Government model 1911s. Have been quite satisfied using 4.3 grains with Billy Bullets 200 grain coated SWC and Bear Creek 200 grain coated RNHB. For Bear Creek 230 grain RN pleased with 4.0 grains; OAL for all 1.250 inches plus/minus. Have found Bayou Bullets 200 and 230 grain RN to be more consistent in length than Bear Creek and may be switching to them

Almost out of Clays and have VihtaVuori N320, Hodgdon HP-38 and Tightgroup on hand.

Does anyone have a favorite loads using what powder I have on hand? Or can you suggest any other powder for 200 and 230 grain loads.

Any assistance will be appreciated.

Why not stice with clays? Should be easy enough to find on the net especially. I have been seeing it in my lgs for awhile.

Not sure where you're finding Clays in stock, but I haven't seen it for a few years, either on line or locally.

As mentioned, Clay Dot is supposed to be very similar.

~g

Why not stice with clays? Should be easy enough to find on the net especially. I have been seeing it in my lgs for awhile.

Not sure where you're finding Clays in stock, but I haven't seen it for a few years, either on line or locally.

As mentioned, Clay Dot is supposed to be very similar.

~g

I thought clay dot was the rebranded clays. Am I wrong on that?

I chrono'd two loads yesterday that turned out to be nearly identical. This was out of a 5" 1911:

RMR 230gr RN, N320 5.0gr, 1.230 OAL

Shots: 10

Max : 808

Min : 779

ES : 29

Avg : 795

SD : 10

RMR 230gr RN, W231 5.25gr, 1.230 OAL

Shots: 10

Max : 820

Min : 786

ES : 34

Avg : 797

SD : 10

I preferred the recoil impulse of the N320.

• 2 weeks later...

Have found Ramshot Competition to be my favorite over Clays, e3, N310, Titegroup, WST, 231, and Bullseye.

RS seems kind of like WST on steroids. 4.1 of RS under a SNS 230 (no lube ring) at 1.250 gives me 175PF out of my Trojan.

Very clean and economical powder.

• 3 weeks later...

I just got started so I am still loading Titegroup straight from the starting recommendation out of the Lyman manual.

Bayou 200gr LSWC, 4.8gr Titegroup, OAL 1.244" (Lyman's says 1.235" but that seems too short).

I have only shot 200 rounds of it, out of the Springfield Mil Spec, RO and TRP. All good so far.

Chrono shows an average of 850 fps so this load is near the low end of major power factor.

I can just notice a slightly softer recoil versus the factory 230gr S&B FMJ-RN I've been using.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had good luck with Ramshot Competition when I couldn't find Clays, but now I can get Clays and I can't get RS Competition so easily. I like them both for a soft, accurate 40 or 45 load. The local Bass Pro has Clays in stock now but way overpriced.