Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dry Fire: elbow hurting?

vactor

since shooting ranges are hard to get to in the City of Our President, i do a LOT of dry firing. i find that i am squeezing the grip quite hard in order to not have the sights move when i press the trigger, and more so when i do it quickly. i find that after even a short 10 minute session, my strong side elbow on the inside is kinda sore and is sore for a day or more. anyone else have this happen? i'm reasonably athletic so it comes as a bit of a surprise that simply squeezing hard can be so painful lol. but, my sights move less and less with each session ...

Edited by vactor

went to the range today, had no issues, i think in dry fire, since i can concentrate and isolate so much more than on the range, i squeeze even harder, bbut even so, i shot very well, and again, dry fire pays dividends that are really fantastic!

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure how old you are, but I became very prone to golfer/tennis elbow/ tendonosis when I hit my mid 30's. Some times you get used to it and the pain goes away, other times dropping the activity for a while is the only answer. After several years of dealing with this, I've started to become aware of when it's starting to happen and take that opportunity to take a day or two off from whatever activity was causing it.. that usually gets me back up and running until the next time.

Edited by tha1000

I know I've hurt mine this winter/spring with dryfire, but mostly by doing rifle and shotgun pickups one handed. I'm working with weights and a therabar, and most days I'm ok, some days I have some pain. Tight grip is what hurts me most, not moving not bending my arm, just gripping hard.

The various elbow straps work really well to alleviate the pain mid match, or if you have something you need to do, but they don't heal you. Still useful to have around, I keep on in my range bag.

Not sure how old you are, but I became very prone to golfer/tennis elbow/ tendonosis when I hit my mid 30's. Some times you get used to it and the pain goes away, other times dropping the activity for a while is the only answer. After several years of dealing with this, I've started to become aware of when it's starting to happen and take that opportunity to take a day or two off from whatever activity was causing it.. that usually gets me back up and running until the next time.

i was a very good tennis player for a long time and never had any issues. i'm in pretty good shape for being 43 ...

• 2 weeks later...

since shooting ranges are hard to get to in the City of Our President, i do a LOT of dry firing. i find that i am squeezing the grip quite hard in order to not have the sights move when i press the trigger, and more so when i do it quickly. i find that after even a short 10 minute session, my strong side elbow on the inside is kinda sore and is sore for a day or more. anyone else have this happen? i'm reasonably athletic so it comes as a bit of a surprise that simply squeezing hard can be so painful lol. but, my sights move less and less with each session ...

Yup been there too. Didn't heed the w a ring and ended up not being able to turn a door handle with that hand. Acupuncture did the trick.

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the link! Not sure if I injured my elbow outside working in the lawn or shooting but I find it hurts to shoot strong hand only or to lift anything with an outstretched arm.

https://www.absolutept.com/shooters-elbow/

Also, lookup Therabar / Tyler Twist.

Elbow pain from dry fire is essentially tennis elbow and can go from a pain in the butt to taking 6 weeks off shooting like that.

• 2 weeks later...

Really glad I found this. After a hard fall onto my right arm at the Area 8 Championship in August, I started getting some serious pain in my elbow. X-ray showed nothing and working with a physical therapist has been a slow process. I'm at the point that picking up a coffee mug with palm down (fingers around rim) is difficult at best. It's SLOWLY getting better, but it's very frustrating. I'm an IT guy, so my right arm operates a mouse all day long and gets stiff as can be. Time to start weight lifting through the pain....

Listen to pain....

I didn't and treated my pain as tendonitis aka tennis elbow. I treated it as such for 3 months with physio treatments and accupuncture etc.... It was a tear not tendonitis. This started 13 months ago. I had to have a PRP (blood spinning) proceedure and am still not anywhere near 100% I have dealt with job related pain all my life so this was just another "fight through it and it will go away".

Big mistake. Don't listen to internet doctors and thera-flex cures on the internet (sure they might work, but then they might also do more damage) Go see a doctor, hopefully he tells you its only tendonitis and just rest.

I lost 7 months of shooting/dry firing and am still very limited on what I can do. You do not want to be in my shoes

Good luck

Time to start weight lifting through the pain....

That's a good way to turn an injury that needs a couple weeks of rest into one that needs a couple months of rest...

When I say "weight lifting", I mean doing it like the physical therapist recommends in the videos at the link in your first post in this thread...not heavy weight lifting. I can barely "reverse wrist curl" a 3 pound dumb-bell right now. I'm determined, but I'm not crazy.

Edited by kcobean

i was a very good tennis player for a long time and never had any issues. i'm in pretty good shape for being 43 ...

I've always considered myself an athlete. Still very much involved in strength/strongman type training. I've still become more prone to elbow tendonitis/tendonosis as I've aged. Started about 4 or 5 years ago. I still deadlift 500+ with a double overhand grip and no wrist wrap with no issues, still do pullups and a lot of esoteric strongman type grip training with no issues... but you put anything over 225 on the bar for a bench press and it's instant flareup. So most of my pressing is done overhead because, for whatever reason, it doesn't bother my elbows. I've dropped bench press, olympic lifts (mainly cleans) and BJJ from my life and my elbows have been much happier, and these are things, in some cases, I had been doing for 15-20+ years with no issue. Bodies age and stuff changes. Figure out what exactly is causing the issue and drop it from the rotation for a while. If it is gripping too hard with your strong hand that is causing it to flare up, work on weak hand dry fire, reloading drills, movement, etc.... give it time to settle down. Time is the only fix I have found that works.

Just one man's opinion.

Edited by tha1000