Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to uspsa

Shooterben

I have a glock 34 gen 4 that I want to shoot for 3 gun and uspsa limited. If this topic has been brought up already I am sorry. So, I am not amazed by the stock trigger and there are so many options. Do I go with a oc custom, dk,zev, agency arms, taran, or something else? I really want a positive reset and as close to a crisp break as possible. Also, what else is recommended for a new limited shooter? I was thinking about Dawson sights and maybe grip tape. Also maybe a barrel, like a Wilson or a Kkm.

Edited by Shooterben

Sevigny the most common is to order for the Glock 34 is the .150 rear notch with .245 front sight off his website. 90% of the time they are Dead on.

http://sevignyperformance.com/products-page/competition-sights/shop-fiber-optic-sights/

Vanek Classic Kit is Awesome and has a crisp break and is Very Nice. He's been doing them the longest.

http://www.vanekcustom.com/3.html

I shoot 3-Gun and USPSA Production with my Glock 34.

I prefer adjustable rear so I have a Dawson Precision rear adjustable .125N with fiber optic front sight .300 tall .100 wide. I picked up a DK Custom adjustable trigger bar last month and have been extrememly happy with the short, crisp break. Zev 4 connector and .25 trigger job.

i've always read the gain from an aftermarket Glock barrel isn't that much over a stock glock so I haven't felt the need to upgrade.

Actually Dale Rhea started the whole trigger thing, but I haven't seen or heard from him in a very long time. You don't need an aftermarket barrel, unless you want to shoot only lead, because they are easier to clean, but no more accurate. There are plenty of great sights out there, personally I have been running black on black Heines (wide cut to .180") for decades. I recommend Talon rubberized grips. Keep in mind there is alot more going on in USPSA than just the gun, also you would be scored minor shooting a 9mm in Limited.

If you want a limited gun, buy a G35 or 2011.

To have a really good Production gun, buy some good sights and a production legal trigger. You're going to be at a huge disadvantage shooting minor in Limited, but your G34 will serve you well in Production.

Barrel isnt needed.

I have tried a few triggers and settled on a polished bar gen 4 bar, Jager striker (4lb spring) stock trigger spring, over travel stop in housing and a vanek safety plunger with light spring.

I also really like the Zev trigger but it isnt legal in production but would be in limited. Dawson makes great sights but I really like the TTI sights also. as for the griptape sometimes I buy cut tape and sometimes I make it out of stair thread tape, either works.

Also you will probably wont to change the recoild spring, the Jager guiderod and ISMI spring in 13-15lbs is about the best way to go. I use a 13 but my old 17 wouldn't run a 13 without a lighted striker spring.

Edited by Foxj66

For a trigger to be used in Limited and 3 Gun, I'd say look at the DK Trigger or Glocktriggers.com Edge.

I like the Taran Tactical sights myself. You might want to look at having some grip work done. I found it made a huge difference for me.

Thank you for all the replies. Now just need to decide on what way to go. Also, what does a Jager guiderod and ISMI spring in 13-15lbs do? What spring is best and how would it change the function? I can see how a metal guid rod would be nice, but i dont understand the spring. Is it for recoil controll like an adjustable gas block? Also, you mentioned a lightend striker. Is the striker a good thing or bad?

Lighter recoil springs are used to tune your hand loads. You work up your to load to meet minor at 125, plus some to be safe in case you get chrono'd, say 133. Then reduce spring weight so the gun just cycles. The old way was to cut coils until it wouldn't cycle, then put a new spring in with 2 more coils. You can still do that, but a captured spring on a metal rod is easier to deal with. Light strikers are used to increase speed, but they are sensitive to light strikes unless you only run Federal primers. After market barrels are not more accurate than OEM barrels, unless they are hand fitted.

If you are brand new to competition, you will way be ahead to take competition shooting lessons before pouring money into your gun. All any Glock really needs is good sights and a 3.5lb connector to start. I've seen plenty of guys change out everything, only to find out it doesn't run 100% and pretty much put it back to stock. A $250 trigger doesn't help you when you walk by a target and take 2 mikes and a procedural.

Lighter recoil springs are used to tune your hand loads. You work up your to load to meet minor at 125, plus some to be safe in case you get chrono'd, say 133. Then reduce spring weight so the gun just cycles. The old way was to cut coils until it wouldn't cycle, then put a new spring in with 2 more coils. You can still do that, but a captured spring on a metal rod is easier to deal with. Light strikers are used to increase speed, but they are sensitive to light strikes unless you only run Federal primers. After market barrels are not more accurate than OEM barrels, unless they are hand fitted.

If you are brand new to competition, you will way be ahead to take competition shooting lessons before pouring money into your gun. All any Glock really needs is good sights and a 3.5lb connector to start. I've seen plenty of guys change out everything, only to find out it doesn't run 100% and pretty much put it back to stock. A $250 trigger doesn't help you when you walk by a target and take 2 mikes and a procedural.

A lot to be said about not making changes unless you have a good reason. I agree a 100% on starting with just changing sights and putting in a 3.5 connector. In production I don't really ever see the need to change barrels factory glocks can shoot into 2.5" or so at 25 yards.