Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mag hanging up on mag release- TS

Jody Waring

Only when I was using a modified OEM rubber grip. You have to carefully trim the OEM grip and the grip screw depth matters to a degree. The number one fail reason for mag hang is grips. Do you have this issue with grips removed?

Could be mag brake but it would have to be really messed up.

Neither of these two reasons? Then it could be the mag release.

Edited by Czman

Tear the magazine apart. Take the slide off, and put the empty magazine with no base pad, spring or follower in it. The mag tube should drop free. If not, it should be easier to trouble shoot, because you can see everything. Work backwards from there. Reassemble magazine, does it still drop free. Slam load the magazine, does it drop free. Load the magazine with dummy rounds, does it drop free,...Etc. Put the slide on, does the full magazine drop free, empty mag drop free...

I have this exact same issue with the factory grips and factory mags on my TS .40.

I've broken mags down a few times for cleaning and it still happens every now and then.

It doesn't always happen, but when it does the slide doesn't lock back even with an empty mag inserted.

One thing I found is that when the issue arises, it is usually during dry fire practice. When it occurs I notice that the slide lock/release is slightly out of place. If I remove the mag and push the slide lock all the way in, the problem is resolved and mags will drop free again.

I went back and did some more tests. I can repro the problem fairly consistently during mag reload practice.

1- Release and insert the mag between 15 and 25 times.

2- Slide stop comes out from the frame about .5 to 1mm.

3- Mag stops dropping.

4- Press mag release and pull mag out manually.

5- Move the slide back to the breakdown markers and press the slide lock all the way in.

6- Insert mag.

7- Mag can now drop freely again.

This is my only CZ (TS .40) so I'm not sure if its a CZ specific issue. I've never had this problem in any of my other guns.

semi related, unrelated question. Any tips on lightening the mag release spring on a TS? You have to man up on mine to get the mag to drop.

I took out the mag spring and pinched it closer together, near the base. The legs barely touch the frame and I now have a much easier mag release.

I have not experienced this with factory mags, but occasionally notice this with CZC followers. If the slide stop backs out a very tiny bit, the super thin follower can pop above the slide stop. This has only been an issue the few times I've shot to slide lock.