Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sig 226X5 Match Short Legal?

Alaskan454

My Dad ordered one assuming it would be good to go in ESP. It's short enough to fit in the box and should be 1oz under the limit. The rail isn't technically full length either, but it's so uncommon I wasn't sure what to tell him. Worst case hell shoot it in uspsa.

Since everyone else was too lazy to look it up...no it's not ported. Who knows if it will fit the box. Shoot it in Extra Special Pistol and forget about it. If anyone asks say, "Robert Ray said it was." That oughta confuse and disorient anyone who would give you a problem at a club level match.

No, not too lazy. But thanks for the insult. The first two models that came up in my search were ported.

Some people complain about the subjectivity of IDPA rules. Until they want to shoot with their special snowflake piece of equipment. Then it's "just a club match".

To clarify a bit, it's the 4.25" SAO model without ports or optics. Here's a link to the exact gun in question: http://www.eurooptic.com/sig-sauer-p226x5e-9-match-short-sao.aspx. In my area we have the occasional club level guys shooting questionable IDPA rigs but none of our scores get reported to HQ so nobody seems to point fingers unless it's real obvious. I won't bring a gun that isn't allowed and try to run in one of the main divisons, they have not for compeititon (NFC) exactly for that reason. Anyway, thanks for the input so far and as Tarkeg mentioned this is definitely a "snowflake" gun.

Scaling off that picture, and assuming the grip screw spacing is the same as on a regular P226, and assuming a gun without a prominent slide stop pin would be measured from the takedown lever pin, I think he will be good.

I think Sig directed the X5 series to European IPSC shooters and maybe some target shooters used to their P210s and not wanting to go to a blowback .32.

What's "Retention"

Is retention actually covered in the Rule Book? I didn't see it. Or is this just tribal knowledge?

No, it isn't. It has a clarification from HQ saying "The written stage description should describe what constitutes shooting from retention. The description must be easily understood and measurable by the SO."

Everywhere I've shot defines it as any part of the strong hand arm, from the elbow to the wrist, touching the side. It can be one or two hands.