Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's your favorite Production gun? Why?

TexzDiver

How about the S&W 5906? It has the weight and accuracy. Factory hi-caps a still a little pricey, but the guns can be had for less than $300. I'm very new to the "action" pistol family of sports, but I think it's a great production gun. I've used it in local steel matches with success. I also think it's hard to find a better SA/DA trigger on a production gun, just MHO.

I like my Glock 35 but learned on a 1911 and just have that grip angle mind set. I shoot my Glock well but I still have to adjust my grip when I bring the gun to line of sight. I am looking up the length of the slide. The XD just points more naturally to me. Custom work seems to be coming fast and furious for the XD also. The round count in the XD mags will be less(unless someone comes up with a monsterous x-base pad.) than the Glock 35. This won't matter for production but as long as the AWB stays away I think that Production may suffer. (???) Hope this helps. TXAG

It all depends on your hand size. The XD is a good choice for smaller hands. People with bear paws will prefer something larger. I think that people are over enamored with silly features/aesthetics and under-concerned with hand fit. Reloads are what drive your performance in Production. Get something that you can hit the button on easily and reload quickly.

How about the S&W 5906?  It has the weight and accuracy.  Factory hi-caps a still a little pricey, but the guns can be had for less than $300.   I'm very new to the "action" pistol family of sports, but I think it's a great production gun.  I've used it in local steel matches with success. I also think it's hard to find a better SA/DA trigger on a production gun, just MHO.

TLD,

That was exactly my thinking too! So now, "Mister Single Stack 45" has a 5906 that I've shot one match with and will use it again this Saturday. A lot like shooting a 22! Damn them bullets is little... :huh:

Ed

Another nod to the CZ-75. It was cheap. It is accurate. The rear sight notch was easy to file wider and deeper (which I like). The trigger is better when you put in a lighter mainspring, and disabling the magazine brake is easy to do by yourself.

Hopefully my new mag springs take care of the problems I was having last match. Hmmm...not the most stunning review, is it. Still, it points better than a Glock!

Finally, if you are determined to get an STI, just shoot limited. Shoot limited all the time. Don't mess with any other division until you've shot for a couple years. Get one gun and stick with it. I only use my CZ because they won't let me shoot the STI in IDPA.

DogmaDog

Bar-Sto is putting their new trigger in my 9mm XD Tactical sometime this month. Another local shooter has one of Rich's triggers, will be interesting to compare them. They are also installing a Bar-sto barrel, a low mount Bomar sight, so my XD should be ready to roll soon!

Scott

I agree that a Glock is a good place to start or end uo at for Production. There is a good reason that so many shooters use them. They go bang every time you pull the trigger. But if a gun doesn't fit your hand well and you don't feel comfortable with it you won't shoot well with it. There are a lot of great guns out there for production. I personally shoot a Sig 226 and have shot Glocks as well. But that was what I had when I started shooting USPSA. So if you have a pistol that you already feel confident with grab a holster some extra mags and magholders and give the sport a shot. If you like this type of shooting (and you will) try out other guys guns at pratice or whatever and find out if there is something that you like better than what you already have and buy it.

I shoot a CZ 85 Combat now because it fis my large hands very well. I used to shoot a G34, and while the grip angle was better for me, with my large hands the slide would bite me and cause bleeding so I sold it. I still will save up to get a Para LDA 18/9 though to go with my P16-40 Limited and P14-45.

XD.

I believe Jake is referring to mine, it is indeed a sweet little shooter. I also prefer the XD for dry firing, there is enough trigger movement with the striker thingy down for good mutiple shot drills.

Rich's trigger was too good for me at first...we had to dumb it down (up?) to 2.75 so I could shoot it. I'm just not used to a trigger that light, plus it was making my caspian nervous with envy.

It's the most fun I've had shooting prod...( Jake, finish your beverage before reading on) ...it's better than my old Big Wheel. :) :) :)

SA

The Bar-Sto trigger for the XD should involve little more than replacing the factory sear. They are still testing, so nothing is engraved in stone yet. At least that's how I understand it. I'll know more in a few weeks when mine comes back.

Scott

Try buying an EAA Witness in 9mm if you are in the US. It's the Tanfoglio Combat outside of the US. If they have the Standard model (decocker version), get it. It's very popular in Production Division in the Philippines. It's not that expensive than the more popular production pistols, but it works. This is the way to go in IPSC Production Division where the first shot trigger pull is regulated. Also, stick with the 9mm if you want to stay in Production Division. That caliber is so cheap in the US!

Too bad, EAA Witness doesn't offer their products in Canada. We have to settle for CZ pistols which are very similar to the Tanfoglio, but quite expensive.

Hope EAA reads this and start shipping to Canada. :)

Guest Gunslinger45
i like the glock 34 or 35 (downloaded of course). the glocks sit lower in your hand hence less recoil than the xd. cz is nice if you like an all steel gun.

the glock trigger pull is always the same every time, not sure about the xd or cz though. with a little filing and polishing the glock trigger is very tasty.

glock parts are cheap and if something breaks on the range chance are if you don't have the part someone will. mags are cheap too.

like others have said the glock 35 will shoot in three divisions in uspsa and two divisions in idpa. i believe it the most versatile gun on the market.

I love my XD Tactical .40

How do you figure that a Glock sits lower than an XD?

glock177yh.th.jpg

xd9401large8ot.th.jpg

i like the glock 34 or 35 (downloaded of course). the glocks sit lower in your hand hence less recoil than the xd. cz is nice if you like an all steel gun.

the glock trigger pull is always the same every time, not sure about the xd or cz though. with a little filing and polishing the glock trigger is very tasty.

glock parts are cheap and if something breaks on the range chance are if you don't have the part someone will. mags are cheap too.

like others have said the glock 35 will shoot in three divisions in uspsa and two divisions in idpa. i believe it the most versatile gun on the market.

How do you figure that a Glock sits lower than an XD?

glock177yh.th.jpg

xd9401large8ot.th.jpg

Judging by those photos, it looks like the Glock's bore axis is about a 1/2 centimeter lower than the XD's... hence, it sits lower in your hand.

Hi everyone! I'm new here (obviously :) ), but I figured I'd add my totally unqualified opinion on this one. After years of just punching paper once in a while, I finally shot a few matches last year. Last Spring I picked up a CZ 75 SA (9mm), but really can't remember why, and then shot in an IDPA-like match. I had a lot of fun :D , and then a buddy talked me into getting a Springfield XD. I bought the XD-9 Tactical, and then shot in another IDPA-like match and also shot in a steel match. The XD was very nice shooting, but it had a weird habit of not locking the slide back after the last round fired :huh: , and it felt sort of top heavy (unbalanced) during recoil. I sold the XD and went back to the CZ (and also bought a CZ 75 B and a P-01), although I haven't had time to shoot a match since that steel match last year :( . Anyway, I really don't know much about USPSA matches, but I think the CZs are great guns; well worth the money for what you get in return. Cheers!