Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Station 1 locator damage

It happens when the brass tilts forward as it is being pushed into station #1 and the edge of the brass jams and digs into the soft pot metal of the locator. You can sand/file them smooth but its days are numbered, just get more of them and keep them on hand.

It happens when the brass tilts forward as it is being pushed into station #1 and the edge of the brass jams and digs into the soft pot metal of the locator. You can sand/file them smooth but its days are numbered, just get more of them and keep them on hand.

I have tried cleaning them up once damaged... But a replacement is not too far away normally . A good waxing with car wax helps the feeding by reducing friction.

I was having issues with the brass dragging, tilting and not wanting to go into station 1.

I used Dry Lube on the station 1 locator, and it seems to at least improved the feeding, and reduced the problem significantly.

Based on the terrific information available on this site, I also use a dab of grease on the bottom of the locator to help hold it in place.

In some instances, the locator would tilt up , and this would cause an issue with properly feeding into the shell plate.

This would also cause the case insert slide to no longer be perpendicular to the locator, again, causing difficulty in the case sliding along the locator and into the shell plate.

Edited by Jimk60

With steel, the edges of the station one locator can dig into the case and halt it from sliding if the case isn't perfect. Be sure the correct case feed body bushing is installed, and the proper side of the activating cam is being used.

What causes the tilting? ? I am having the same issue. .

Vibration, movement in your bench/mount, brass dragging on the locator, brass with a primer partially sticking out, a piece of media or dirt stuck under the case, operating the machine too quickly, a burr on the locator, you name it, lots of things can cause a piece of brass to tilt.

What causes the tilting? ? I am having the same issue. .

Vibration, movement in your bench/mount, brass dragging on the locator, brass with a primer partially sticking out, a piece of media or dirt stuck under the case, operating the machine too quickly, a burr on the locator, you name it, lots of things can cause a piece of brass to tilt.

thanks for the pointers

case prep in a 50 round tray has served me well over the years. I know some don't want to spend the time, but I reduced many of my headache's by hand checking every case both sides from a tray. feeling for high primers after making the round and feeling for imperfections on the rims as well. Good luck.

One thing I found was the little funnel doohicky that threads into the case feed ( I dont know the offical name and am to lazy to look it up but caliber specific) assembly from underneath backs out and sticks down further - and it hit the aluminum locator on the upstroke, causing that kind of damage. Ask me how I know ?!