Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

So close 2 blue, yet so far

Sorry, wrong location. mods please move to proper forum, thx

Been away for awhile so I am just getting reaquainted with reloading and its enviroment.

I am once again so close to acquireing my 1st progressive press but I am stigmatized by ending up with a $1000.00 investment sitting idol.

My issue as well as probably many others is the availability of components.

I am not flushed with $$$ so it becomes a challenge to spend wisely and capitalize on volume components.

Calibers to be reloaded are .223, 45 acp, 9mm, 40s&w.

For all pistol apps, I have loaded 99% of all pistol ammo with Bullseye with some limited use of unique. Bullseye is prefered but seems to be a no-go.

For .223, I can find WW748 (wanted to try ramsshot or h335 but both seem to be elusive) and wsr primers and very limited flavor of bullets. I have loaded .223 with cci400 in substitution for cci450 without any pressure issues. CCi acquisition is so far impossible for 400 or 450. As WW does not have magnum small rifle primers, I question their cross compatability with cci 400. I think I seen cci 400-450 on another site in qtys of 100 so if I want to stay with familiar components I am looking at 2-3 hazmat fees, I think not.

Is everyone facing what I just described or is there a source of components that does not have 80% of everything out of stock?

I am basically holding up an order for a rl550 for this very reason.

Edited by PREDAT0R

$1k for a550 sounds high.

Components are pretty available these days. I just passed 40+lbs of powder at cabela's just a few hours ago. Prices were high, but it always is there. Where do you live? I am sure someone in your area can tell you where to go for components.

I haven't had any issues with Pistol primers in 18 months, and powder is coming back strong. I wouldn't worry about components,just be patient, and buy in quantity when what you want becomes available.

$1k for a550 sounds high.

Components are pretty available these days. I just passed 40+lbs of powder at cabela's just a few hours ago. Prices were high, but it always is there. Where do you live? I am sure someone in your area can tell you where to go for components.

I haven't had any issues with Pistol primers in 18 months, and powder is coming back strong. I wouldn't worry about components,just be patient, and buy in quantity when what you want becomes available.

$1000 after extra heads, primer tubes, 223 carbide dies, caliber change kits etc etc adds up really quick.

Northern Illinois Been looking at a site called recob

http://www.recobstargetshop.com/

reloadingunlimited .com has what you need. Prices tend to be inflated but they have them in stock.

H335 8# $180

Bullseye 8# $180

cci 450 $36/1000

put your order in for the rl550!

Hey Balakay, thx for the heads up! so far I am very impressed and I was only on the site for a minute.

reloadingunlimited .com has what you need. Prices tend to be inflated but they have them in stock.

H335 8# $180

Bullseye 8# $180

cci 450 $36/1000

Hey Balakay, thx for the heads up! so far I am very impressed and I was only on the site for a minute.

My pleasure. When I first started reloading, I seriously overpaid for my first round of components because I wanted to get started quickly. I then had the luxury to wait for better prices and stock up. If you do the math, even if you overpay ~$10/pound of powder, the price per round differential is really not that much. A lot cheaper than factory ammo prices

I think the 550 is the right animal for you given the calibers you will be reloading. What the others said above is pretty much spot on. I recommend vising Power Valley daily and a few times a day. Their prices are hard to beat, but the popular powders don't last long. Also, follow the link, "Where's all the Powder", or something close to this title. Everyone is pretty quick to post powder sightings. Good luck!

H335 8# $180

Bullseye 8# $180

cci 450 $36/1000

My pleasure. When I first started reloading, I seriously overpaid for my first round of components because I wanted to get started quickly. I then had the luxury to wait for better prices and stock up. If you do the math, even if you overpay ~$10/pound of powder, the price per round differential is really not that much. A lot cheaper than factory ammo prices

Yep, Agree.

I have been reloading since "80" when I bought 1000 primers and a lb of powder for under 20.00. Shooting for a buck went a lot further in those days.

OK! things are looking a lot brighter now and with choices and not a lot of new reloading data as I have at my disposal Sierras second edition manual and Speers number 10. Anyone have any experiance with 748, Ramshot tac and H335 to make comparisons with. I really liked 748 for metering and with the idea of going progressive it still makes sense but I am open minded to alternatives. I have heard good things about the other two.

No data for TAC so I am curious if it is worth considering and getting new books that include it as a choice.

Edited by PREDAT0R

I'm lacking in the cash department myself, but a dillon press is an investment. Most presses you see used always drop in value, but it seems a working dillon is worth it's original price. I have green single stage right now, but I (being from Michigan) am ready to go blue. I was wanting a 650 with all the bells and whistles but a few things have changed my mind.

1. Money, inital cost and adding calibers

2. As your self I would like to load a variety of rounds

3. I have found some guys in my area with 550's that like to barrow quik change setups for rounds they like to do small runs of.

So I am going to get me a 550. Yes for me I will get a 550 with the as it should be, 2 calibers and the extras for the press to get started and it will cost just under 1k to get it to my door. For my 1k I will have a press that will last a life time.

From the last Front Sight USPSA mag, Nationals survey of guns, gear, etc, 95% of competitive shooters go Blue. There is a reason for that. They all have a choice, they choose Dillon!

Yeah, I can see why. NO BS is huge

Dumping a lot of cash today

My choices for 223 powder are in this order; Tac, H-335, and W748. All work very well in my rifle's. Pick the bullet weight you want and work up loads with all three powders at different weight's and go with the most accurate for your rifle. Good luck.

You are ordering through Brian Enos right? Can't imagine why you wouldn't, you'll likely save some money and he can help review your order to ensure everything makes sense.

http://www.brianenos.com/store/dillon.html

i have probably created an order on his site a dozen times before and the actual order never materialized. And before you just mentioned it I had a wishlist running on DP's site. And now, on Brian Enos, at least a best effort of one. I dont know what it is about generating an order on his site that seems to be so difficult. I suspect it is like when they came out the 1040ez tax form after I filed many years on the std 1040. There was nothing ez about the ez.. Maybe it was too simple for us intellects.

If you have a group of shooters local to you that you know, offer to let them in on your primer/powder order. You can divide it out & spread the shipping/hazmat charge easily. Sure you have to do some leg work but is that better than carrying the entire shipping & hazmat cost? If you fill an order from powder valley(about 50lbs), you can normally get the shipping/hazmat cost down to less than $1.50/lb powder or $1.50/k primers per item.

Changed my mind about Blue, my SD broke after 15 years of continuous service, about 20K rounds per year. Turns out the only broken part was the shell plate bolt, so it will be here by Wednesday.

image37077.jpg

image37076.jpg

Edited by 9x45

You are ordering through Brian Enos right? Can't imagine why you wouldn't, you'll likely save some money and he can help review your order to ensure everything makes sense.

http://www.brianenos.com/store/dillon.html

i have probably created an order on his site a dozen times before and the actual order never materialized. And before you just mentioned it I had a wishlist running on DP's site. And now, on Brian Enos, at least a best effort of one. I dont know what it is about generating an order on his site that seems to be so difficult. I suspect it is like when they came out the 1040ez tax form after I filed many years on the std 1040. There was nothing ez about the ez.. Maybe it was too simple for us intellects.

Agreed, although I took my order and copied it and sent it to Brian to review, he made a few tweaks/suggestions and then I ordered. He was incredibly helpful.

If you have a group of shooters local to you that you know, offer to let them in on your primer/powder order. You can divide it out & spread the shipping/hazmat charge easily. Sure you have to do some leg work but is that better than carrying the entire shipping & hazmat cost? If you fill an order from powder valley(about 50lbs), you can normally get the shipping/hazmat cost down to less than $1.50/lb powder or $1.50/k primers per item.

An excellent point and considering the hazmat/shipping charge, group bulk purchases make the most $$$ sense.

I'm pretty active in local competition (most reload), so getting together a few people isn't difficult (most of the time). I keep in touch with a lot of shooters, and people who reload..... a pretty vast network now :bow: Most are great, and always willing to help in a pinch (during the height of our recent components shortage I paid it forward and hooked a few people up with powder at cost +shipping/hazmat).

~g