Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting glasses

I wear prescription glasses and I am considering buying a set of prescription shooting glasses for shooting 3 gun. I have thick lens due to my sight being bad. What companies do you recommend buying shooting glasses and what lens tint would you get?

I went through my optometrist and had prescription placed in a pair of Wiley x sunglasses ( they sold them at the office). You don't want anything too dark due to various lighting conditions when shooting. I went with a reddish tint since I use red fiber optics on my pistol and it makes it pop. Also i liked the contrast it provides.

I have a high prescription. Can't really get lens that are curved too much due to it. Depends on prescription. I got my prescription from eye doctor and use an online company called Zenni. Have been using them for years for all my glasses and family glasses. They are foreign, Chinese or Japanese. Takes about 2-weeks to get. All kinds of sport type glasses, regular glasses, tints, and lens types. Very happy with them and super reasonable. I can buy 2 or 3 pairs with different tints for the cost of one thru my normal optometrist. Excellent quality.

gerritm

Depends on prescription I guess. Mine is pretty light so I can get away with anything. For years I've used Rudy Rydon's with the insert for prescritpion and changed the prescription as needed. Recently I picked a new pair of Rydon's with the prescription built into the outer shields and I love them. They do the whole digital mapped prescription thing so it is still the correct prescription when you look to the sides through the curved lens, photochromic, and very clear.

I'm sure there is a limit of much prescription they can do with that approach so go play with their website and see what you can get away with

https://www.e-rudy.com/en/products/filter/category/sunglasses/sub/rx-collection

Personally I no longer like the inserts behind lenses. This might be just me, but they sit to close to my face. Not usually an issue, but when I sweat, or the weather is humid I tend to fog them up or drip on them. I've went to the prescription in the shield and I hope that will keep that under control.

I use the Rydon's as well with prescription inserts. Make sure you check that feature out because I change between 5 different lenses,(red yellow clear dark and light) and keep the prescription insert behind it. If you have a big correction pony up for the good lenses. I believe it is high dispersion that will make the lenses thinner.

That actual corrective lens does sit close to your face but I clean them about 3 times during a 3 gun match.