Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Adjusting Sights - Yes or No?

Dfer

Just bgt a used STI Trojan in 38 Super for IPSC Classic division from one of my club's best shooters who is "Master Grade". The gun obviously suits him very well and has a lot of "go fast bits ". It has SVI hammer, sear, disconnector and spring, Techwell grip and well, mag release, Hi Viz front sight etc .but I am shooting left and, generally , high at 25 yards. In our target ISSF comp I am scoring around 350 out of 500 whereas the good shooters are up around 450 or higher. I tend to aim low right to compensate.

I've only been shooting pistol for 5 months and this is my first pistol.

My question is, should I adjust the sights so my point of aim is the target centre or should I focus on correcting my technique as it obviously worked very well set where it is for the previous owner?

Cheers

I often have to adjust my slights slightly when switching from one load to another. I'll test it by bracing my forearms on table (the gun shouldn't touch anything) and shoot a multitude of slow-fired groups to make sure it's the gun and not me.

First, determine if the issue is you or the gun. Shoot it off a rest and really work on fundamentals... Try and call your shots too.. You may shoot a few high and left, but then call a shot the hit the bullseye, this would tell you a lot. Adjusting your sights is an easy, fix, its a Band-Aid. With that said, and I agree with others that any time I change a load, ammo and especially get a new gun, adjusting the sights is probably necessary, I just want to make sure I am doing my part first.

Edited by Sac Law Man

Shoot the pistol from a rest to see if the gun is shooting off target or if its enduced when you shoot it. If it shoots good from a rest (or when someone else tries it) but shoots off target when you shoot it, then the problem is you, not the gun or the sights. Figure out why you are shooting off target (grip, trigger control, etc) and correct the issue. adjusting the sights and continuing to shoot poorly won't help you in the long run.

Shoot the pistol from a rest to see if the gun is shooting off target or if its enduced when you shoot it. If it shoots good from a rest (or when someone else tries it) but shoots off target when you shoot it, then the problem is you, not the gun or the sights. Figure out why you are shooting off target (grip, trigger control, etc) and correct the issue. adjusting the sights and continuing to shoot poorly won't help you in the long run.

^^^^^^This!

Edited by blueeyedme

What range do most folks use to set their IPSC sights? 10, 15, 25 yards?

25 , but I never had a logical reason for it.

Just ran one of the free internet ballistics calculator programs.

Assuming 9mm 125 grain, 125 pf (1000 fps) and a gun with a sight height 1" above the bore, it came up with:

0 at 25 => 1" low at the muzzle & 1.2" low at 50 yards . Seems to tell me that if things are right at 25 then I will be less than 1" off for any USPSA target I run into.

• 4 weeks later...

I have never heard of high left being caused by a flinch, so either it is really sighted high and you are pulling left or it is really sighted both high AND left. Was the original owner left handed? Perhaps he was pulling low right and adjusted the sights to compensate.

Either way, adjust them. The reason is more of a curiosity than a determining factor.