Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single Stack Divison Options

Chuck D

To add to the herd I recently picked up a Springfield Armory Oprtator 45 ACP. The model used to be called the Marine Corps Operator, two tone black and green. After a touch up on the trigger it shoots to just above point of aim and is exceptionally accurate. Add a mag well and you are in business.

Man, that isn't a lot of cash for all of that when you start looking at widgets like magwells.

If you could find a used gun your money would go further, especially if it was already set up for competition.

Check the classifieds here in addition to looking around your local area. Talk to other competitive shooters, you never know who's trying to sell something to fund that new open gun.

I went to my local store and picked a used project gun. The salesman's brother is a gunsmith so I told him I needed one for Rob to work over. $500 for the gun and $250 for the mods and I now have a nice SS gun.

Part of it was just timing. The gun was brought in as a trade and had not been prepped to go out on the shelves yet so I saved some money.

if you really can only spend a grand, spartan, RO, R1, or Ruger are all good guns. All may need $50 of gunsmith work to make the trigger awesome. Probably 45 because those run the easiest. I've had excellent results with chip mccormick mags and they are inexpensive (except I don't like the basepads).

Honestly tho, I would spend a bit more and get a trojan, or dan wesson. I would just go ahead and get a dawson ice magwell. The less expensive magwells aren't enough less expensive to make up for how much slower they are. You're going to put at least $100/month worth of ammo through it if you don't want to suck, so may as well do it right.

does your $1000 include holster/mag pouches?

Edited by motosapiens

No...the 1k is for the blaster and 5-6 extra mags.

I have the rig (Safariland) and all the other necessities.

I'm looking for and out of the box platform to start with and I know they'll be changes that are necessities. I have additional funds available if I break the budget by a 2k SS blaster isn't going to happen.