Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Eagle...ambi safety pinching web of hand

zipper046

Hey all,

Just purchased a sweet custom built STI Eagle from a forum member here. Gun is great...just one small issue that i've found that i'm hoping y'all can help me with...

The gun has an Ed Brown Ambidextrous safety. I need this because I am a LEFTY. When I disengage the safety, the left side safety is pinching the web of my left hand between my thumb and forefinger. The attached picture (sample photo, not actual gun) shows a red oval..that is the area where the web of my left hand is getting pinched....

Yes...I have large hands that are somewhat meaty...it looks like there is a small shelf on the grip running along the bottom of the safety and when I grip the gun some of my skin is being pushed into that area between the shelf and the safety. When I disengage the safety and it rolls downward, the gap between the bottom of the safety and the shelf is reduced and the skin of the web of my hand between the bottom of the safety and the shelf get's pinched.

I did find a different sequence in my target acquisition that has helped...after I draw and clear my holster, and while coming up on target, I disengage the safety (with my finger OFF THE TRIGGER and gun pointing downrange towards target of course) before I get a full grip. Once on target, I slightly adjust my grip a bit higher...this seems to prevent any skin from the web of my hand getting caught below the safety and the shelf in the grip. (I used to grip, acquire target, and after aligning sights disengage safety....)

So without changing how I grip & acquire anyone have other suggestions? File and shape the safety to give more room in the "gap"? Use a different "Thicker" ambi-safety to eliminate the gap? Sand down the shelf a bit to give more room?

Thanks!

Z-

post-13392-0-04593700-1439047587_thumb.j

Edited by zipper046

Is it stainless or chrome? If its stainless just blend it to your liking and either polish it or blast the area to match. If its chrome you will need to get it refinished.

If it were my gun I would get a new safety in stainless and grind on that and save this one for a spare. Safeties do break.

The wide EB is pretty popular

Is it stainless or chrome? If its stainless just blend it to your liking and either polish it or blast the area to match. If its chrome you will need to get it refinished.

If it were my gun I would get a new safety in stainless and grind on that and save this one for a spare. Safeties do break.

Sandbagger...machined stainless....

Sandbagger...machined stainless....

just blend it with a dremel and then repolish it. use a black marker to mark where you want to remove blend

Thanks guys! Will work on trimming the safety down this weekend...I've done quite a few modifications and maintenance work on Glocks over the years and minor upgrades (sights, magwells, etc) on 1911's I have...so pretty comfortable around a Dremel! LOL. I appreciate all the input!

Thanks guys...I am assuming I have to leave enough at the bottom of the thumb safety so that when it is fully engaged that it covers the small detent in the frame? Dumb question, I know, but this is first time for me doing this...if I mess it up, no worries...will just buy another ambi-safety! LOL...

Yes, leave enough to cover up the holes :roflol: and then bevel along the bottom edge as that will also cut down on the "trapping".

I had to do this too, the bevel is key so you dont have to remove as much of the actual edge.

(also left handed)

Eric

thanks guys! I ordered a Dawson Magwell for "LARGE" hands (which I have)...they have relief cuts on side and rear and it helped a little. I then took off the left side safety and with my small files I removed material and beveled the inside bottom edge.....Worked great! Still need to take a little bit more off to be fully comfortable, but progress being made. I appreciate the help from everyone!

Oh and if you shoot more you do build a nice callous up on your hand where everything rubs. Then you wont have to worry about being bitten or having a blister. After a summer of shooting, I have callouses on my hands and fingers from all the major wear points.

So maybe instead of sanding you just need to shoot more. ha-ha :)

The original owner has little girl hands and is right handed so he (me) didn't have the issue. Plus a little blood won't hurt it! Sounds like you have it all figured out anyway after reading your other topic.

Edited by dr2e

The original owner has little girl hands and is right handed so he (me) didn't have the issue. Plus a little blood won't hurt it! Sounds like you have it all figured out anyway after reading your other topic.

LOL! Thx dr2e! Yup...got it remedied....thanks again for a great transaction...running the gun tomorrow night in our local indoor USPSA shoot....