Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Blade tech moon clip holders

basman

I'd like to get some feedback from folk's using the Blade Tech dual moon clip holders.

I'm thinks about ordering some to replace the CCW "shoot the moon" holders that I currently use.

My main concerns are: Do they stay in while running? Is the Tech lock secure?

are they durable?

Thanks for any info!

Basman

They are fast and durable, but mine are loose as a goose, and I often drop moonclips while bending over or running to a halt. I intend to heat them a little and bend them to hold the rounds tighter, but not too tight, as you don't want an accidental demooning. The tech lock is more secure than any other form of fastener I know of because of the adjustment piece and the locking mechanism.

I'll agree with that. I've got some of the CCW and some Albright moonclip holders from pistolpacking.com, but I like my Bladetech holders. For me they're just a lot handier to load from. I've had a few problems with dropping the lower/angled moonclip when bending over but like he said, you just heat it a little and tighten the loops up.

I shoot a 646 and use Winchester brass when using these holders because the other brands tend to be a little smaller in the extractor groove and I've stripped a few off when I grabbed the moonclip from the holder. I always made sure I had two Winchester cases on the moonclip to anchor with. I don't know if anyone using the .45 had the same problem.

Jerry, I had the same problem with the stock "split" moonclips in .40 cal. I'm finding the new TK solid moonclips work best with Federal brass-WW is actually too dang tight for those clips.

Never had any of this trouble with .45 solid moonclips--everything works.

Mike

Basman,

I borrowed a couple of the bladetech holders from another guy on my squad when last month's local match included a field course requiring a minimum of 45 rounds ( B) ). I had time to try pulling the clips out once or twice for practice, and that's all; but they worked just fine, very instinctively, on the clock. With .45acp moonclips, I can't see having any problems with them. The way they lock on the belt is very handy, and they held the clips securely. When I need to order more moonclip holders, I might well go with them.

Mike, I was using Tk's solid moonclips for .38 Super. They were the only solid clips avilable last spring. There's only a couple thousandths difference in the Super and .40 extractor groove. You're right - the Winchester is tight but I didn't have to worry about them falling off. :) Everytime I tried using the split finger moonclips, I was guaranteed to strip off a round. I've got to order some Ranch moonclips now that they're out.

I was using the CCW holders when I was shooting the 625 so didn't have any experience with the Bladetech holders with the .45

Jerry

I have quite a few of the .45 and .357 bladetech holders. I love them. Both have worked great for me. Some were a little tight but nothing a hair dryer couldn't work out! :lol: Anyway, I would use them anyday over the CCW's I have except in IDPA where the bladetechs are now illegal. :angry:

Bob

Thanks for the help. I think I will pick up a couple of these to try, and to use them in addition to the CCW holders.

Anyone have any advice on the best place to buy some?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Finally bought some Blade tech holders. After a couple of minutes with a hair drier they fit perfectly. Tight enough to stay in while running yet the moon clips come out easily. I'll repot after I shoot a match with them

Hairdryer.... <_<

Wish I had of thought of that .... ooh thats right .... single male I don't own one.

I spent hours heating them in boiling water and trying to get them right.

Like you said basman, tight but not too tight and they work like a charm.

I believe there is one (if not two) of these behind a berm at the Havana, IL range. This should save you the money on buying new ones and throwing your own into the woods after they fail you in a major match. :P

These are great for holding them while your standing still and if you don't have a McDonald's Compensator above your belt line.

If you have an extra ten pounds or you have to move during the stage - I'd toss them in the woods.

Maybe nothing will happen the first 10-100 times you use them but eventually the rounds become loose in the holder, pop out while on the move or bending down.

When this happens to you in the major match you've waited all month to attend you will not appreciate how effective they were the first 99 times. ;)

Just my $0.02 but if you have to bake, boil, or blow dry your equipment...you might consider something else. B)

Which berm was it at Havana? I'm going up there in May and could always use free equipment. I too suffer from DoneLap's disease but prefer the Bladetechs to CCW moonclip holders because of the angle caused by my McDonald's compensator.

I challenge you to buy a piece of equipment that is absolutely 100% the way you want it when you buy it unless you spend mega bucks having it custom built for you. Some shooters want a snug fit, some want a tight fit and some want the rounds to just sit in the holder. Everybody's different.

Just my .02 worth