Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Durability input on the big surefire 60 and 100rd mags

I had generally disregarded these as a gimmick when they first came out, and heard some horror stories about reliability in matches. Never thought about them again until the USPSA Multigun Nats, when I saw several of them in use. Haven't seen any in the 3gun Nation regional events I have attended over the last couple years. Can anyone with personal first-hand knowledge tell me if they can be depended on? I shoot unlimited/open, so I am not restricted from using them, but I don't use the big Beta snail mags because they always seized up when I desperately needed to keep shooting. So, now that they have been out a while, what do we know abut the Surefires?

I have never had a problem with my Surefire 60 round mag, it is very reliable. The Surefire mags will jam if the ammo is mag length 2.260" OAL. Long range ammo that is mag length (like 77gr bullets) is a no go, they will jam.

The Surefire mags run just fine if you keep the ammo under 2.230". I run my 55gr. FMJ ammo in the Surefire 60 round mag 2.220" OAL and have never had a problem.

I have never tried the Surefire 100 round mag, but they are built the same as the 60 round mags so I would assume the 100 round mag doesn't like the mag length ammo (2.260") either.

I use a 40 round pmag for long range ammo if I need more than 30 rounds with out a mag change that you don't go prone.

If a rifle stage is 300 yards and under I would use the Surefire 60 round mag with my 55gr. FMJ ammo that is 2.220" OAL if the stage was a very high round count and I didn't want to do a mag change.

So yes the Surefire mags are reliable and do have a use, but not very often.

My son has been shooting 2 Surefire 60 rounders for 3 years. He uses them as his go to mag on almost every stage. Great to go prone. Always shoots factory ammo.Has had no problems with them. A couple of things we have learned. Cannot run long reloaded ammo. Do not unload with a Lula loader. For some reason if you try to unload these fast they will hang up.

gerritm

So far so good with my 60 rd. mag I use it for a good platform going prone. But only used 55grain factory or like mention above 2.220ol. I also have seen and heard problems in the past. But have not had any problems of my own.

So far so good with my 60 rd. mag I use it for a good platform going prone. But only used 55grain factory or like mention above 2.220ol. I also have seen and heard problems in the past. But have not had any problems of my own.

Hey Tom.......Graphite!.....same as a C mag form the Beta Corp. With this little tidbit they run like a watch, even with monarch ammo. A puff every 10 rounds or so. We run them in the full auto guns with nary a hitch. :)

I've run several hundred rounds of Sierra 69 Match Kings at 2.250" through my Surefire 60 with no issue. I've run many more hundred 55gr Hornady FMJ's with no issue as well. I have not tried the 100 round mag yet though.

What's your source for graphite powder?

Your local John Deere dealer will have it in 5# jugs

For you guys that shoot a lot.

;)

I bought one just before the big panic, tried it once with some Russian Steel case, jammed bad, I kinda forgot about it. Later I read about the OAL problems, got it back out not long ago, so far it has run 100% with the shorter ammo. Haven't tried it yet in a match, I will be taking it to RM3G next weekend, not sure if I'll need it.

Edited by toothandnail

Mine runs like a top. Haven't had a single issue even with my own reloads that have a COAL of 2.260.

I can't say that for several of my 3-gun friends who have had nothing but problems with theirs. *shrug*

What's your source for graphite powder?

Like Kurt said ACE hardware, NAPA auto parts. I keep a couple of tubes since I use it for building lock cylinders. I've also used P B Blaster DRY lube. Anything went in locks make it pick up crap and causing jamming, just like a magazine.

• 4 weeks later...

I do apologize for the resurrection. Does anyone use a magazine well extension that is compatible with these mags. I am late getting on this bus and I am searching for options. I have found that my arredondo is no longer a go. Just a curiosity really, but I liked the way the arredondo worked.

Never mind. I just saw they make a new version to fit it. All is well in idiotville again.

Edited by Forrest Halley

• 4 weeks later...