Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ TS conversion

NOSAJ19

I asked about that when I bought my 40 TS. I was told I'd need a new top end and it would have to be fit to the frame. The recommendation was to just buy a second pistol. The cost of the fitted upper was close enough to the cost of a new pistol that it wasn't worth it.

As it turns out, the 40 loaded to minor does everything the 9mm can do, and better.

Are the 40 & 9mm slide & breach faces same.

No

Can I fit a 9mm barrel & will it run reliably with 9mm?

My experience and the bulk of anecdotes I've read point to yes

Possibly change out extractor & use 9mm mags.

Mags are a must, extractor is probably not necessary

I simply dropped my buddy's 9mm barrel into my .40 slide and used his mags. Ran a 120 round match yesterday without a glitch. You do sometimes need to fit the 9mm barrel slightly.

This does not work all the time

Because the 9mm case is a loose fit in the .40 breechface some folks have had ejection issues. It is a bit of a gamble. Also you can not convert a 9mm to a .40. The .40 case is too large for the 9mm breechface.

Really surprised 9mm Luger works with a .40 S&W slide. .40 S&W dimensions are

Base diameter .424 in (10.8 mm) Rim diameter .424 in (10.8 mm) Rim thickness .055 in (1.4 mm) Case length

.850 in (21.6 mm)

and 9mm are

Base diameter 0.391 in (9.93 mm) Rim diameter 0.392 in ( 9.96 mm) Rim thickness 0.050 in (1.27 mm) Case length 0.754 in (19.15 mm)

However, comparing the numbers there really is not that much difference. Base diameter .033", rim diameter .032", rim thickness .005", and length .096".

Also, very surprised the slide barrel diameters are the same. After more thought, maybe not surprised. Why make slides with two different barrel diameters when the calibers only differ by only 0.03937 or 1 mm. Cheaper to only make one size. Would be interesting to see what the breach face dimensions are for 9mm and .40 S&W....... Wonder if CZ only makes on breach face that works with both calibers and the only difference is the markings..... Doubtful CZ would do that.

Strange timing on this thread. Just three hours ago I came upon a For Sale ad for a TS in 40 at what I thought was a sweet price, but I want one in 9. I had been pondering switching it to 9... Good info here.

So with some reserch, including the great advice here, this is where I'm at.

I have a CZ TS in 40 & 357sig. I can fit a 9mm barrel & run 9mm on the 40 slide. The breach faces are different on both 9mm & 40. May require a 9mm extractor, whick is the same 9mm extractor part for all 9mm CZ's. Have heard folks fitting an SP01 mag release into TS & running SP01/75/85 mags with reliability.

Now to source the TS 9mm barrel here in Austalia.

Cheers, Ando.

• 5 months later...

I just received my TS 9mm barrel from CZUSA and fit the barrel to my .40 TS slide. To answer a few questions, based on what I researched beforehand (and I did a LOT of research... it's just how I am):

• While the .40 breech face is larger than it needs to be for 9mm, it's not that big a difference.
  • The part number appears to be the same for the 9mm and .40 extractors, so same part from what I can tell
  • Based on my limited testing of several hundred rounds, the 9mm barrel works just fine in the .40 slide once it's been fit properly.
  • The barrels are pretty hard to find. Best bet is to set up a notification the CZUSA site. They'll email when they come back in stock. It took about 1.5 months of waiting, but that's what worked for me.
  • 9mm mags are needed for the 9mm barrel conversion, though that's it. The springs, extractor, and everything else seem to be good enough as they are.

The only downside I've noticed is the POI shifts pretty dramatically when I swap in the 9mm barrel. While the windage is pretty much right on (close enough at 20 yds), the elevation is way off. My test shots were about 3.5-4" high at 20 yds. I've got not basis for comparison, so I can't tell you if this is typical or just luck of the draw after fitting.

Also interesting, I was impatient when the gun came and I didn't have the mags right away. I had some 9mm mags and tried putting .40 in them. The capacity is off, but it worked for me (.40 in the 9mm mags). Might help someone else out in a pinch where you have to borrow a mag.

Hope this helps!

I asked about that when I bought my 40 TS. I was told I'd need a new top end and it would have to be fit to the frame. The recommendation was to just buy a second pistol. The cost of the fitted upper was close enough to the cost of a new pistol that it wasn't worth it.

As it turns out, the 40 loaded to minor does everything the 9mm can do, and better.

I've run some .40 loads that BARELY made minor for some steel challenge matches with my TS, just changed out to an 11lb recoil spring. It felt softer than some of the 9mm minor loads I've shot, but that might just be because the weight of the TS does so much to soften recoil, and the fact that the TS is the best gun EVER. And that's a fact, not an opinion :P

I've run some .40 loads that BARELY made minor for some steel challenge matches with my TS, just changed out to an 11lb recoil spring. It felt softer than some of the 9mm minor loads I've shot, but that might just be because the weight of the TS does so much to soften recoil, and the fact that the TS is the best gun EVER. And that's a fact, not an opinion :P

You might check the accuracy on your powder puff .40s. Folks tend to forget that a fair number of bullet/powder combinations are noticeably more accurate at a higher PF. Yours may be fine though. Just something to check. I'm with you though. My 3gun .40 loads are a joy to shoot.

I've run some .40 loads that BARELY made minor for some steel challenge matches with my TS, just changed out to an 11lb recoil spring. It felt softer than some of the 9mm minor loads I've shot, but that might just be because the weight of the TS does so much to soften recoil, and the fact that the TS is the best gun EVER. And that's a fact, not an opinion [emoji14]

You might check the accuracy on your powder puff .40s. Folks tend to forget that a fair number of bullet/powder combinations are noticeably more accurate at a higher PF. Yours may be fine though. Just something to check. I'm with you though. My 3gun .40 loads are a joy to shoot.

That's an excellent point. In my case I didn't notice an issue as I usually only shoot those in steel challenge. I imagine at longer ranges at a USPSA match you might find some degradation in accuracy.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk