Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

R.O. Got in the way

bret

I wasn't the R.O. just helping with the tablet to score.

If you were keeping score, you were also a range officer.

Can you help me with a rule that confirms this? I agree that the scorekeeper assists the RO (Defined at 7.1.1) and the RO would be smart to listen to a scorekeeper, but I don't see where the scorekeeper has equal authority.

Interestingly, though, the rules discuss scoring as if the RO is the one doing it. (9.7.1)

if you are assisting with getting shooters through a stage you are an RO.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you help me with a rule that confirms this? I agree that the scorekeeper assists the RO (Defined at 7.1.1) and the RO would be smart to listen to a scorekeeper, but I don't see where the scorekeeper has equal authority.

Interestingly, though, the rules discuss scoring as if the RO is the one doing it. (9.7.1)

Thanks Sarge,

I am relatively new to this sport but been shooting over 30 years.

I have signed up for the Level 1 R.O. course and have read the rules several times. But was not sure who is the one actually to make these calls.

Unfortunately at a major match the CRO on the stage I helped at was not fair and impartial with the way he dealt with people, he was a very nice guy but there were several rules violated that should have been a,DQ. But he let them slide.

I am not looking to DQ anyone but the rules are pretty clear.

Thanks Sarge,

I have signed up for the Level 1 R.O. course and have read the rules several times. But was not sure who is the one actually to make these calls.

Unfortunately at a major match the CRO on the stage I helped at was not fair and impartial with the way he dealt with people, he was a very nice guy but there were several rules violated that should have been a,DQ. But he let them slide.

You don't DQ anyone, they DQ themselves. You just have to tell them.

Thanks Sarge,

That's a shame about the CRO on that stage. It's one thing to be a nice guy but you always have to be fair and adhere to the rules. That's how we maintain our safety record.

I was taught from day one as an RO that the guy on the timer watches the gun first and foremost and anything else he can. The RO on the clipboard looks for other things like wall hits etc. Both look for 180's because one RO typically can't be in a position to see both angles in a large COF.

I guess I am blessed to shoot where the majority of us are certified. We all help each other with our respective matches. It's pretty common for us to have a whole squad of RO's on any given weekend . when somebody breaks the 180 or touches off an AD etc the chorus joins the RO in singing stop. lol

GrumpyOne,

That is a very good way to look at it.

I had a loaded gun come our of my holster. I screwed up, didn't lick it in, when I was running it fell out.

I immediately stopped then the R.O. with the timer realized why, because he didn't see it.

I felt bad because I knew I screwed up, the R.O. and the main R.O. we're very nice about it and I told them I was sorry and no need for them to explain it to me, I know you go to Dairy Queen when you drop a gun after the make ready.

... but the rules are pretty clear.

I wonder if you'll still say after you go through the LI and LII classes. Let us know...

What I was talking about are 3 what I consider clear rules.

1. No handling ammo in the safe area.

To me this does not allow you to see why ammo that wouldn't function in your AR15 wouldn't feed, by putting several rounds that failed to feed on your previous stage to see what the problem is, Inside the safe area.

2. Abandoning a loaded with a round in the chamber 2011 with the safety off.

Guy said he put it on safety when he ditched the gun, when it was checked, it was not on safe.

3. Guy at make ready put a loaded 2011 in his holster without the safety on.

All 3 of these are automatic D.Q. from what I read in the rules.

None were DQd, only guy in scenario 2 was penalized, 30 seconds.

The CRO running the stage also allowed people that abandoned their shotgun and traveled more,way more than 3 feet to come back. Secure the shotgun in the Fitch barrel or even re engage the targets, after yelling barrel.

To me that violates the rule of more than 3 feet is an abandoned gun and coaching.

But I have not been through the classes yet, but I do read the rules and keep a book in my bag and they are in my phone as a .pdf.

Yes it was a USPSA 3 gun match, I read the rules for 3 MultiGun since that was the match.

The rules are pretty much the same on the issues I mentioned.

I was at another match, local club, guy ran in front of the firing line, took 12 shots, ran in front of his loaded AR15, the R.O. was yelling at him to come back to the proper firing line instead of yelling STOP.

He ended up getting 1 procedural, instead of 12 and a D.Q.

I asked why, since I never shot there before, the guus on the squad said he was the R.O.'s buddy.

If I was the R.O. I would have DQ'D the guy, I would not care if he donated a kidney to me or was my best friend, he should be DQ'D for that.

I shoot mostly USPSA, but that is because there are 2 to 3 matches a week and there are only 3 maybe 4 3 gun matches per month here.

Outlaw match, outlaw rules, sometimes to be determined as they go along

Beware of where u attend

I won't even go to a public indoor range anymore in fear of improper gun handling

but many Level 1 matches don't have a RM or even a certified RO.

Maybe it's different in other places, but I'd question that statement.

I can see a few matches here and there that might not have a certified RO, but I would think the vast majority of matches do have a certified RO, now if you are talking each and every squad, that's a different story.