Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Popped primers

jchris4769

I pull the trigger, the striker hits the primer, the bullet does not leave the barrel, the case expands and sticks in chamber. After clearing, the round has empty primer pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like primer pocket did not hold the primer. May have brass shot through a open gun or was poorly seated during loading.

Think I see a ring around the base of the primer so that brass was swagged after loaded at the factory, this will make it hard

to seat a primer without removing the swage.

Always inspect 9mm brass before before loading, easiest way is to use a couple of factory bullet trays and a box.

Pour the brass into one tray and most will fall base down into the tray. look from the side and remove any .380's,

Supers or any other junk that has found it's way into the tray. A standard lead pencil works easily using the eraser

end. Look down in the cases for any with chigger bites on the rim trash in the case or berdan primers holes.

Place the other tray over the second and flip. Now your looking at the rim, inspect any for swagged circle around

the primer and military case. I discard these as my 650 won't remove the swagged primer pockets. Military cases have

a smaller case volume.

Once loaded place ammo in a box and shake, loose primer pockets will drop the primers and can be removed before

causing grief at the range.

If the bullet doesn't come out of the case, and the case doesn't explode in the chamber, then presumably the powder was missing or didn't burn, the primer ignited, and the pressure was relieved by blowing the primer out the back side. I doubt even a primer crimp and the breech face would keep it in.

One Q: Why didn't this function as a squib, pushing the bullet into the chamber? I would take some calipers to unfired rounds and measure case length and overall length. I would pull the bullet and see if it contains any powder at all, or if it does what it looks like after the primer fired. Pull more rounds - is this a one-off or do you have a bad box?

I don't see how the gun/striker is the issue.

IMHO - this ammo is suspect at best, UNRELIABLE and DANGEROUS at worst. You could easily have one fire as a squib, push/lodge a bullet into the barrel, cycle the gun, and have the next round fire normally - and KaBoom your Glock.

I'm thinking ammo too. Like beastly I don't see it as a striker problem. I was also thinking you should pull some bullets and see what the powder looks like. Did the bullet lodge in the barrel like a squib? You mentioned the case expanded and was hard to get out.

I've seen primers pop out from over pressure, but I wouldn't think that is your problem since the bullet didn't leave the barrel. Did it sound like a squib when you fired it?

What kind of ammo is that? I just googled POF headstamp and came up with old Pakistan surplus ammo. And it sounds like it's not a very reliable ammo. Try some new stuff like WWB or something, see if that solves your problem.

I pull the trigger, the striker hits the primer, the bullet does not leave the barrel, the case expands and sticks in chamber. After clearing, the round has empty primer pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 questions:

Did you find the primer loose in the gun anywhere, and was it detonated?

And could it be that the round was missing the primer in the first place? It could happen, even with factory ammo. Maybe the brass was never sized down and a primer never put in it. Could explain why it is tight in the chamber, and there's no primer.

Edited by Postal Bob

I had the same thing on 38s old brass reloaded to maj several times. The primer pocket is loose. Primer was there when loaded to the mag and gun but due to recoil primer drops out of the pocket and becomes a dummy round when chambered. I use these old brass in practice and discard them when encountered. I use different set of brass in matches.

That may be factory ammo, but I bet it's re-manufactured factory ammo...no way should a striker pierce a primer, the powder not burn, and then the primer sticks to the striker....wet powder, loose primer pockets.

+1