Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magazines not dropping free

hlpressley

Any ideas as to why Mec-Gar 17 round AFC mags would randomly not drop free during dry fire drills? Mags are brand new but seem to feel slick and smooth. Is this a mag problem or a gun problem?

Thanks in advance!

I had the same problem at a match last week. It was either because the mags were not clean by dropping them on a wet range or because of the liquid grip i just put on my hands. Either way I applied some oil and wiped them off and everything dropped free on the next stage.

empty mag? full mag? partial mag?

what grips on the pistol? what pistol?

what do the factory mags do?

Empty mag

SSI scales on SP-01 Shadow

factory mags do the same

It seems that it is actually a problem with me more than anything. I am a new CZ shooter coming from the M&P where the mag release almost kicked the magazines out regardless of the angle of the gun. I tend to have the gun turned somewhat sideways before pushing the mag release and that doesn't seem to work with the CZ. Mags drop fine as long as the mags are still pointed toward the ground but if the gun is turned up on it's side at all they catch about half way out. I hope that makes some kind of sense.

makes sense.

I haven't had that problem

i'd double check grip screws and mag brake to make sure nothing is unnecessarily making contact.

Edited by eerw

There are a few reasons I have run in to:

• Mag brake - inside the grip (take the grips off) there is a peice of steel that protects the springs and such from dirt, if this is protruding in any way it can hang up your mags. You can order a "drop free" mag brake to solve the issue, or bend the ones thats in there out of the way.
  • The mag release - Sometimes if you push too hard the mag release will actually pin the magazine inside the magwell. There is a simple fix for this as well. You need to pull the mag release spring and bend the right leg about 10-15% in towards the other leg. This will allow the mag release to go far enough to drop the mag, but not far enough to pin the mag in place. Check out this post for the way it should look when you bend it http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=188436
  • Magazine springs - (This sounds like it may fix your issue out of the 3 i've listed) The spring in the mag is really what causes the mags to pop out when you press the mag release, it puts tension on the follower which is pressing against the slide release.....put +10% power springs in your mags and you will get that little jump out of the magwell you are looking for. Can find those springs here: http://www.gunsprings.com/Semi-Auto%20Pistols/CZ/75%20Series/cID1/mID16/dID91#842

Hope that all makes sense and you can figure it out!

Edited by Vanniek71

• Mag brake - inside the grip (take the grips off) there is a peice of steel that protects the springs and such from dirt, if this is protruding in any way it can hang up your mags. You can order a "drop free" mag brake to solve the issue, or bend the ones thats in there out of the way.
  • The mag release - Sometimes if you push too hard the mag release will actually pin the magazine inside the magwell. There is a simple fix for this as well. You need to pull the pag release spring and bend the right leg about 10-15% in towards the other leg. This will allow the mag release to go far enough to drop the mag, but not far enough to pin the mag in place. Check out this post for the way it should look when you bend it http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=188436
  • Magazine springs - (This sounds like it may fix your issue out of the 3 i've listed) The spring in the mag is really what causes the mags to pop out when you press the mag release, it puts tension on the follower which is pressing against the slide release.....put +10% power springs in your mags and you will get that little jump out of the magwell you are looking for. Can finds those springs here: http://www.gunsprings.com/Semi-Auto%20Pistols/CZ/75%20Series/cID1/mID16/dID91#842

Thank you! That makes perfect sense as it pertains to the springs as it feels like when the mag release is pressed it just doesn't have enough pop to push it all of the way out like I am accustomed to with the M&P. I will order a few packs of springs and hopefully that fixes the issue.

• Magazine springs - (This sounds like it may fix your issue out of the 3 i've listed) The spring in the mag is really what causes the mags to pop out when you press the mag release, it puts tension on the follower which is pressing against the slide release.....put +10% power springs in your mags and you will get that little jump out of the magwell you are looking for. Can finds those springs here: http://www.gunsprings.com/Semi-Auto%20Pistols/CZ/75%20Series/cID1/mID16/dID91#842

Thank you! That makes perfect sense as it pertains to the springs as it feels like when the mag release is pressed it just doesn't have enough pop to push it all of the way out like I am accustomed to with the M&P. I will order a few packs of springs and hopefully that fixes the issue.

I didn't think the +10 springs fit the Mecgar mags. Maybe someone else can confirm.

I didn't think the +10 springs fit the Mecgar mags. Maybe someone else can confirm.

Lol I can confirm because that's what I use in my Mec Gars......... Edited by Vanniek71

I have yet to venture past that screw which holds the mag release and lifter spring. Any links on how to remove it and install properly? I read where CGW said not to use loctite and other posts saying that there is a fine line between not tight enough and too tight. Saw another post saying to replace lifter spring with new one if you take it out since after being removed it doesnt behave and stay in its place. I havent messed with mine yet and I also want to be sure I buy a proper driver for the job. My Magna tip set from brownells will likely have a good fitting slot head but I am not sure that wrench is strong enough to remove this staked screw.

Check out http://www.olegnikitin.com/news/complete-disassembly-assembly-of-cz-75-sp-01-shadow

Nice walk through on pistol disassembly.

As far as the screw goes, it's not staked in like you'd think. A nice wide screwdriver broke mine loose the first time I had to remove it. I haven't replaced the lifter spring, I didn't have any issues with mine you just need to make sure the screw is reinstalled tightly and it should be fine.

As far as the loc-tite - a little dab of the blue non-permanent works just fine.

There was a post on here where CGW said it happens to where that screw gets messed up and milling is required to remove it which is doable but if loctited then its not. Honestly mostly what I use is permatex non hardening gasket maker fro automotive like head gaskets etc. It simply fills the threads and is sticky enough to hold sight screws etc and it stays put. In that link it even says to not over tighten that screw so I think some of the permatex would be great for that.

I guess I wont be so worried about taking it out then. I have a nice quality RC flat head driver with a wide and flat head that fits the slot quite well. I wanted to tension my mag release spring a bit since on one of my Sp-01s the mags dont click in as well as my other Sp-01. They seat fine but its not a nice snap sound once the lock. The mag release is being pushed out the opposite side of the frame ever so slightly and I think one leg of that spring is pushing more toward the right and side pulling the release inward a bit. I think if I were to tension the spring to push the release outward it would draw in the opposite side and then be a more positive snap when the mag is seated.

Edited by brian45acp

Remember where these guns came from, they were built to take a beating! The screw will come out fine, that thread stuff will work too :) And if a screw or spring gets messed up... There are replacements available! Heck since I switched to CZ I have a replacement for everything now - you never know when something's gonna break!

Another issue I've seen is the trigger bar lifter spring can get torqued and one of the legs will press against the magazine slowing it just enough to where it won't fall free. If that's the case you'll have to loosen the screw and correct the spring's position. If you over tighten the screw it will just torque back into the magazine. That's why I usually stake the screw in place after setting it.

Liquid grip is always the cause for mine not falling out. If I go about 4 stages without wiping my mags they will hang up a bit. I usually always break down and wipe my mags after each stage because most bays are sandy, but when it shoot grassy matches I forget to wipe my mags since I don't wipe them down.

This is going to sound crazy but this is what I am seeing....

It almost seems like the centrifugal force of me twisting my wrist is working just enough against gravity to prevent the magazine from falling free. I am hoping the +10% springs will give some added "pop" that will allow them to drop free. It is hard for me to believe that my hand is working fast enough to create more energy in a reverse motion than the mag release and gravity, but the faster I twist my wrist around into my work space to anticipate a reload the further the magazine stays seated in the mag well.

Edited by hlpressley

It seems to be worse when the gun is at slide lock (IDPA).

It will be. The mags eject from the pressure that is applied by the mag spring. So if there are rounds left in there, the spring has more tension on it due to being compressed.

When the mag is empty the spring is pretty much fully extended and doesnt have as much tension.

Make sense?

If you are replacing the springs, try this.....

Pull an old spring out, and stretch it out a bit, or a lot if you are gonna toss them. Reassemble the mag and try ejecting it. Should fire out of the gun because the spring has more pressure in the mag and is pressing agains the follower harder

(Don't do this with good springs, deforming them can cause them to weaken and not work properly)