Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Inspired by the My Biggest Toy thread...

GeorgeInNePa

This round was thought up by a sicko from the www.accuratereloading forums. When I saw this idea I knew I needed one. Rob Garnik based this on a .577 Nitro, rim removed, belt added, straight walled.

f9ad9d49.jpg

400gr .416TBBC, .416Rigby, 900gr .620" Woodleigh soft, .600OK

f9ad9d4f.jpg

.416Rigby in the muzzle of the .600 barrel

Rob had the reamer made and 8 of us had barrels made by Pac-Nor. These were 26", I had mine cut to 23". Rob claims a 900gr WW at up to 2400fps. I have gotten to 2250, which is over 10000 ft-lbs of energy. This is more than enough. My normal hunting load(Itook it for bear this year) is 160grs of H4350, this gives a 3 shot avg of 2159fps.

f8b9e487.jpg

Metal in the white, wood almost done.

f77bd22c.jpg

Done. Quarter-Rib, barrel band and brake were made by my smith, the same nut who does all my work. He also did all the wood work, he started with a stock blank.

He got this beast to feed from a CZ550 .416 action, using the factory mag box. It holds 1 in the pipe and 2 down.

Recoil? You tell me...

f8ba06d3.jpg

Jugs of water are no match for the mighty...yada yada yada...

f779c3b1.jpg

Really enjoyed that forum when I 1st found it & quickly learned that certain cartridges are exempt from BATF's ruling that anything rifled, breachloading and over .50 cal is generally destructive device. Turns out things like the ".600 overkill" have been examined & declared "sporting" calibers.

Too cool - so now can we expect a "He-Man" or Heavy Metal sub-division for MOR using .50s, Overkills, & 4-Bores?

Thanks for the pics,

D.C. Johnson

I've seen this beast up close and personal. It can only be out classed by the .700 Jackass soon to be built by George. Why? Because he can.

But Chriss, I was waiting for you to be the Jackass, I mean build the Jackass.

:D;)

A few more tidbits about the rifle. It weighs right at 13lbs., with 2-11oz mercury recoil-reducers in the butt stock.It balances right on the front guard screw. The pad is a Kick-Ezz. The recoil is stout, but not as bad as you'd expect. Then again, I own a Ruger RSM in .416Rigby that I shoot quite a bit, so maybe I'm not as sensitive as some. Or maybe I'm just sillier than most.

We were shooting water filled pumpkins at the FSC October match(don't ask why). We were using 900gr softs which we hollow-pointed in the lathe with a centerdrill. The HP's were around 850grs seated over 160grs of H4350. I could shoot two, one after the other quite quickly. My shot breaks were around the 2.5 to 2.75 seconds on a 25 yard pumpkin. God that sounds funny.

The 2250fps load I mentioned in my first post is 166grs of H4350. The recoil from this is very heavy, my gunsmith insists that it feels like all your internal organs shift around and that it takes a few minutes for them to go back to the right place.

f77bd762.jpg

f77bd74f.jpg

That is a sweet rifle. I read this article a while back about a guy building a 4 bore rifle that shot 1700gr bullets that were .962 inch diameter. Here is a pic of it next to a 500 nitro

4bore_part1_p1p20v5no4.jpg

Funny you mention the 4 bore. Another wacko at our club just built a flintlock muzzleloading 4-bore. got to shoot it after our last match. 1800grs. or so lead roundball over 400grs of FFg. The recoil was like my 166gr load in the 600, but it was a much longer recoil pulse.

He made a good-looking rifle too! Big-bores are too cool.

Someone spoke of going to a one inch bore. Have you ever seen J.D. Jones creation, the 950JDJ? He sent me some photos. Maybe I'll try to post them.

.600 Overkill & .700 Jackass = Best cartridge propietary names ever.

Exept maybe for my own .999 Almost There (also soon to be known as the 25mm WTF) and its big brother .999 Almost There Magnum... (Don't you DARE steal the names from me... I'll go trade mark them first thing in the morning!!!) :P

Built a 460 G&A in '85...not as big as those but a 500 gr at 2450 and shot a solid completely thru a 32" Live Oak tree...talk about penetration.....

Big Bores are very cool...my bud has a 50BMG and we thought about having a 20mm made up but it was a destructive round according to the Feds...

George - thanks again for the pic.s

So that rifle is built on a CZ-550 action? It seems like a great rifle; does your smith have a website and would he consider building another such rifle? Thanks!

D.C. Johnson

George - thanks again for the pic.s

So that rifle is built on a CZ-550 action? It seems like a great rifle; does your smith have a website and would he consider building another such rifle? Thanks!

D.C. Johnson

Dude, what the heck are you going to do with it???