Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My 1st DQ last weekend

balmo

I'm a sporadic USPSA shooter for the past 3 years and this is my 1st match DQ. We had a big level 1, SS/Prod. only match last Sunday. Targets on both wings and a door to enter in the middle to shoot more targets.

Swept my hand while opening the door. Shooters in my squad told me lefties are riskier opening doors. Going through the motions, I can now see why.

I was equally pissed and humbled by my DQ. At least now its ingrained in my brain what to do when opening ports in front of me ~ move the gun up!

I watched my GoPro video from one of my recent matches and I'm pretty sure I swept my hand while opening a door. It's always a little difficult to tell, due to the distortion from the wide angle lens, but it looked that way to me. The RO didn't call it and didn't even mention it being close, so either he didn't see it or it wasn't as close as I thought. Still a learning experience, nonetheless.

Idk about the shooters in your squad, which way the door swings is what makes it risky, i.e. some are right risky, some are left risky. As a general point your gun in an upward direction when going through doors and sweeping becomes a nonissue. Unless the knob is really high.

Coming from the left, the door opens form right to left. I just check my Contour headcam and I didn't sweep my hand; missed it by probably 2-4 inches.

But the RO does not have the luxury of looking at a video nor is it even admissible in a USPSA match. He has to be watching every move and violations happen in a fraction of a second sometimes. He called what he saw. My point in all of this rambling is to keep your hands WELL CLEAR of each other when sweeping is possible. It eliminates close calls that, as you learned, can go against you. Kind of like keeping the finger out of the trigger guard. If you keep the finger straight the RO can see clearly it is not in the trigger guard. If you curl the tip and just hold it on the edge then he can't. Plus a trip or fall could lead to an AD with a curled finger.

Nobody got hurt is number one. And you have some satisfaction in what the video shows

the lesson as sarge pointed out is that even though (according to your view) you didn't sweep yourself, you did however put yourself in a position where the RO saw something he didn't like and DQ'd you.

my one and only DQ came from a similar thing (called for sweeping, was on a wonky bridge with very low ports in the front, used left hand to hold the hand rail to shoot SHO through the low port, on the way up gun and weak hand came close, on the vid you can clearly see not swept but the RO called it). In my case as in yours sweeping or not the fault was entirely mine. I committed an action which was very close and from the perspective the RO had it clearly looked worse than it was. He did absolutely the right thing and DQ'd me. I was pretty gutted being it was a 2 day match and I was on the 2nd last stage of the 2nd day but there is no one to blame but myself. I'd never been on a platform suspended by chains before, let alone one with multiple low ports along the front and to make things worse I was 2nd up on the stage so did not have the benefit of watching how others would approach it. It was a memory stage too and very easy to get lost and miss or re-shoot targets. So rather than being conscious of not sweeping I was purely focused on my firing positions and what to shoot from each position. I learned from the experience and the very first thing I do on any stage is asses any possible 'safety' issues like doors, props to hold, windows etc.

As many will tell you there are basically 2 groups of ipsc shooters. those who have been DQ'd and those who will be. As long as you learn from it, it's not a wasted experience.

For those that are curios about doors and hinges, there are four type of hinging. Left hand, right hand, left hand reverse, and right hand reverse. The easiest way to distinguish them is to stick your ass on the hinge and does it go move to you left or right? It gets confusing because the regular vs reverse changes due to how the lockset engages.... Doors are not left or right hand friendly, they're either with you, or against you

• 3 weeks later...

For those that are curios about doors and hinges, there are four type of hinging. Left hand, right hand, left hand reverse, and right hand reverse. The easiest way to distinguish them is to stick your ass on the hinge and does it go move to you left or right? It gets confusing because the regular vs reverse changes due to how the lockset engages.... Doors are not left or right hand friendly, they're either with you, or against you

:cheers:

fellow door nerd here ^

I get what youre saying, although anyone who doesnt work with doors regularly probably has no idea what youre talking about. :roflol:

this is one of many reasons you want to always keep your gun up where you can see it. Every time you drop it below your shoulder you run the risk of something bad happening because it gets much tougher to see where the muzzle is in relation to things that matter ...