Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

open glock 35?

dghboy315

my dad wants to build an open gun using a glock 35. he does not reload and does not want to start, but he wants to use a red dot sight and he wants to say in major. he's also set on a tube style sight.

how would you guys build it?

I can't imagine shooting Open without reloading.

You can just mount a JP or Doctor red dot and shoot the 35. You will be major with the right ammo but you won't enjoy the benefits of a compensated gun.

Really, I wouldn't. It'd be throwing away money on an uncompetitive project, in what would be a VERY expensive effort. Unless you're filthy stinking rich, shooting major factory ammo is going to limit you to .45 or .40, which aren't really competitive in open and are really expensive as far as factory ammo goes.

And if you're rich enough to afford buying the large amounts of factory ammo to shoot IPSC, you shouldn't be trying to shoot with with a compromised gun (.40/.45 open Glock).

yes, he's rich. no, he does not want to be competitive. he just wants to shoot a .40, use a red dot, and have FUN. i said, "well, if you are going to use a red dot, why don't you just build an open gun."

so, again, the question is: how would you build an open glock 35?

also, how would you build the mags?

Bar Sto ported match barrel, decent trigger job by one of several people, magwell, tungsten guide rod, stipple the grip, and mount the dot........

Bob's answer for the gun. If you're going to shoot open, it'll have to be Taylor Freelance Pads --- they ought to get you around 23 rounds of .40. That's not enough to be truly competitive, but it's as good as it gets.....

Forget the tube sight and get a Docter melted into the slide by Beven Grams, or a JPoint by JP Rifles. This is the best setup for a Glock IMO, it acquires just like iron sights instead of requiring a learned find the dot exercise like with the C-More and Aimpoint’s that ride high above the bore. They also sit back from any comp/ports and don’t need a blast shield like a forward mounted dot sight might.

Get the Charlie Vanek trigger mod done and get a captured stainless guide rod with a quality spring (Glockmeister, or Custom Glock Racing).

Get a ported KKM, or Barsto bbl. Easier than pharting with a comp for this project. Staying away from the comp makes holster choice a whole lot easier too.

Get Taylor Freelance +8 basepads for your “standard capacity” magazines and that will about do it.

Good luck,

I agree with George, but if he insists on a tube sight, you can get a Carver mount for the Aimpoint. You need to do some surgery to a holster to make it work however.

For the CR Speed, you'll need to Dremel the snot out of it so the Carver mount will fit.

I doubt a comp will do much with factory ammo unless you buy very expensive 135 grain ammo, so you might try it without the comp - or just get some ports cut into the factory barrel. There's another thread on this topic, but IMO you really don't need an aftermarket barrel if the factory barrel produces good accuracy.

Taylor mag extentions have the best capacity. Arredondo are good as well, but only hold 19 or so.

BTW, some more trick things to do to a Glock:

- JP extended mag release. Thought it was superfluous, got one off a prize table and installed it. I won’t take it off now!

- True Grip by Eric Wesselman, great stuff to make your Glock stick to your hand like it is glued there.

--

Regards

I know Caspian28R is also looking into building an Open Glock. For some guys, the Glock is the only thing that points right for them and they're fighting their natural point if they're shooting anything else. With enough work done the right way and practice, Caspian28R (Eric) can make quite a lot of things competitive.

what kind of belt and holster system would work w/ a carver mount and aimpoint/c-more

Not much without modification as Cy suggested. That is another good reason for the Docter/J-Point direction.

--

Regards,