Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Moving - USPSA / duck hunting in Pittsburg PA area

My son is moving to Pittsburg PA in August to attend graduate school at the Univ of Pitt. He is a USPSA Open div M and will be looking for USPSA, steel, or rimfire matches in the area. Any suggestion?

He is also an avid waterfowl hunter. Any suggestions for duck hunting in the area. He will have no dog or boat :(

Lastly, he is licensed to carry a firearm in MA. Does anyone know the legalities of him bringing his firearms to PA to shoot / hunt with? (He just got an apartment. Not living on campus). He will be in Pitt for 4-5 yrs while working on his PhD, but will remain a MA resident. We know he will need a non resident hunting license, but does he need to obtain a PA non resident LTCF or other firearms license? He does not plan to carry concealed, just shoot matches and hunt. I tried to call the sheriff's office in Pitt but kept getting disconnected.

Any help is appreciated.

Best,

Nick-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plenty of USPSA shooting here in western PA. He can hit up the USPSA site and access the western PA web page.

Here are some of the clubs: http://www.uspsa.org/locate-uspsa-clubs-results.php

Here is the western PA site: http://westernpasection.com/wordpress/east-huntingdon-practical-shooting/

Not a lot of great hunting around here IMO. Some ducks up by lake moraine and further north up by Erie but nothing that has motivated me to get out and do it. There is a decent deer population but not many quality deer. Lots of 125" 8 pints walking around. Lots of does too. The archery hunting is ok - and Ohio is close by with good deer hunting. Of note - no Sunday hunting in PA.

I think there are several good USPSA clubs in the area. Lower Providence Rod and Club come to mind. Check the club finder.

That would be a ~ 300 mile commute to the match.....

LP is great -- but located outside of Philadelphia -- at the other end of the state....

I think there are several good USPSA clubs in the area. Lower Providence Rod and Club come to mind. Check the club finder.

LP is great -- but located outside of Philadelphia -- at the other end of the state....

And?

I drive 300 round trip to one of my "local" matches in Colorado. Distances are bigger out here. Carpooling helps.

He's got a few choices for USPSA. Pardoe,and Pitcairn will be the closest. Erie, we've got Gem City and Eagles Nest pistol club. All great places to shoot. Have him message me if he's shooting Erie.

As for ducks, Presque Isle bay was great last year. And it's shallow enough in spots you can wade out to retrieve.

Clairton and Pitcairn-Monroeville are within 30 minutes of Oakland, East Huntington is well under an hour, am not sure how far some of the others are.

As mentioned, duck hunting nothing to write home about here.

And?

I drive 300 round trip to one of my "local" matches in Colorado. Distances are bigger out here. Carpooling helps.

No need when you can drive a 100 miles and find more matches than you can shake a stick at......

Suspect too that driving out west is a different game from driving in the Northeast -- which may not be one of the worst places to drive in the US in terms of congestion and general driver incompetence and lack of consideration for others, but is up there.....

I'm curious why this thread is still open. I thought talk of killing animals was taboo Nik.

Kevin,

you've been asked privately more than once to refrain from commenting on the moderation of the forums. As a matter of fact that's a condition for your continued participation here. I'm sorry that you don't understand why we moderate the way we do. That said, we politely declined your assistance to help moderate the forums -- so if you find yourself typing something that questions the moderation of the forums, or that otherwise comments on the moderation of the forums, just stop. We've collectively heard enough from you when it comes to the forum guidelines, how we enforce them, or how you think we should enforce them. Your opinion on the topic is irrelevant to the moderating team.

Can you give it a rest now? Thanks!

He's got a few choices for USPSA. Pardoe,and Pitcairn will be the closest. Erie, we've got Gem City and Eagles Nest pistol club. All great places to shoot. Have him message me if he's shooting Erie.

As for ducks, Presque Isle bay was great last year. And it's shallow enough in spots you can wade out to retrieve.

That's great...I'll have him get in contact with you. He is back from Peru in late August. Thanks!!

I thought it was just to not show pics of dead animals ???

Nope under intent in the guidelines it says: no hunting or killing animals(of any kind) threads. Of course it was just a small part of the thread

Edited by Sarge