Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Conical and Bull Barrels

Malarkey

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't get to choose what rules to enforce and which you don't. You also don't get the luxury of creating new ones to fit your needs. You don't allow NFC then place a capacity to it. There isn't a round limit and they don't have to fit a box. Now if someone wants to run an open gun at your local indoor match, I can see the MD and possibly the range owner having an issue with that.

As far as taking a gun from USPSA and dominating IDPA, I don't see that being apples to apples. Using your limited gun to win overall at a T1 match is a hollow victory. If people in your club have an issue with someone outside their division and classification beating them, that's a pride issue they can deal with.

I don't have my rule book handy but doesn't your equipment except gun and mag capacity have to be compliant even when shooting NFC?

See 8.2.7.3

Edited by racknrider

Correct. You have to abide by the number of mag holders and their placement as well as the placement of your holster. If I milled my Eagle to use an RMR, that would be considered an open gun in USPSA but it would still fit an IDPA legal holster.

So would you think 8.2.7.5 allows the MD to dictate the rules for NFC at their match?

My concern would be that ABC Club allows NFC. So all the guys decide to start shooting NFC, any guns, high cap mags, and suddenly the ABC IDPA match turns into a bastardized USPSA match.

So would you think 8.2.7.5 allows the MD to dictate the rules for NFC at their match?

My concern would be that ABC Club allows NFC. So all the guys decide to start shooting NFC, any guns, high cap mags, and suddenly the ABC IDPA match turns into a bastardized USPSA match.

A number of our club members, myself included, have shot NFC from time to time. Normally it isn't anything absurd, usually an MRD or a light equipped pistol. But it is left up to the MD whether or not to allow the division. I suppose if your club was experience an abundance of USPSA shooters that are diluting your matches, it would be within your powers to exclude the NCF division. But again, I see anything that brings more shooters out for some trigger time as a plus.

Ridiculous statement of the day:"If I take my limited gun and dominate NFC." Congratulations you are the world champion of yelling into a bucket.

It's intended to allow folks to shoot. When you start fooling around with the shooting opportunity because it isn't true to the discipline you sound like much less than a wholesome ambassador to this or any particular discipline.

Edited by Forrest Halley

I'm not very smart so the preceding comment confuses me.

But back to the hijack topic, 8.1.3.7 states division capacity for NFC is 10 rounds so topped off mags are a no no and we're not making up our own rules.

I don't shoot IDPA, but I also don't see why there is some giant fuss over a conical or bull barrel instead of bushing. Shooting your 125 PF pansy ammo out of a bull barreled Eagle instead of bushing is not going to be the thing that makes you win a match. So the whole argument of coming and destroying everyone shooting your limited gun doesn't really make a whole lot of sense to me. I don't really see why you would want to shoot a full length dust cover either with minor ammo either, seems like way overkill (but I don't understand shooting Stock II's or shadows in production for the same reason, FWIW) so I don't think your Edge (Illegal) has any advantage over a bushing Eagle (legal)

The slightly larger magwell shouldn't really be an issue either, just dry fire once in awhile so you can hit the still good-size magwell of an ESP gun.

In my case, my Limited gun is a bushing Eagle with a small magwell and ESP legal. My comment was more a tongue in cheek response to the erroneous idea that a shooter can load to whatever capacity they want in NFC.

On a side note, I consistently finish Top 5 in my local matches and would "win" the majority of them if I started with 21 rounds and didn't have to do any reloads provided everyone else wasn't doing the same thing.

Back to the original topic, did the OP ever receive a response from HQ on the bull barrel question?

I don't shoot IDPA,

To paraphrase Lazarus Long, there should be a period there instead of a comma.

I do not understand why so many nonparticipants feel the urge to tell me what I am doing wrong.

Ah, but perhaps I would come and shoot my gun in your game if it weren't for rules like that preventing me from doing so and getting scored alongside everyone else.

The rules have been adjusted. You can shoot NFC with anything you can get in a holster.

Many MDs are careless enough to enter NFCs in the scoring program so you can brag about beating people who shoot the regulation Divisions.

Jim you were the one that stated entering a score for a NFC competitor was in your mind "careless" on the MD's part. Are you now saying that they should be scored in their own NFC division, as is stated in the rule book?

In my case, my Limited gun is a bushing Eagle with a small magwell and ESP legal. My comment was more a tongue in cheek response to the erroneous idea that a shooter can load to whatever capacity they want in NFC.

On a side note, I consistently finish Top 5 in my local matches and would "win" the majority of them if I started with 21 rounds and didn't have to do any reloads provided everyone else wasn't doing the same thing.

Back to the original topic, did the OP ever receive a response from HQ on the bull barrel question?

I misread what you said initially. I apologize for taking you out of context.

I was thinking there was deliberate intent to dominate an idpa match with a limited gun, which is a farsical endeavor in my eyes. Hence the world champion of yelling into a bucket. Master of something insignificant.

I disagree with any limitations on magazine capacity because who really cares who wins NFC anyway? If someone keeps bringing an open gun and a thirty round magazine...stop allowing them to shoot...for the sake of the aspirin supply. As long as the folks aren't being offensive it shouldn't matter. However I don't think anyone should ever be prohibited from exercising their double stack carry gun to its full potential.

Other than not having a USPSA match nearby the reason I see for shooting idpa with that kind of equipment is to have a fun day off from training on open targets at feel good distances.

can someone explain to me why people like IDPA so much that they continue to put up with this kind of stuff? Why not just shoot USPSA Production and call it good ...?

Around here it's because there are 4 or 5 IDPA matches a month and only 1 USPSA match a month.

• 5 months later...