Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

When to Sell?

MANDOWN75

I just wanted to get a feeling out there when everyone would consider selling a gun, I have about 25,000+ rounds on my Springfield .45.  Should I think about selling it or keep it.  I have always been someone once I purchase a weapon it goes in the safe and only comes out when I want to shoot.  I have never been one to sell a gun if its already paid for.  But once I started spending $2,000 on an STI should I consider selling it after it reaches a certain wear before it really starts to depreciate in value?

If it is a well built and fitted gun, then it is a keeper.  It will wear well if it is.

If it is a loaded model and not real tight to start with...maybe sell it cheap to someone who wants to try the sport out.  (or lend it)

Or just keep it...you know it well.

Guns (unless they are very old, collectible or banned) seem to drop down to a certain value (about 10% below dealer cost for a new one for common guns) and very slowly drift downwards from there, as condition gets noticeably worse.  Race guns can drop faster, especially if they're "old technology".  There doesn't seem to be a steep drop in depreciation otherwise.

Sell the ones you don't shoot anymore and have little emotional attachment to.  If there aren't any like that, don't sell any.

(Edited by shred at 3:01 pm on Oct. 16, 2002)

I have sold dozens of guns. Yesterday, I sold my 6 inch Limited gun. I don't plan on shooting Limited again until I master the open blaster, and when I do go back to Limited the new pistol will have a different weight distribution than the one I just sold. I have no problem selling a gun if I am looking to replace it with something that I want more. I don't have enough money to keep them all, and I like change.

I go through a lot of guns, and yes, I regret selling some of them, but only because they appreciated and I am greedy. :) I have sold Dakota rifles with XXX wood, a pristine 1952 Mannlicher Schoenaur, two Parker Reproduction shotguns with upgraded wood, a Merkle 200E, and a Searcy .375 double with exhibition grade English walnut. I don't even want to talk about the cherry pre-64 Model 70 in .257 Roberts number 2345, made in the first year of production. Lots of guys are probably having convulsions just reading this.

On the other hand, I just sent a 7-8 year old Les Baer to Tripp Industries to be refinished. The pistol has three times the number of rounds through it as your Springfeld. I debated sending it to Baer for an overhaul, but it isn't in need of a major reworking yet. Time to sell it, never.

• 2 weeks later...

My first open gun was purchased over the internet. The guy who sold it to me certainly didn't miss it. I sold my first 1911, a wonderfully built Sringfield, and a Para P14 LDA so I could purchase an old, ugly Para 38 super open gun. The pain of parting with a couple of nice guns was made bearable by replacing them with something I wanted more.