Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

advice on first CZ purchase

aaron410

I'm about to drop the hammer on a CZ SP-01. I am waffling between the shadow custom (#91154) and the SP-01 standard (#91152). I have looked at so many different versions over the last week and I just can't seem to be able to make a decision on what I am looking for. I would like to get something that I can shoot in production out of the box but have the option, when I deploy, to send it off and have work done while I'm gone. I'm thinking that the shadow custom is going to be the way to go but I'm just not sure if there's anything that I'm missing along the way. Does anyone have any suggestions as to a strong option for a 'starter' CZ?

For a little background, I have been shooting glocks for the last three or so years and last summer to now I have been shooting a G34 exclusively. I shot a major match last weekend and I was enamored with amount of CZ's I ended up competing against and how flat all of them seemed to shoot.

Basically, my question is, if you were getting into the CZ game right now ready to shoot production in USPSA, what would you choose from the factory options that CZ offers?

Edited by aaron410

For the money the SP01 Shadow is a very good deal. I too have been a Glock shooter for many many years having carried one professionally and shooting USPSA and Carbine matches with one. I recently switched to only shooting CZ's and absolutely love them. I have an SP01 CGW tuned to perfection and a CZ75 Shadow SAO. Both are excellent pistols. I have to remember they have a DA/SA and an external safety. No more Pull----Shoot----Holster. A couple extra steps in the cadence. If I had the money I would buy the AccuShadow, and not look back.

Edited by corny

Shadow Custom, Shadow Target or Accu-Shadow get my votes over a stock SP01. Get whichever of these fit your budget best. I started with a stock Shadow and upgraded everything. It would have been easier and cheaper to have just bought what I wanted in the first place, and I would have had more time shooting an incredible trigger instead of an OK trigger.

I am pulling the trigger tomorrow on a factory SP-01 Shadow. I have been shooting my G34 for the past 2 years and making the change. I am

excited for the change. Will shoot it for a little while to get use to it and then start making mods to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was looking at the shadow custom because it had competition sights and a marginally tuned trigger but more importantly, it was in stock. I can't seem to find a shadow target any where right now. All of the go-to's that I know of are out of stock and don't seem to know when they'll be getting more in. Does anyone have a bead on one right now?

Depends on your timeline. A fully tuned SP-01 from Cajun Gunworks is probably your best bang for you buck but you will wait 6-8 weeks to get it. If you want to get you gun now and do upgrades in the future the stock Shadow is a good way to go. A stock SP-01 is doable in competition but it really needs the CGW internals to shine. As for the stock Shadow the upgrade parts I would recommend are 85c trigger, CGW trigger spring, CGW extend firing pin, reduced power firing pin spring, CGW floating trigger pin, 13lbs hammer spring, 11lbs recoil spring, 75 Pre-B disconnector or CGW type 1, dawson .095 front fiber optic with CZC comp rear site. The Shadow stock hammer is as good if not better than the comp hammer. That puts you at $1077, about the same price for a Cajunized SP-01 but you don't have to wait and you can do the upgrades over time depending on budget. Either way you will be very happy. As for the other shadow models you are better spending your money on ammo to get better.

Edited by brisix

Oak hill guns has a stock shadow in stock for 852 shipped cash price

That would be a great starter. The shadow has a few nice bits over a regular sp01 and will take all the good upgrades later.

If you but an sp01 you will always have the firing pin block. It's one part I prefer not to have.

Edited by BeerBaron

Shadow Target or Accu Shadow :)

I have one of each and there's not really that much difference between them. The front sight on the accu is higher but after shooting it for a season it's not a big deal to me. Edited by magpulled

I was in the exact same situation as you are last week. I called Oak Hill, the guy who I spoke with was less than nice, terrible attitude and acted as if I was bothering him when I asked him if the stock Shadows were actually in stock. I ended that conversation and immediately called Stuart @ CZC and had my new stock Shadow in my hands in less than 48 hours from AZ to NC. Stuart was awesome to work with and I love my Shadow so far!

I was in the exact same situation as you are last week. I called Oak Hill, the guy who I spoke with was less than nice, terrible attitude and acted as if I was bothering him when I asked him if the stock Shadows were actually in stock. I ended that conversation and immediately called Stuart @ CZC and had my new stock Shadow in my hands in less than 48 hours from AZ to NC. Stuart was awesome to work with and I love my Shadow so far!

I had the same kind of experience when i called OHG before when asking questions as well. But from what i understand they ship the same day most times and typically they have some type of shadow in stock.

depends how much you're willing to spend. if $1300 is reasonable to you to spend you won't have to touch a thing get the shadow custom right from the custom shop. if you're looking to tinker and polish and swap parts then get the stock shadow in the end you may put more into it.

I had the same kind of experience when i called OHG before when asking questions as well. But from what i understand they ship the same day most times and typically they have some type of shadow in stock.

Yup, was on the "call me when the gun is in stock" list. Never notified me. Saw is came back into stock and bought it only because they were the only dealer who carried a CZ75 Shadow SAO. But... They ship fast, fast,fast.