Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mounting press with c-clamps?

Southpaw

So I'm finally going to start reloading. Haven't purchased anything yet and I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to mount the press. My current work bench isn't big or sturdy enough. I'm thinking about just bolting the press (550 maybe with strong mount) to a piece of wood and then c-clamping that to the kitchen counter whenever I want to use it. Would do this at least as a temporary solution, or if it works well then longer term.

Has anyone tried this and how'd it work out? I was thinking about using a piece of 2" x 12", I'm not sure the dimensions of the strong mount, is 12" deep enough for it to fit? Would appreciate any other tips or advice on the best way to do this; I'm not the greatest at these types of projects :huh:

I would not. C clamps won't really hold well to the repeated force, and they will jack your counter up. Go to a garage sale, big lots, newspaper, etc abd snag a cheap desk and bolt your 550 and strong mount to that

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I did exactly that for a while, bolted my 550b to a 2x12 with t-bolts, and then c-clamped to my bench. It worked ok, though it did have some flex. I found myself using my left hand to brace the frame of the press, which slowed things down a bit

I recently switched to this stand at I am really liking it:

http://www.thec4m3ron.com/

I put 30 pounds in it, and with the additional weight of a box of bullets and cases on top when reloading, it is pretty solid. You could even c-clamp the bottom too if you wanted, but I haven't found it necessary. And if I need to move the whole thing, I can easily do so.

There's no substitute for bolting down to a sturdy bench. But if that's not an option, you can still get by fine.

Thanks for the replies. So to provide a little more info, the only room where I could mount the press is carpeted. It would take up too much space mounted to the current work bench I have in there, so I'd need to buy a new one. I looked at a few more reasonably priced ones last weekend and they all didn't seem too sturdy and with the carpeting would definitely need to be bolted down. I'm renting so don't want to drill too many holes in the wall trying to bolt down the bench. So I thought the c-clamp idea would be easy just to at least get me started reloading since I would like to start soon and don't want to keep delaying while I try to figure out a better solution for the bench. Would the kitchen counter really get messed up if I put down a towel or something between the wood and counter?

rev1911, that's a neat looking stand, will definitely keep it in mind.

I had gotten the idea from browsing youtube videos of presses and found this one:

Give it a shot for temporary use and to get you up and running it would work but it may be frustrating at times. Good solid mount is always best but sometime you have to do what works best for your situation.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=145198

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=144588

C-clamping should work fine for you. Many have done that to suit their reloading spaces. check out the above links for some more ideas.

I have limited space on the workbench and use c-clamps to secure presses. I use this technique with both a 550 and a 650 with no issues. The bench I have is very sturdy and well braced and the presses are rock solid when clamped with 2 (3 for the 650) beefy c-clamps. The board I used for the 650 had a little warp in it, so a friend with a planer shaved the bottom to make it flat. No issues and the case feeder on the 650 hardly moves, which is a good sign that the press is mounted well.

Sometimes you just got to get creative! ;)

edit to add: Zoro.com has a large selection w/ good prices on hefty c-clamps. Need to get ones that don't flex under the loads you are putting into your machine. Also, if you order from them and need some corncob media they have econoline corncob blast media in 40 pound bags and ship for free on orders of $50 or more.

Edited by Bamboo

All of my presses are mounted to 3/4" plywood using carriage bolts and washers and clamped to my work bench. There's a bit of flex in the board but only when I'm forming brass.

I did this with my old Lee turret press, and it worked pretty well, although I must say I was clamping it to a pretty substantial table to begin with. I mounted the press on a piece of 2 x 8, and used 6-inch clamps to hold it to the table.

We Kiwis had a SDB mounted on 3/4 ply and clamped to the desk in the hotel or motel room during the Bianchi Cup. 3 guys doing shifts to load 600 each a day. Worked for us.The room maid used to vacuum up the spilt primers and neatly stack our ammo boxes. Those were the days. Havent eaten McDonalds since. :sick:

Thanks all for the feedback. Sounds like it should work at least temporarily and will help me get started sooner with reloading. And thanks Bamboo for those links and the site for ordering the c-clamps.

I don't have the press or anything yet to measure, how long should I cut the 2"x12" to fit with the strong mount and room for the c-clamps. Is 2 feet long enough?

And what's everyone's thoughts on using t-nuts on the bottom like the guy in the video above vs. counterboring and using a hex nut and washer? And should I bother painting or coating the board?

I C-clamped my 550 for a while when I moved one time back in the 90's. I used two large, well made C-clamps and they held it fine. I would only do it only temporarily like you stated so it will work for a quick fix. Don't get the cheap, flimsy clamps, they won't hold it.

Yes, it will work. The longer the board the better and you will want at least one C clamp in the rear and one in the front.

I have enough room to put the c clamps 2 feet apart, beyond that the dishwasher gets in the way. How could I put a c clamp in the rear on a kitchen counter? I could fit a third c clamp in the middle if I use a strong mount.

Also in trying to figure out if I need the strong mount, what's the ideal height for the press? Obviously depends on your height. I think I heard someone say you want the handle around shoulder height when in the up position? My counter's 36" so I probably will want the strong mount right?

How could I put a c clamp in the rear on a kitchen counter?

I don't know anything about your counter. Do you have an island in your kitchen, how about a kitchen table? Either of them would allow you to put a clamp on either end.

Oh got it. I was looking at my kitchen counter and thinking "what on earth is he talking about", but of course you can't see my counter :D

I can't put a clamp in the rear, but could put one on each side and another in the middle.

If you can set it back far enough on the board, that might work. The reason you need a clamp in the rear is because that is the part that is going to try and come up when you pull the handle down.

The shot shell press in this photo can be used as it sits. The turret beside it needs to be clamped.

stmounts.jpg

The only reason you need a clamp in the front is because you push back ("up" force) when you prime.

I don't own a strong mount for my 550 but it may or may not allow the press to be set back far enough and still have clearance for the handle when all the way down.

If I had to load in my kitchen I would do something like this.

IMG_20150620_083448_810_zpsmlbtxirh.jpg

If I could not clamp the rear I would run a vertical board up to the bar like this or make the vertical even longer up to the bottom of the cabinets, either would accomplish the job.

IMG_20150620_083643_329_zpsiqljdyae.jpg

Edited by jmorris

Thanks for the info an pictures! My counter looks like your last picture. I'm starting to think this might not be the greatest idea. My counter's probably made out of some pretty cheap particle board so don't want to destroy it. Still pondering my options...

I use to have a press that I wanted to move around and mounted it to a piece of 1/2" thick steel plate. Drilled & tapped for bolts to mount and C-Clamped it to the bench. The plate added quite a bit of weight.

I've used clamps on my 650 for a couples years now never had a problem. I like to be able to pull it off my bench if I need the length to work on a rifle etc. I ended up bolting the press the a 2x10 and then clamping that down.

I bolt my presses to boards and have used C-Clamps to attach the boards to the front of my bench - 2 x 3/4" plywood. The C-clamps with the large "V" surface area are better.

The idea was for the presses to be movable, but I never move them....

I do 'cheat' with a screw at the back of the board where I can't apply a C-Clamp.

I got them cheap from Lowes and use in the orientation pictured, one on the left and one on the right.

550/strong mount bolted to board, board clamped to front of bench/bench lip which is 2 layers of 3/4" plywood. Back of board screwed in to bench.

A piece of wood on the underside of your counter-top could distribute the load.

091162009345.jpg

post-47915-0-85801600-1435077452_thumb.j

Edited by Beastly

Yep I have a 650 with bullet feeder and case feeder mounted to a piece of sleeper. Board is about 3 inch thick and maybe 2ft wide. Very stable. Using 2 F clamps. The bench itself is very sturdy. A second board holds another press and a swivel vice. Very handy.