Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who shoots tac irons?

jhr1986

I used a 16" in 2013 then switched it up to 18" in 2014. Now I'm back to a 16" using a Nordic barrel. There's slightly more felt recoil but I can swing it faster since most of the matches I shoot rarely go further than 180 yds.

• 2 weeks later...

One of the coolest things I ever saw was at a local match. Long range stage. All us Tac Ops boys were doing our normal whining about needing more power, better glass, no backers for the targets, which hash mark, blah, blah, blah followed by an unfortunately high number of rounds that saw nothing but dirt. Up comes Kelly N. with an iron sighted M1A. Loads up. Goes one for one. Unloads and goes on to the next stage. Made Clint Eastwood look like Tiny Tim with PMS.

While I think it would be stunningly cool and fun to be somewhat proficient in a match with irons (and even more so an M1A since dad used an M1 in anger through North Africa and Italy) I just have to wonder if a guy with crappy old eyes has the bio-gear to learn to shoot them.

I shoot with a red dot now, planning to move to optics but everyone shoots tac ops and I do kinda like shooting irons.

What is the ideal setup for tac irons? Are you shooting 20" barrels with an FSB?

Your thoughts on a 20" barrel, 15" free float rail with an FSB in front of the rail (with gas block under the handguard obviously)? Is there a 20" barrel that would accomodate this? I'm not to familiar with the 20" profiles.

I shoot irons, but I'm afraid I'm not much help. I'm doing it with an M14. No one matches us on sight radius.

Edited by MAC702

I am trying to find the front sight setup that's on this rifle. Please a links would be great. Thanks

It is my understanding that the Lipski front base on my rifle (pictured) is no long made.

I believe that JP has a dummy gas block and base that will work.

I've been shooting irons at my local 3 GN Club (Factory) , but it never quite gets recorded as such. Not sure guy running the matches is able to do it. SP1 c. 1972. Triangular hand guard. M16 in civilian form. Excellent rifle, especially since I had my permanent implants put in, 2 more DUI and I'm secret service ready.

This is an area where Kurt M and I are in complete agreement. True iron sight shooting really benefits from 20 in (or even longer) barrels due to the advantages of longer sight radius. Any extra velocity doesn't hurt either. This becomes even more true as the eyes age!

I run the JP front sight with a post front and a rear sight same plane custom aperture from Accuracy Speaks when I shoot irons.

So IMHO the iron sighted rifle needs:

20 in barrel with front sight mounted behind the comp

Skinny front post. I mean anorexic - banned in France - skinny.

Same plane rear aperture

Lighter bullets going fast with flatter trajectory (bullet flight visually stays closer to the front sight)

300 yard or even meter zero (that way the vast majority of targets will sit above the front sight)

This is an area where Kurt M and I are in complete agreement. True iron sight shooting really benefits from 20 in (or even longer) barrels due to the advantages of longer sight radius. Any extra velocity doesn't hurt either. This becomes even more true as the eyes age!

I run the JP front sight with a post front and a rear sight same plane custom aperture from Accuracy Speaks when I shoot irons.

So IMHO the iron sighted rifle needs:

Same plane rear aperture

Lighter bullets going fast with flatter trajectory (bullet flight visually stays closer to the front sight)

300 yard or even meter zero (that way the vast majority of targets will sit above the front sight)

Are you using 55 grain bullets? What velocity ? You don't run 77s on longer stages? Thanks

Now for Tac Limited/Standard/whatever it is called, I shoot Hornady 53 grain VMAX (with their .290 BAC) at 3175 fps.

I've shot 75/77s in the past but now I think that flatter trajectory is more important for an iron sighted gun.

55 nosler ballistic tips at 3160 are the ticket for me. I used to use the cc 52's, but supply dwindled and I switched to the 55's and It turned out I prefer them. The light vs heavy argument comes up every 6 months or so, search the forums for all of the threads through the years for some entertaining reading.

I love shooting irons and I agree with all this except the zero and the bullet weight.

Same plane rear aperture

I love the idea of the flatter trajectory but I shot a lot of matches with knock down LaRue poppers and they sometimes won't fall with lighter bullets so I have a 77 SMK load that is tight. And I tried a 300 yard zero but struggled on the hold-unders. I think that's unusual but when I switched to a 200 yard zero I had great improvement. If you know your holdovers, and the long range targets have frames or something to reference off of, they are not that hard to hit.

As others have said. Irons, with a long sight radius and a tiny aiming point, are very easy and instinctive to line up. No worry about eye position (if the sights are aligned, you are looking straight through them). But you have to be able to see the target, and fairly well. Contrasting targets with crisp irons are super fun to shoot.

Also, I messed quite a bit with the rear sight aperture to find one that gives the crispest picture that is not too dark to shoot in varied light. The NM guys use interchangeable apertures but those hooded jobs are not good for 3 gun. You need a same plane with a big peep for up close and a tiny peep for long. Too tiny and it's fuzzy and looks like there is a spider web in it. Too big and you lose crispness of the front sight.

Good Grief, I shoot a monthly club match with =/- 60 shooters, three to five shoot irons. My rifle is an M-forgery with a carry handle. Except for the i-1/2" quite similar to what the Georgia National Guard issues. I am slower than most but that is just me. I kick butt though on the long range stuff and am astounded how bad I beat some of the optics guys on the long range stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been shooting iron sights for a few years now, and have really enjoyed it, except for issues with the twin zeros and windage difference on the A2 rear I've been using.

I'm finally getting a same plane rear blade and would appreciate thoughts on aperture size.

Thanks

P.D.