Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

So Many Options on Pro Ears ?

Lynyrd

I am in the Market for new hearing protection and I want Pro ears. I like the slim down line, outside use, not an indoor shooter any more. Could be used with rifles. any and all suggestions and like / dislikes welcomed!!! forward thx

It can be overwhelming. After all the research I did, I went with the Pro Ears Predator Gold NRR 26 Black Ear Muffs

There is a smoking deal on a set of Green Pro Ears on eBay for $145

The absolute worse money I have ever spent in this sport was buying Pro Ears. I got a pair of $35 Caldwells that outperform the $300 dollar Pro Ear Golds. I even sold them once and the guy wanted his money back so I gave him his money back. They work fine, they are comfortable. They just don't perform any better than a set from any other manufacturer at 1/3rd or more less. YMMV.

My advice, don't waste your dough on them. Spend the $$$$$ on formed earplugs. Then if you want to hear put a set of Caldwell electronic muffs over them. There are actually better muffs than Caldwells for just a bit mor $$$$ if you are so inclined AND STILL WAY BELOW PRO EARS in price.

The big Pro Ears 33db are great if you are RO'ing. The slimline are just ok. Chris is right. Most guys I know in and out of military/leo are using MSA Sordins. A little hissy, but mostly really good. If your are in tight places-close to walls or doors, formed earplugs can catch and come out-like when your head scrapes the door or wall. Ask me how I know. Some stage setups require both in the ear ear pro and cans. Like a V-shaped wall setup with a port-intensifies the boom considerably. Surefire EarPro should be in your bag all the time and the cans for when you want to use them. ProEar is ok for range practice, excellent electronics, just suck in real matches or real life.

The 33s are a bit thick for rifles. I've been doing well with the Slim Golds for the past 4-5 years with pistol, bolt guns, ARs, and shotguns. Occasionally indoors but mostly outdoor. They have done fine for me for both matches and all day training classes.

Edited by Dirty Rod

The MSA sordin supreme pro x with gel ear cups seem to be the best you can get. The Howard leight Impact pros do not create a good deal for me and are loud. The best pair I've used are like $30 Brownings that create a great deal and block a ton of sound. Problem is they are passive and kind of uncomfortable because they are very tight.

Trying to convince myself to buy the sordins and some rudys or oakleys to have the best eye/ear combo I can get.

I have the MSA supreme Pro X with gel cups. Paid $325 for them from SRStactical (awesome CS!) they are very very comfortable. I have wore them 8 hours without ever taking them off, still remained comfortable. They are very slim and work great for rifles. Other than that there's nothing really specail.

I use the Pro Ears 300 , little more cost effective than the golds and I like them so far . I usually bounce back and forth between those and I have a set of custom molded silicone ear plugs with filters

I use the pro ears gold 33 NRR . I also use custom molded Ear inc plugs too. Just remember the thicker the ear muff the better. My only complaint with the pro ears is that since I am also using plugs I have to turn up the volume all the way and thus I get a lot of echos magnified(this is mostly indoors).

I've got the sordin supreme pro x and fought it for a long time. Once I bought them I couldn't believe just how good and how comfortable they were. Money well spent if you're willing to spend it.

Im a cheap guy, Howard Leight impact sport seems like an extremely common solution to a decent pair of electronic muffs without hurting the bank.

They kinda hurt if you have a big noggin and ears like me however, when wearing for extended periods.

Edited by nikelax73

I loved my Peltor's, but when I started shooting matches, I began to hate them. While starting a stage we where being briefed by an R.O. and the group on the range next to us started shooting, the Peltor's blocked the sounds of the shooting and the R.O. . Pro Ears are suppose to have technology that will separate the harmful sounds from normal voice and only block the harmful noise. I have gone back to using molded ear plugs for now, Pro Ears will be on my Christmas List.

Why do people keep saying the MSA Sordin are low attenuation. They are maybe the best. Do some reading.

Because their nrr is only 18db. Just look at the size of the muffs compared to the nrr 33db pro ears. It's just not physically possible for them to reduce more sound based on their construction.