Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lee Bulge Buster

bigarm

I didn't want to hujack the other thread so started a new one. I got my bulge buster kit today and played with it for a few minutes after we got home. I have a most likely stupid question. How do you get the last piece of brass out of the die? Each piece seems to push the one before it up further, but when I stop there is a piece of brass left in the die that doesn't come out. The rod is not long enough to push it all the way through.

Use anything small to push it up through. I typically use a punch or allen wrench, since there's always one or both of those laying on my bench.

Or, it should fall out if you remove the die and flip it upside down.

Edited by TennJeep1618

• 3 weeks later...

I guess I'm weird, but all my cases are raised high enough that they are all loose when I am done and the last one is NOT stuck in the carbide ring. If it is, you could always use a smaller case to push it up enough and the small case won't stick in the carbide ring.

You could get a Lee bullet sizing kit (in, say, .223). The bullet "push rod" is at least twice as long. I got some so I could run the case base-first to iron out any bulge (the rod needs to be of small enough diameter that it fits the case without applying pressure to the web).

• 2 months later...

I just bought a BB kit, and a 40 die. My intention is to push through LIVE rounds which didn't pass the gauge. Thought I read somewhere that people do that. However, I would not want to risk compressing my loads (seating depth).

Is the sized round just sitting in the die based on gravity, or is there still some compression going on?

I have done the very thing you are asking about. The 1st round your 2nd round is pushing against has already been sized so there is very little compression (resistance) forces to worry about IMO. I have not had any rounds change in COAL post bulge busting.

I just got mine yesterday, and ran a hundred failed (loaded) rounds through it. it does not hang up on the bullet area, only on the bulge. And it does a nice job. I did have one which had a bell still on it, and it got a small correction, but otherwise, I can slip the entire round up into the die right up to the bulge before it requires pressing.

I just push all of my .40 cases through the BB right after tumbling.

It took about ten minutes to do 200 cases the other night.

I know, that adds time to the loading process, but I've never used a case gauge and never had a round fail to chamber.

I imagine you could if you removed the indexing pawl so the shell plate remained stationary and used the powder check or seating station.

I stuck my neck out though and bought a Lee single stage press for $17.00 new on eBay.

A press is a press...

Edited by TDA

• 3 weeks later...

I just got mine yesterday, and ran a hundred failed (loaded) rounds through it. it does not hang up on the bullet area, only on the bulge. And it does a nice job. I did have one which had a bell still on it, and it got a small correction, but otherwise, I can slip the entire round up into the die right up to the bulge before it requires pressing.

It should be pointed out that you must follow the set up instructions precisely or you could do the very thing you are asking about. If the ram is NOT adjusted to go up inside the die, past the opening, then the second round would be pushing firmly against the previous primer and could go KABOOM. Adjust the ram to go FULLY into the die and stroke the press each time to bottom and you will be fine.

• 2 weeks later...