Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trooper class is a great idea, especially military/LE who train that way. Doesnt the NC recon match do this to an extent?? I hear thats one of the best matches in the US. Bring all your gear and food/water with you and no going back to the parking lot during the course of the day. Thats very cool. It would take the gamers out of the picture for sure.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would take the gamers out of the picture for sure.

I'm guessing you don't understand gamers, they thrive on rules! :P

George,

I'm in your shoes, I shoot for fun, have a real job and all. But I thought the Burkett poster was pretty funny.

It is funny John, it just resembles a lot of us a little too close for 100% comfort. I may be an idiot on occasion, but I know I am not stupid, otherwise I might actually believe HCI and other gun-grabber propaganda ;-)

It is funny John, it just resembles a lot of us a little too close for 100% comfort. I may be an idiot on occasion, but I know I am not stupid, otherwise I might actually believe HCI and other gun-grabber propaganda ;-)

My buddy and I are looking forward to this. Neither of us have been to an IPSC event, and we are planning on going to at least one day of this, to check things out.

And, for those of you that liked the poster, check out www.despair.com. There are a lot more "motivational" posters there. :-)

BTW, did you hear the one about the Polish IPSC shooter? He was in it for the money!! :-)

Wow, if that ain't the truth! I have learned that lesson the hard way!

Now I knew I was going to catch some crap over the poster, but, it was just too funny not to put up. Notice I did not say it was specifically directed towards anyone of any class, division, or sport. I just thought it was a funny poster. (It definitely reflected on how well I did when I tried to play pool!)

If offense was taken I apologize.

I personally think that hauling 1500 rounds of ammo around is kind of ridiculous. I can see it at the standard 3 gun matches, but, at the IRON MAN? That is just cruel and unusual punishment!

Matt, you are still one of the best going in my book and I not only respect your capabilities, but your sensibilities. It is very funny and as usual humor has it’s bite.

BTW, Polish musician and Polish abstract expressionist work real well too ;-) I have hard experience with the former :P

--

Regards,

I personally think that hauling 1500 rounds of ammo around is kind of ridiculous. I can see it at the standard 3 gun matches, but, at the IRON MAN? That is just cruel and unusual punishment!

Hey, you're the guy who looks like "The Borg" when he shoots with all the wires, cameras and batteries coming off you…

The future of Open Class (and Matt's video #1000 "Cybernetic Shooting and You")

320x240.jpg

For Ironman I usually plan on having twice as much ammo, because I suck and I think I am going to shoot some stuff full auto.....just cause I can.

w00t!

The IronMan is only at 30sumthin’ hunnert feet and the stages are all pretty close together so walking is not a real big drill. Even making multiple trips to carry more ammo cans wouldn’t be a huge extra drill there.

Now the RM3G, that would not be a mean feat. 7000+ elevation, several miles+ separating stages, whooee, thankfully the round count is lower than the IronMan and the chance of rain is good so the dust from all the vehicle’s roaring past you on the road will be kept to minimum, although the clay soil there is real gummy to walk in when it get’s wet ;-)

--

Regards,

• 3 weeks later...
Time to switch over to the rat meat and rice diet now!  :D

What are you talking about?...I switched over weeks ago. :P

Someone needs to film this, so we can watch them dropping like flies. Not sure how much of a gun skill test this will be.

I'll be video taping.

Even in the other classes it is as much a test of endurance of both you and your equipment as it is shooting ability.

Too tough for some people I guess (or too intimidating)...people drop out every year at Ironman as it is shooting in Tactical Iron, Tactical Scope, and Open because they think they're hurting their guns shooting them that much, that fast.

If a bunch of fat boys like us can do it, unless you're in a wheel chair or handicapped some way, there's no excuse other than "it's not my idea of fun"

I agree with Russ. The MGM is an un-real amount of trigger time at a match. Up to and over 200 rounds in a stage, 10 stages, all three guns on most and more on some. It's a real shootfest and it needs to be experienced to be believed.

--

Regards,

• 2 weeks later...

Someone correct me if I am wrong but is the only appeal of the MGM match that you have to shoot a ridiculous number of rounds on stages that are so poorly designed that the range officer has to prompt you on what you are suppose shoot. It seems a shame that a match with such potential has to resort to the old “try to slow the best shooters down” mentality.

Don’t get me wrong, I love to shoot as much as the next man. I just don’t think that the focus of a stage should be if you can: 1. Carry enough rounds to finish the stage or, 2. If you can remember what to do to complete it. The stages should be focused around your shooting ability.

That being said, I would actually like to go shoot it someday but the amount of extra gear and ammo that I would need to buy just puts it way out of my budget.

There is my .02, don’t hurt me too bad!

Someone correct me if I am wrong but is the only appeal of the MGM match that you have to shoot a ridiculous number of rounds on stages that are so poorly designed that the range officer has to prompt you on what you are suppose shoot.

No, I think the idea is to give folks who have travelled hundreds or thousands of miles to the match a chance to have a high volume/super fun experience. If your cup of tea is 30 rounds per stage, shoot 'em as you see them, this is not the match for you. If you want more trigger time on a single stage than you get from other entire matches, the MGM rocks. The MGM doesn't pretend to be IPSC or traditional 3 gun, it is what it is, and it is the second funnest match I've been to. If you do go sometime, leave the range lawyer attitude at home and just have a blast.

In line with Mr. Dunn here, I also say no. The MGM is a worthwhile experience and as John says, leave the gamer attitude at home and enjoy yourself. Best three days of trigger time you can have if it's shooting you like.

--

Regards,

The only reason the RO is prompting you about what to shoot is that most people have never shot stages over 30-40 rounds and are completely lost when they get to the next gun. FYI coaching is also allowed. So is bringing the guy or gal another gun if theirs broke in the stage.

Its about fun and anyone that hasn't done it, just wouldn't understand it.

A group of us from the Phoenix area enjoy the Iron Man so much, we go back year after year.

Where else can you go and climb a 30 foot tower to shoot at targets in excess of 500 yds, stand in the back of a moving pickup truck and shoot targets with all 3 guns or drive a gold cart forward and backwards while shooting guns? How many other matchs can you shoot at least 1000 rounds over 10 stages and use a minimum of 3 guns in each and every stage? What other match can you go to where the normal stage time is around 5 - 6 minutes because of the round count and complexity?

The match stages are incredibly complex, at times there is some repetition, but so what? The RO's are there to help you, not wait for the chance to zap you with a procedural. If you forget what to do next, they will tell you. People seem to have more fun at Mike's match than any I have attended over the years.

I enjoy the format, it is a great test of physical endurance and weapon capability. Weaknesses in your gear show up real quick over the 3 days.

Mike Gibson is a great guy, this match is his chance to have a match the way he likes a match. I am just happy that he takes time away from his business to hold it every year.

Cactustactical pretty well sumed it up.

On the fun factor scale of 1-10 I would  easely rate this match an 11!

This will be my 4th year back and it just keeps getting better .  :D  :D  :D

Craig

i saw some stages on matt's ar dvd, i was stunned...not only a ton of rounds, but i coulda swore matt was shooting a texas star with his ar in the middle of a multi-gun stage...that's sick!!! :D

At Ironman you truly feel like you got your money's worth for time and travel to get there...you don't mind the waiting to shoot because you're tired by the time you're done shooting and need to load ALL your mags back up.

I also like Ironman because it challenges shooters...it is often not just "who can do this the fastest?", but "who can do this at all".....lots of long range rifle shooting, which is something I really enjoy.

Well… I apologize. I have met Mike and he seems like a great guy. I will make sure to shoot the match next time before I criticize it.

I really just don’t have enough gear though… Any chance you could through the match with 40 rounds of shotgun on your limited shotgun and without a scoped rifle bolt gun?

Well… I apologize. I have met Mike and he seems like a great guy. I will make sure to shoot the match next time before I criticize it.

I really just don’t have enough gear though… Any chance you could through the match with 40 rounds of shotgun on your limited shotgun and without a scoped rifle bolt gun?

The scoped sniper rifle is optional, bonus hits....i made one of the 670 yard bonus hits last year with my 20" AR with ACOG, the farthest standard rifle required is less than 500 yards.

I'm trying to remember what the highest round count was on any one stage last year for shotgun. I had 8 in my gun, 7 on the side saddle, 24 in carriers on my vest, and a dump pouch full that I had to go into several times. I know I emptied the gun, the side saddle, and all the carriers on my vest on several stages.