Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

11.5 Main Spring

W_Buck

The Federals are pretty soft and even on my 550, I can get the primer deep enough for reliable ignition so far. Got a match and another practice session this weekend so if there are no light strikes then, I'll call it good. You know what they say about problems, if you have one, it will show up during a match! The trigger pull is unbelievable. I know what my gauge says but it feels much lighter than that.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool, how did the match go? I haven't been up there in a long time. I shot more practice and a match this past weekend so about 800 bullets so far on the 8.5 lb spring and zero, yes, "0" light strikes. Really loving this so far. All with Federal SPP.

Cool, how did the match go? I haven't been up there in a long time. I shot more practice and a match this past weekend so about 800 bullets so far on the 8.5 lb spring and zero, yes, "0" light strikes. Really loving this so far. All with Federal SPP.

Well the spring didn't make it in time for the match. But, the match was great. Ended up second in Production, first A. Only about 5 match points out of first. Also won high overall on a stage.

If I may add to this spring conversation.

I installed a 11.5# recoil and a 13# hammer spring, plus an extended firing pin in my CZ75 Shadow SAO.

Shot 50 rounds of 124 gr Federal and 100 124 gr Freedom Munitions and no light strikes. Shot very flat.

I removed the flat stock recoil spring from my CGW Defensive carry SP01 and replaced it with a 13 pound recoil spring.

No light strikes with the same ammo as above.

Just the view from my saddle.

Edited by corny

I finally got a chance to try the 11.5 main spring. Ran a practice of about 300 rounds of CCI primed ammo. No light strikes. I'll keep the spring in and see how it goes. So far so good.

I have an 11.5 in my SP-01. I had about 1 in 300 Federal primers fail. Switched to CCI and have about 1 in 100 fail. I'm going to do some more polishing before my next range trip, but I may have to switch to the 13lb spring.

The polishing didn't help me any. I'm having the same issue. I was getting nearly 50% failure on DA shots during my last practice session. I'll try the 13lb spring next.

I have an 11.5 in my SP-01. I had about 1 in 300 Federal primers fail. Switched to CCI and have about 1 in 100 fail. I'm going to do some more polishing before my next range trip, but I may have to switch to the 13lb spring.

The polishing didn't help me any. I'm having the same issue. I was getting nearly 50% failure on DA shots during my last practice session. I'll try the 13lb spring next.

Do you have an extended firing pin and a reduced power firing pin spring? That's a huge help.

Do you have an extended firing pin and a reduced power firing pin spring? That's a huge help.

Yes, I have the CGW extended FP and reduced power firing pin spring.

Is the hammer falling all the way? Sometimes if the disco gets changed out it needs to be trimmed or the hammer can't fully engage the firing pin.

Edited by vixty

Is the hammer falling all the way? Sometimes if the connector gets changed out it needs to be trimmed or the hammer can't fully engage the firing pin.

Would this be something that happens intermittently? And what is the connector?

The disconnector looks like the attached picture. I'm assuming you have an SP-01 Shadow and not an SP-01? Was there any additional work done to the SP-01?

post-56215-0-99592800-1435164824_thumb.j

Edited by haiedras

OP, do you have a 13 lb hammer spring and a pencil?

Do the pencil test and see how far the pencil goes with your current setup.

Then switch out to a 13 lb hammer spring and note if the pencil goes further.

I have found the 11.5 hammer spring to be sufficient for most cases and I believe I even trimmed one coil off my primary and it still runs flawlessly.

The disconnector looks like the attached picture. I'm assuming you have an SP-01 Shadow and not an SP-01? Was there any additional work done to the SP-01?

attachicon.gifCZ Disconnector_zps2edupran.jpg

I've heard disco, and disconnector, but never just connector. Sorry. Anyway, the disco is from CGW. I have the following parts installed, and a polish job.

CZ 75 SP-01

CGW HS-12000 11.5lb Hammer Spring

CGW 61050 Perfection Series FP

CGW RP-FPBS Reduced Power Firing Pin Block Spring

CGW RP-FPS Reduced Power Firing Pin Spring

CGW 61100 FP Retaining Pin

CGW TR-PIN Trigger Pin

CGW 11-RS 11 lb Recoil Spring

CGW RP-TRS Reduced Power Trigger Return Spring

CGW 1485/T2 Type 2 Disco

CGW 10040 Production legal "drop-in" Hammer Kit

CZ-USA CZ 97 Trigger

Well you have all of the right parts.

Who installed everything?

What polishing was done?

The only thing that might work immediately is moving to 13 lb springs.

I installed everything, and the polishing was done according to kneeling atlas' thread. I was very thorough. It works nearly 100% with Federal primers. It would probably be 100% now that I polished the parts of the frame where the hammer rubs. I guess I'll just have to try the 13 lb spring until I'm out of CCI primers

Well not all springs are created equal. A different 11.5 hammer spring might work better. However, I would run at least a 13 lb if I was running CCI primers.

I have about 4 more 11.5 lb springs in a spare parts kit. I might try that out. At what point would you replace a spring normally? I was told 10k on the hammer spring, but I'm at 6.7k right now. The first 5k or so were Federal primers. Maybe the spring is just worn out and should be replaced every 5k?

Well if you dry fire a lot, it will wear out the hammer spring faster. I don't recall ever changing out a hammer spring except while tuning. I did notice that swapping 11.5 springs did change the trigger pull weight on one of my shadows.

Well if you dry fire a lot, it will wear out the hammer spring faster. I don't recall ever changing out a hammer spring except while tuning. I did notice that swapping 11.5 springs did change the trigger pull weight on one of my shadows.

I do a lot of dryfire. I never really thought about that affecting it. I'll swap for another 11.5 and try running that in DA only, then if that doesn't work I'll try the 13. And if that doesn't work, I'm throwing it in the trash. Figuratively.

In regards to te pencil test how far is good enough? I have three CZ's running the 11.5lb main spring: Regular SP-01, Compact D, and a SAO converted Pre B. Both of the firing pin block equipped guns the pencil jumps a few inches clear of the barrel. On the Pre B since it doesn't have a retaining pin stopping the firing pin the pencil jumps out over 12" out of the barrel.

That is a good question. I generally only use the pencil test on guns that don't have firing pin blocks since the firing pins on firing pin block guns is more limited.

The Tanfoglios have a firing pin block that works in the reverse way and it works just as well.

Generally I hold the pistol around a 70 degree angle before releasing the pencil. Generally I would like it to fly at least a few feet. If it barely leaves the barrel or doesn't leave the barrel at all, there is a good chance that light primer strikes will occur.