Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Find me the tallest 2011 magwell possible

WYgunner

As the title states, I am looking for the tallest magwell possible to reduce the distance from the top of the magwell to the bottom of the trigger guard. I have done a lot of searching and can't seem to find what I am looking for. I currently use Dawson Ice magwells, but I still have about a 1/2 inch space between the top of the front of the magwell and my support hand. Depending on what everyone suggests, I may end up using JB WaterWeld to fill in the space. Thanks in advance

I just switched from a dawson ice to the brazos big mouth 2. Also felt that space was too large, the brazos helped a little the front lip comes down at much less of an angle than the ice.

Speed Shooters International had a good report with Aaron Harris that used to make some of the largest magwells ever. Harris was a d---h---d to deal with but in all fairness, he was a great designer. They may still have some of his magwells left.

All,

Thanks for the great ideas. Out of all the suggestions, I think I am going to try the Brazos big mouth as it looks like it was designed to accommodate smaller hands. I looked for the Harris magwell, but couldn't find any information on it.

Limcats appear pretty tall as well. Taller than an ice anyway. My hands are pretty big, I'm somewhere between a large ice and the standard. The standard gets my hands right up in the trigger guard

I just switched from a dawson ice to the brazos big mouth 2. Also felt that space was too large, the brazos helped a little the front lip comes down at much less of an angle than the ice.

Would you mind providing me with a measurement from the top of the magwell to the bottom of the trigger guard? Thanks

4325b84d1d590cfd3b14a93e8827e978.jpg

JB weld it, once it sets pop it off and glue it with E6000 or shoe goo. This was oversized and trimmed back to where I wanted it.

Or cut your own

ff5fc0a3407212a1af5c8929712fc821.jpg

ef1de12f2de5531adc663c093c5d0df0.jpg

I just got done putting some JB water weld on one of my magwells. The cape looks like it has more of a flat front which might be better for filling in the front. What did you use for the fill-in material?

I used a two part epoxy like jb weld, I think it was jb but could have been another brand.

The cape is definitely flatter and probably easier to do but you should be able to do it on any of them.

The jb will likely not stick to any of the very well so the best way to do it is to mold it to the magwell oversized and when it's fairly hard pop it off so it doesn't bond to the magwell.

Once it's hard you can then sand and file it to whatever size you want. This allows you to keep the gun cleaner when sanding as well.

Then when you like the fit use E6000, goop, or 100%silicone would probably also work well but I didn't try it. The key is to use an adhesive that remain somewhat elastomeric so it doesn't "pop" off the gun from an impact. These also allow you to peel the jb part off the gun anytime you want to do any adjusting. If you rely on the bond of the jb to the magwell it will for sure come off relatively soon, and Murphy will make sure it happens at a major

• 3 weeks later...

Looks about as good as a black painted blob of goo could look. Any signs of movement/cracking yet? If not by now, it will probably good to go for a long time.

Is the dvc running good still?

Speed Shooters International had a good report with Aaron Harris that used to make some of the largest magwells ever. Harris was a d---h---d to deal with but in all fairness, he was a great designer. They may still have some of his magwells left.

SHPD was the Best mag well ever, Just a heads up at one time Double Alpha offered a version without some of the exterior profile cuts. Pics of both attached.

post-5370-0-70886900-1436390131_thumb.jp

post-5370-0-03446300-1436390162_thumb.jp