Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm IDPA Bug loads

Danblell

I have been thinking about a BUG load for a little bit as well. I don't shoot BUG very much but I have an idea I would like to discuss.

I typically load a 147gr bayou over 3.2gr of titegroup at 1.14" OAL

I have considered subbing in a lighter bullet and keeping all other variables the same.

So in practice I would load a 124gr bullet with 3.2gr of titegroup to 1.14" OAL and not have to change anything on my press. Does this sound like it would work? A light bullet at a light charge. This would allow me to crank out a few hundred sub-minor bug loads and not spend time on developing a whole new load and adjusting my press.

For 95PF we need:

115gr @ 826 fps

124gr @ 766 fps

135gr @ 704 fps

147gr @ 646 fps

Does anyone have experience with this type of load?

Since your shooting a G26, I think you have the best BUG available. I would just run your standard 147 minor loads in it. The bayou or berry's with titegroup with at least minor pf wold be best. The 26 will cycle fast and flat with the stock spring with these loads. I haven't chronoed the velocity difference, but the pf for my loads are about 135 out of a G17 (910 to 925 fps). Recoil feels light and very controllable out of the G26 with these loads. FWIW, I made BUG master on the classifier last month and have my fastest GSSF times with this combination. I haven't messed with lighter loads considering how well standard 147 minor loads work.

I use the standard 3.2g Titegroup with 147g XTREME RN in my G17. However, for my G26 bug this load does not feed or eject reliably. I have had to bump the charge to 4.0 to get it to work. With this load I do get some key holes. I have searched several forums looking for posts on this topic and come up empty. My G26 is new and perhaps will respond to lighter loads after a while.

Any ideas?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I put 2.5 grains of VV310 behind a Zero 147 jhp at 1.13" OAL, and it chronos about 110 pf in my M&P compact, and my Kimber Solo.

I don't think I can go any lower without reliability problems.

Edited by RH45

• 3 years later...

Just got back from the range with some chrono data on my Glock 26 gen5.  I'm working up a reliable IDPA BUG load trying to get close to 95PF.  Here's what I got...

Bayou 145 RN

2.7 grains of VV320

1.13" OAL

Federal Primers

729.9 10 shot average = 105.8 PF (SD of 14.8, ES of 44.1)

This load WILL NOT cycle the OEM 16 pound recoil spring but it did cycle a 14 pound reduced power spring with 100% reliability.  I don't think I can go any lower than 2.7 unless someone knows where I can get a 10 or 11 pound spring for a G26!  Lowest I've been able to find is 14 pounds.

2.8 grains yielded 734.6 average = 106.5 PF (SD of 16.8, ES of 63.2) and same recoil spring results.  Kind of surprised by that since I usually see ~25 FPS difference per 0.1 grain of powder on my full sized pistols.

Anyways, I hope this helps some other BUG competitors out there.

I loaded up few hundred "bug" loads for my Kel-Tec P-11 - that's a very

small, light gun.

Got it down around PF 110 with 3 grains of anything and a 115 gr bullet.

The rounds fed well, and were accurate at 10 -12 yards (never tested them

beyond that).

Very nice light load - lots of fun for very light guns and/or new shooters    :)