Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stoeger 3000 barrels

Does anyone know of a way to get a spare 3000 barrel. Mine has a 28" that id like to keep for hunting, but would like a 24" for 3-gun that I could swap out. I'm hoping a 24" would help my pattern spread a little more because I seem to miss easy shots sometimes on hoser stages and I'm blaming it on my pattern being to too tight giving me the disadvantage. Or should I just cut it down and cut for new chokes?

Thanks for that link! It was a good read.

So why are shorter barrels so much more popular? Especially after adding a mag tube that sticks out 6"?

And would using a skeet choke vs modified in a 28" barrel really help much on the real close targets?

Thanks for that link! It was a good read.

So why are shorter barrels so much more popular? Especially after adding a mag tube that sticks out 6"?

And would using a skeet choke vs modified in a 28" barrel really help much on the real close targets?

The “fill the tube up after the beep” is a relatively new rule change. Just a few years ago the Tac-Op, Limited, (whatever else we call it) class was 8+1. Some of us tight wads are still running the same 18-22” barrel guns we used back then. Also, a few matches still mandate 8 max in the tube (Blue Ridge is one) so a longer tube/barrel is no real advantage in those matches.

It's really expensive to have a barrel rechoked. Better off getting a new barrel. Call your Stoeger dealer or call Stoeger

Not exactly.

IF the barrel can be cut and threaded (I say IF because not all barrels can be) then I bet you’d be surprised. The job can often be done, and done right, for under $100.

I know a guy :)

Barrels can be had from gunpartscorp.com when in stock. The main reason re-choking is so expensive is because the Stoegers are Chrome-lined. They cannot be cut with conventional HSS tools, and Carbide tooling is very spendy.

Current cost is $233.80 plus ship, but out of stock. Might need to call and ask for an estimated delivery.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/1434720.htm

Nothing wrong with using the 28" for 3gun. A friend of mine uses a 28" Stoeger, and uses only two chokes: Skeet (80% of 3GN stages) and LM.

When using low recoil slugs, shorter barrels will be more accurate (smaller groups) than longer barrels, regardless of brand. High velocity slugs, probably won't see much difference in group size.

Chrome lining is not as tough to work with (pun intended) as some will have you think but you do need some specialized tooling for some jobs. The true complication come in when folks want the barrel re-threaded for the original Mobil tubes, (1) installation tooling is just about non-existent in the gunsmith market and (2) a “thinner through the midsection” barrel profile often does not leave adequate wall thickness for that tube to be installed after cutting off length (even if tooling was available).

I have cut and threaded several Stoeger barrels for Tru-Choke tubes when the wall thickness would allow.

Interesting- That is exactly what he experienced with slugs, but I didn't catch the correlation. I put an XRAIL on it for him, and he had to shoot standard slugs to get it to cycle anyhow after adding the extra weight so it was a moot point. But I never caught the link with the barrel length. Please expound, Mark!

Yes, the slower slugs spend more time in the barrel, during which time the shooter moves, and the gun moves. Longer barrels are less stiff and with slugs, the vibrations are not as repeatable as with pistol and rifle bullets. These factors tend to increase slug group size with low recoil slugs and longer barrels.

The 24" in camo is in stock, if you wanna paint of can live with the camo.

The 24" in camo is in stock, if you wanna paint OR can live with the camo. <- better?

Edited by Cyclic

If we can get some folks to measure the OD of their barrel at various locations along its length we can use the info below to answer your question:

Assuming a standard size 12 ga bore diameter (.720 up to .736” or so) measure the outside diameter of the barrel at the muzzle (or the spot its going to be cut off, aka the “new muzzle”). Barrels measuring .845” or larger can generally be threaded for Rem-Choke or Win-Choke tubes. If the OD is .825” or larger the barrel can generally be threaded for Tru-Choke tubes. (These measurements also assume the bore is concentric with the barrel walls, but I've not found that to be an issue with Stoeger 3000 barrels)

I had Rose Action Sports thread a Mossberg 500 barrel for me about 3 years ago. It was definitely under $100 including shipping both ways. Quality was top notch.

I put together a set (Skeet, IC, MOD, Full) of chokes from Ebay for about $30 total. Mossberg/Weatherby/Invector (not invector plus), sets are all the same thread and can be found really cheaply.

For the OP, the disadvantage you might have with that 28" barrel probably isn't your pattern, but the actual mass of the barrel. You may have been swinging through your targets and hitting the lagging edge.

Wit the mag restrictions for Factory Division I no longer have a comically long mag tube, and I found that not having and extra 8 oz of mass at the end of my gun has really helped control the muzzle for fast up close stuff.