Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Inflation! (no, not footballs)

SiG Lady

I haven't bought a Wall Street Journal for some time--and even then I noticed a slight rise in price--but I bought one today (and it obviously wasn't even the Sunday edition!) and it cost $3!!!!! Three dollars!! WTF?? :surprise:

And one thing I found revolting a few years back was its switch to color (boo, hiss!!) and a format/style change that reeked of USA Today. Yes, I'm old-school about how I'd like the WSJ to look, but the price!!! I'm not even going to ask Barnes & Noble what the Sunday edition costs!! :angry2:

Petrol prices here have not changed much at all. In fact they lowered considerably a few weeks ago, then rose slightly recently. But not above the notorious high prices of a year or two ago when it reached $4.60/gallon.

I've seen a mild creep on SOME food items but not all, by any means. I have two nearby places I shop for groceries that have notoriously low prices and excellent products. I'm better off than SOME people, based on my knowledge about WHERE to shop and precisely what to look for.

I was stunned by the price of hamburder (raw) and burgers at fast food places. I went to get a Big Mac on a whim and it was over $4. The tiny cheapo mini-burgers that used to be on the "dollar menu" are now on the "value menu" and cost about $1.89.

Edited by bountyhunter

Not to mention the prices at national chains that serve specialized burgers and such. That'll be the day I spend over $10 for a burger!! (But I've had to a time or two.) Plus a possible tip. It's all just gone way over the cliff . . .

I feel ya. They keep saying that inflation isn't happening ( or it is minimal), but my wife and 5 kids drink about 1-1/2 gallons of milk a day. AT $3.89 A GALLON! That's over $175 a month just for milk. I wish they were all allergic to dairy like me sometimes.........

While we're on the subject of inflation/deflation, I think the "DeflateGate" issue is a tempest in a teapot. See? this thread was about footballs after all! :P

Now our Venerable Marsupial may close this thread (and he probably will). [Meanwhile, thank you all for your comments.] B)