Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mods for Production M & Ps

Nemesis Lead

I just got an M & P Pro 9L (9mm) which I am toying with the idea of using in Production.

What modifications do all of you make (triggers, sights, springs, magazine basepads, holsters, mag pouches, grips, guide rods, other things)? I am new to the platform and am wondering what I should be considering.

I shoot an M&P pro in limited, so I'm hoping some of the production guys will chime in. In regards to sights, I run Dawson's adjustable rear and FO front. Last I heard the Apex FSS is not production legal, but the comp AEK and carry AEK are production legal. I'm sure someone will confirm.

correct the FSS is not production legal, the comp AEK will give you a very light trigger, but it will have lots of pre-travel you can take out a bit of the pre travel by adjusting the trigger bar loop but not that much.

if you want base pads the SSS ESP base pads are production legal. But I really don't see the need for them.

For my M&Ps I ran a tungsten guide rod and 13# spring. I had a trigger job done by a local gunsmith. I also ran the Springer +0 base pads. For holster, belt, mag pouches and grip tape I ran Bladetech and Ghost along with the Boss hanger. (Got it all from Ben Stoeger's pro shop). I ran stock sights on mine but had a Glock 34 with Dawson sights that I liked quite a bit. I bought extra mags from Quantico Tactical 3 for $78 the last time I bought any.

For my M&Ps I ran a tungsten guide rod and 13# spring. I had a trigger job done by a local gunsmith. I also ran the Springer +0 base pads. For holster, belt, mag pouches and grip tape I ran Bladetech and Ghost along with the Boss hanger. (Got it all from Ben Stoeger's pro shop). I ran stock sights on mine but had a Glock 34 with Dawson sights that I liked quite a bit. I bought extra mags from Quantico Tactical 3 for $78 the last time I bought any.

Your tungsten rod and the Springer basepads meet the 2oz. rule? Which guide rod are you using?

Your tungsten rod and the Springer basepads meet the 2oz. rule? Which guide rod are you using?

The shorter one 4 1/4 I believe. It made weight at Area 6 last year. It wasn't weighed at the SC State match this year.

• 2 weeks later...

+1 on the spring +0 basepads. I went with the short. The lip on the factory pads were killing me.

Apex FSS trigger kit with stock factory trigger spring (nice to order an extra trigger bar put the Apex trigger on it and tune each), or just order their forward set sear, USB and follow the Burrell trigger how to and tune the bar.

KKM drop in barrel

The factory guide rod is fine, just tune the gun to your load. (I like to switch loads so a 5" stainless uncaptured guide rod works great for me. #13 spring handles 80% of my loads.

Sights of your choice, one recommendation is to start with something like a Dawson rear, check your POI and order a front to dial in your load. My minor POI with factory Novak rear, I ended up a .170h front.

Grip tape

Springer base pads with aluminum plates

Keep stock or even extra power striker spring!!!!

Wolf extra power mag springs

That's about all I can think of for now.

Apex FSS trigger kit with stock factory trigger spring (nice to order an extra trigger bar put the Apex trigger on it and tune each), or just order their forward set sear, USB and follow the Burrell trigger how to and tune the bar.

Maybe there is punctuation missing here, causing some misunderstanding of your post, but the fss is not legal in production

Apex FSS trigger kit with stock factory trigger & spring (nice to order an extra trigger bar put the Apex trigger on it and tune each), or just order their forward set sear, USB and follow the Burrell trigger how to and tune the bar.

Maybe there is punctuation missing here, causing some misunderstanding of your post, but the fss is not legal in production

Ampersand (&) added after trigger for clarification (above, thank you).

For further clarification, Based on section 21.5 Appendix D of the rule book, Installing an Apex Forward Set Sear (FSS) is production compliant (see below), However, the Apex trigger it's self is not compliant,....the rest of the parts including the sear are.

Ordering an extra trigger bar makes for an east swap if you want run limited or ESP and feel its needed.

INTERNAL parts: This clause is NOW interpreted to mean that a broad range of INTERNAL parts may be modified or replaced – either with OFM or aftermarket parts.

Special Notes/Clarifications:

Strikers, sears, springs, connectors/disconnectors, and any other part which is NOT visible when the gun is in battery is considered an INTERNAL part and may be modified or replaced unless otherwise prohibited in these provisions (see section 22 for specific prohibitions).

Edited by Hallz

The forward set sear is designed to work with the trigger designed for it. It's not intended to be used with a stock trigger because the geometry is different. I don't know if it will work, I have all the parts, I've just never tried it. (I don't shoot anything resembling "production" :roflol: )

Some have had good luck with their stock barrels and some have not. I think a properly fit barrel has a better affect than an aftermarket barrel.

That being said I do believe aftermarket barrels have more potential than stock. I wouldn't feel inclined to upgrade until my stock one is well shot out. I see it as the money saved on the barrel is money that can be spent on ammo

• 3 weeks later...

I run Dawson sights , springer base pads ( short version because the factory base pad lip makes me want to vomit its so annoying ) , guide rod , 13 lb spring and WAS using a storm lake barrel . Now since wilson combat does m&p barrels I use one of them and the accuracy is AWESOME

Adam,

It sounds like I'm running the exact same setup on my m&p except still using the factory barrel. I think I will check out the Wilson combats based on your experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apex competition trigger kit, full length steel guide rod, Dawson .100 170T fiber optic front with factory Novaks, KKM drop-in barrel. The accuracy of the KKM is about the same as my original barrel (not great), at least using 115 gr FMJ rounds. I think seeing a positive gain from an aftermarket barrel depends on the quality of your factory barrel. Some M&P factory barrels seem to shoot fine while others are crap.