Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P-09 for Practical Shooting

MissionaryMike

I had a CZ Custom SP-01 Shadow Target for a short while but sold it b/c of financial issues. It's beena while but I think I'm well enough to make another firearm purchase. My primary use for it woule be home defense, but I'd like something that can double as a nice practical shooting piece. I'm thinking about the P-09 in 9mm for Production bought through CGW w/ their pro package.

What are your thoughts?

I recently switched from SS division to Production, shooting a CZ P-09. I am absolutely in love with the gun. I bought the various parts from CGW and installed them. The difference in the SA and DA trigger is remarkable, I then added a set of Fiber optic sights from Dawson Precision, they have been my go to sights for years on the 1911's and I was no less impressed with these.

The holster was purchased from Blade Tech and I was off and running, I am a mid to high B class shooter in SS but with this gun I was quickly winning production overall and came in second overall in the match behind a Limited Master. The magazines are a bit hard to find but after a few minutes of searching online I found them at CZ USA in stock, ordered 3 extras and had them in a few days.

Pull the trigger you won't be sorry!!

Missionary Mike--I have two P-09's. One is an IDPA ESP gun with fiber optic sight, the other has a red dot and I shot it in bullseye matches all last year with good results. I think the P-09 is one of the most accurate production pistols made. If the gun fits your hands well, then get it, with the CGW package. I have over 10,000 rounds through one of mine, with the CGW package. Very happy with it, but it isn't for everyone. People with small hands may not like it much, it is a large gun but with fairly short reach to the trigger in single action mode. Here is a short video shooting the gun at 100 yards from a rest.

https://youtu.be/geZfj_PNVb4

There are some installation videos on my Youtube account that may be of help if you find a pistol and want to put the CGW parts in yourself. Also some 200 yards videos.

Joe

Just watched a video review of the P-09 on youtube and noticed that the gun comes with interchangeable back straps. Looks like getting the right fit won't be so hard. I guess I should find a local range with a demo and put some lead through it to see how it feels.

P09 is a good platform if wanting to keep costs down.

get some good sights, do some trigger work and the platform is a good shooter.

Had one done up with CZC parts and it was definitely ran flawless.

Im over 7000 rounds through my primary P09. It would have been well over 10k had i not spent time dicking around with Beretta's.

I left the Beretta project behind and went back to my P09 when i realized that the P09 was giving me measurable improved performance over the spaghetti gun.

The DA reach and throw on the P09 is very, very short and very easy to stroke straight through. It will never be as smooth as a Beretta or an SP01 but due to the aforementioned throw and angle of the trigger, it doesnt really matter. 25 Yard headshots on index cards are EASY with this thing provided you know your hold.

The ONLY gripe that i have with the pistol is that the sight options for ME are a little lacking. I cannot tailor my POI to EXACTLY where i want it based off of what is currently offered on the market. I am absolutely DYING to have someone offer an adjustable rear sight for these guns but no one seems to want to step up to the plate. CGW's was supposedly working on one but i havent heard anything since september of 2014.

The single action is a mush factory unless you get the CZC hammer or do your own stoning of the hammer hooks but its still perfectly workable at speed and i havent found the creep in the trigger to slow me down.

Thanks for the feedback, gentlemen. My hands are on the small side - a cadet Medium in a golf glove. Joe L, could you compare the size of the P-09 to the SP-01?

Check out a thread I started on grip size comparisons. It is in the CZ section.

Thanks again for the feedback and messages with wise counsel. I was able to put my hands on and dryfire the P-09 at my local shop, who have their own in-house gunsmith. He actually turned out to be a fan of CZs and the P-09, saying that any decent trigger job will vastly improve the stock trigger. So, as long as it fit my hands, I should not hesitate on being an owner. As it turns out, I won't even need the small size backstraps - medium will do.

So, I immediately called Dave @ CGW and placed an order. Now the hard part...waiting...

I have been wanting to buy a P-09 they feel pretty good to the hands. I know it will need a trigger job the ones in the stores are terrible. Are the CGW guns Production legal? I am wondering about the hammer.

I have been wanting to buy a P-09 they feel pretty good to the hands. I know it will need a trigger job the ones in the stores are terrible. Are the CGW guns Production legal? I am wondering about the hammer.

I have no idea about the hammer, but I'm sure it would be no problem getting Dave to put in a production legal hammer ready for comp.

• 1 month later...

The CZ-UB competition trigger for the P-07/09 is legal for USPSA, it is sold by CZ Custom, I use it for 3GUN, USPSA and IDPA. I have two P-09 and one P-07

What trigger are you talking about?

Hammer sorry,

The CZ-UB competition trigger for the P-07/09 is legal for USPSA, it is sold by CZ Custom, I use it for 3GUN, USPSA and IDPA. I have two P-09 and one P-07

What trigger are you talking about?