Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Am I Anal Retentive...

pisgahrifle

Well, I hear the "crunchy sound" really quickly (at 200 rds) what with the very light powder charges used in the .45 and how dirty it leaves nearly every part of the gun. After 200 rds with my Kimber (with the current loads) I look like I've done a shift in a coal mine. I tend to clean the Kimber pretty thoroughly after 200 rds. Not only does that get rid of the cooked-on gunk and crunchies, it gives me a chance to closely inspect components for any wear, damage, whatever.

Well, I hear the "crunchy sound" really quickly (at 200 rds) what with the very light powder charges used in the .45 and how dirty it leaves nearly every part of the gun. After 200 rds with my Kimber (with the current loads) I look like I've done a shift in a coal mine. I tend to clean the Kimber pretty thoroughly after 200 rds.

Apparently you've ripped off my last match load ;)

I've been using the remains of a friends stock of Valiant semi-hard cast 200 LSWCs in front of 4.4 grs of Bullseye. When I had a need to shoot factory I found an excellent substitute in Magtech's 200 gr. LSWC (softer than a baby's a**, but they shoot just so for a factory load).Unfortunately, both foul about the same way you describe. I guess I'll just have to start shooting looser-shooting loads of some sort so I don't clean as often.........

j/k

More guns have been worn out by over cleaning than have ever been shot to death.----Larry

More guns have been worn out by improper cleaning than have ever been shot to death.

I always clean after a match and never between a practice and a match. If it works in practice, leave it alone.

Carry gun = Glock....I clean it just to knock the big chunks off 'cause that's all it needs.

;)

Now my match gun gets cleaned a little more frequently....maybe every 2k rounds full strip via the shake and bake method (dump the parts into an ammo can full of hoppes #9 and left over night, brush and reassemble with fp-10). Field strip before/during multi day matches.

I once, just to see if I could, put almost 5,000 rounds (4,982 is the number that sticks in my mind....or was it 4,892?) through my Wilson .45 without cleaning, and without malfunctions. All that time this was also my daily carry gun. Finally, I had the gun apart to do something else, and I said, "Ah hell, as long as I've got it apart anyway, I might as well clean it." But the point is I didn't need to clean it. It was still smooth.

I hope everyone is sitting down and nobody has any cardiac problems ... if you do, skip this message.

I sort of cleaned two ARs and an 1100 today. The ARs have had at least a couple of thousand rounds through them together since the last time I cleaned the bolt/carrier group. The 1100 ... it's the second time I've done a spray'n'wipe on it since I've owned it. ;)

I brushed the hell out of the AR chambers, ran a bore snake through three times, wiped out the goop I could see with a paper towel, dismantled the bolt carriers and scraped/wiped the bolt, wiped the firing pin, and the rest of the carrier and parts, then relubed with FP-10 and put 'em back together.

With the 1100, I sprayed a LOT of BreakFree CLP pretty much everwhere I could see crud. Worked the bolt a few dozen times, wiping excess crud as necessary, ran a bore snake through a few times, and sprayed more CLP into the little holes I had drilled in the fore end.

Three gun match tomorrow.

I hope they still work after all of that abuse!

I must be non-anal, I wipe the rails, slide raceway, breachface, feed ramp with brake-free on a rag every 500-600 rounds or when I notice the slide speed decrease (normally around 800-900 rounds),and push a bore brush through the barrel.

Detail strip, inspect and clean before any major match, at times I may I may have as many as 2000-3000 rounds between major matches (depending on the game- USPSA/IDPA)