Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A/D question...

arshooterxm15

I was taking scores during a local IDPA match and was standing a couple of feet behind the shooter who had just completed his course of fire and I was writing down his time. The SO was standing next to the shooter and just gave instructions to unload, show clear, slide down, hammer down and holster when the shooter did not unload and show clear and fired the round in the chamber into the ground just in front of us sending gravel in our faces. It happened a couple of years back but I have always wondered what the "standard procedure" is to handle a situation like this...should he have been penalized, disqualified or something else? The shooter was allowed to continue in the match and nothing happened. Anyone else seen this happen at their matches and had the same results? Just curious...

I was taking scores during a local IDPA match and was standing a couple of feet behind the shooter who had just completed his course of fire and I was writing down his time. The SO was standing next to the shooter and just gave instructions to unload, show clear, slide down, hammer down and holster when the shooter did not unload and show clear and fired the round in the chamber into the ground just in front of us sending gravel in our faces. It happened a couple of years back but I have always wondered what the "standard procedure" is to handle a situation like this...should he have been penalized, disqualified or something else? The shooter was allowed to continue in the match and nothing happened. Anyone else seen this happen at their matches and had the same results? Just curious...

That's a mandatory DQ, per rule 2.2.3.5.

That's what I would have thought...I guess because it was a local match though they felt they would overlook it. He was one of the match directors for the club...still is I believe...

That's what I would have thought...I guess because it was a local match though they felt they would overlook it. He was one of the match directors for the club...still is I believe...

They shouldn't have.

I have DQ'ed someone for a discharge during unload and show clear. It was just a club match, but the rules are the same.

That rule is there for a reason. A discharge during unload and show clear is serious business and the best way to get the shooters attention that they need to straighten up is a DQ. That MD was not doing that shooter, the other shooters, or the sport itself any favors, IMO.

The rule in question reads:

2.2 Unsafe firearm handling will result in immediate Disqualification (DQ) from the IDPA match. Examples (non-inclusive list):

2.2.3 A discharge:

2.2.3.5 During Load And Make Ready, Unload And Show Clear, Reload, or Malfunction Clearance.

There is no gray area here. The rule is clear -- mandatory DQ.

Edited by M1911

OP: Just to clarify, did he think his gun was clear, or did he purposefully clear his gun by shooting into the dirt?

Not that it matters. It's a DQ either way. I'm just wondering if he's careless or he's stupid.

Edited by FTDMFR

Just to clarify, did he think his gun was clear, or did he purposefully clear his gun by shooting into the dirt?

Not that it matters. It's a DQ either way. I'm just wondering if he's careless or he's stupid.

The shooter that I DQ'ed thought his gun was clear. It was near the end of the day on a low-light stage. We were both tired. He stowed his flashlight, thinking that he had removed and stowed his magazine. He cycled the slide, but since the magazine was still in the gun, it loaded a fresh round. He pointed the gun at the back stop, pulled the trigger, and bang.

I was tired and saw what I was expecting to see. Or didn't see what I didn't expect. I learned from that experience and so did he. As an SO, you really, really have to be on your toes during unload and show clear on a low-light stage. People are not used to handling their flashlight. It disrupts their routine and they do stupid things. You have to be switched on and focus.

Edited by M1911

OP: Just to clarify, did he think his gun was clear, or did he purposefully clear his gun by shooting into the dirt?

I was in the middle of writing his score so I can't say for sure what he did/didn't do. I don't believe he would have cleared it at our feet intentionally. I think he just went to fast resulting in a careless mistake.

Well if it was a club level match for match directors of that club and their rules say it's ok to have a AD from a match director, it could be ok. But wasn't this a sanctioned IDPA match? And the club and RSO's agreed to operate to IDPA rules? Not only should the shooter have been DQ'd, but also the RSO for allowing the shooter to continue the match.

Edited by 9x45

Well if it was a club level match for match directors of that club and their rules say it's ok to have a AD from a match director, it could be ok. But wasn't this a sanctioned IDPA match? And the club and RSO's agreed to operate to IDPA rules? Not only should the shooter have been DQ'd, but also the RSO for allowing the shooter to continue the match.

I agree...the last match I shot in there, my squad SO and scorer liked to be lenient on scoring themselves but hard on everyone else. That is most of the reason it has been a while since I've shot a match there. I know at the state level none of that would take place.

IMHO, it doesn't matter whether this match was sanctioned or not, or by whom. An A/D earns a disqualification. Any club that doesn't enforce that rule is really exposing themselves to a metric buttload of trouble!

IMHO, it doesn't matter whether this match was sanctioned or not, or by whom. An A/D earns a disqualification. Any club that doesn't enforce that rule is really exposing themselves to a metric buttload of trouble!

I agree...things such as that have been the reason it has been a while since I have returned to that club, I hate it too because it is the only club that puts on a monthly IDPA match in my immediate area. I shot in the GA state championships and was almost dq'd for coming too close to a target so I know the "buddy" system would not stand at most shoots.

How could this not be an immediate DQ? Something is seriously wrong at this club for not issuing a DQ. There can be no margin when it comes to unsafe actions!

After the shot was fired and I was peppered with gravel I stood there waiting for the SO to say something but...the shooter was allowed to finish the match.