Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Yeah, I did it. Don't I feel stupid!

danman00

I've heard several people's woes of shooting their crony's and I'd just smile, secretly proud that I've had mine for two years and never come close to making such a bonehead move....... Until last weekend.

Yup, that's a 45 ACP hole that went straight through it and yup, that's a hundred dollar bill down the tubes. LOL

Now I'm the bonehead.

post-52244-0-27258700-1428501644_thumb.j

post-52244-0-77389800-1428501657_thumb.j

I'm reminded of my flying days when it used to be said there were two groups of tail dragger pilots -- those who have ground looped and those who will. A bummer for sure, but now it's behind you :devil:

I went my first couple years strike free too, but then when I broke the seal I really broke it. I think the 3rd year I must have tagged the arms or upper screens 3 times, maybe 4. And now not once since. Crazy.

Get ahold of CE. I hear they will help out with a rebuild.

I screwed up and let somebody shoot over mine last weekend. You guessed it! They shot it. They of course are buying me a new one

I guess if you haven't done it you don't understand how you do it, as I've not done it and I don't understand it. :blush: Some day I may but until then I don't.

I know several who have but not inquired as to the how it happend. I know out of fear of doing it, I focus and aim at either a target or spot on the berm centered between the screens and device. If its a new / different gun I'll check the zero first.

Bottom line is I see it, I know it, but I don't get it. Can someone explain so that I might contiune to not doing it? :cheers:

I'm reminded of my flying days when it used to be said there were two groups of tail dragger pilots -- those who have ground looped and those who will. A bummer for sure, but now it's behind you :devil:

My dad was a pilot and I remember him saying that. (I think he had ground looped in a Beech 18). I've always said there are two types of motorcycle riders, those who have gone down and those that will. One friend rode a bike 17 years before he went down.

Now I will add one about chrony's to my list. I was fortunate when it happened to me, I just shot the supports for the windscreens. I did set one up too close to a rifle once and blow the whole setup over, but it didn't damage it (the screens were already messed up from the previous incident, I've replaced them since).

Hopefully it only happens once and then it is out of our system. :D

Red

Edited by DagoRed

I aim at a spot centered between the screens and device. If its a new / different gun I'll check the zero first.

Can someone explain :cheers:

Going too fast, or not remembering that the bullet at 10 feet hits 1-3 inches

below the line of sight, or sights not right (my TruBor kept losing POA, and

I shot my Chrony because I did NOT check the zero on my "old" gun.

Or, a new load might do it. Or, another person using your chrono (see

Sarge's posting).

Or, poor lighting.

HAHAHAA you suck!

... is what I would be saying if I hadn't shot my own already ;)

I hit the aluminum support for the sky screen with a 357mag. Went to the shed with a hammer and pounded the rod straight, then started paying more attention to what the hell I was doing!

Competition electronics will rebuild or replace at 1/2 retail price at most. Got mine back a month or so ago. Cost me $52.00, that included shipping to them, repair and return shipping.

Mine was in worse shape than yours.

http://www.competitionelectronics.com/support/returns-service/

Well, crap. I waited too long to look for replies. I already ordered a new off of Amazon. Oh well.

Yep. 2nd trip to the range. Shit the poll with 9mm maj load. Thank god I could pound the rod back in sape. 1350, 1355, 1347, 103, wait 103 wtf? Too fast for a squib??? O well. Pack it up and yep... bent ass pole.

I'm reminded of my flying days when it used to be said there were two groups of tail dragger pilots -- those who have ground looped and those who will.

You ever ground looped one?

Oh heck no. I'm just steeped in the lore, hehehe.

I know exactly how I've done it.

I started out with a Pro Chrono too (and never managed to shoot it). Then I upgraded to a CED M2 with the remote bench top display. Having the remote display to the left on the bench rather than front an center on the front of the unit was my undoing.

I like to glance at the chrono display after each shot to see if I had an error or to correlate any difference in feel in the gun with differences in velocity. During a longer chrono session -- and I do tend to have several loads and calibers saved up when I get the chrono out -- if I glance a little early the muzzle will follow. On a COF that'll get you a D zone hit. On a chrono that'll get you a sky screen arm hit.

Early on in my chronograph's trip to the range I shot one of the uprights for the screen. That was my first "Oh sh** moment" with the chronograph. After that what I did was put some red reflector tape on the four posts for the shade about 6 inches above the chronograph. Now when I use it that is my aiming point and I always place a target behind it to have a focal point. Let's hope I have found the magical cure :)