Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting at steel?

bucktim

"I have always thought this was dangerous, where does the bullet go?"

You are not alone on this point. One impediment to the growth of action pistol sports (GSSF, USPSA, IDPA, Cowboy, Bianchi plates) has been the perception that shooting at steel is inherently dangerous and should never be allowed.

For clubs that emphasize other handgun sports (such as bullseye pistol or shotgunning) the "steel is dangerous" argument is one argument that has been used to keep out the action sports along with the bias against the use of any type of holster or any "rapid fire". Experience with the action sports (as well as all types of silhouette) has proven that shooting at steel can be perfectly safe at every type of firing range with the following caveats:

-falling steel becomes a "launching ramp" as it falls & a fast second shot on the steel can direct steel skyward & beyond the berm. Several clubs in Area 8 are switching to forward falling poppers to address the potential issue.

-steel does not last forever. Worn out steel or steel that has been struck with rifle fire or was not properly made for USPSA major round use can throw the occasional fragment back toward the line (i.e. "low velocity roll-backs"). Such steel should be replaced, but sometimes is used well past its service life. It is critical that eye protection always be work at a match of any type but especially with steel.

-steel pulverizes many types of bullets. In the case of lead, it can produce lead dust or powder. All shooting can produce lead dust of course, but smashing a bullet against steel produces more powdered lead than say, burrying that bullet in a dirt hillside. In indoor ranges, the powdered lead can present a problem even with good ventilation. Some ranges (such as Sig Academy) have switched to lead-free ammunition (which also negates fragments possibly harming the shooter wearing eye protection).

Steel is nothing to worry about at a match. You will quickly become accustomed to it & be able to educate your non-steel shooting friends about the good times they are missing out on. Regards,

D.C. Johnson

I'd also like to add "poorly designed steel" as a potential problem.

In general, on a smooth plate, splatter follows the plane of the plate. This is easy to see if you shoot a good plate over soft dirt-- there will be a line of frag holes underneath it stretching out to either side.

What's not so obvious is that if that splatter then hits something else, it will follow that plane. Imagine the classic round steel plate with a flat foot welded onto the bottom for it to stand on. Splatter hits plate, splatter follows plate. Splatter hits foot, splatter follows plane of foot-- splatter goes back towards shooters. This is bad.

I've seen more problems in 2 situations:

Full Metal Jacket & high velocity. I have personally seen 2 injuries requiring stitches. One was a 38 super, the other a 357 sig. In both cases, the jacket, mostly intact, but mangled and sharp hit the shooter or bystander.

Low velocity anything. I've seen a couple injuries - more bruises than cuts, from slow moving hunks of lead hitting steel. I've seen it at cowboy matches and with a guy shooting pins with colt peacemaker. I was at a cowboy match right after I got my first set of electronic ear muffs, and could hear the bullets rolling past when a guy with very slow 44mag rounds was shooting. People will down load 45LCs, 44Mag, and 357s and when a 250 - 300gn slug hits the steel the slug doesn't deform and dissipate much energy. There is lots of energy available to power the bounce back.

I shoot lots of 45s at steel. My bullets are coated (effectively bare lead in this situation), 200gn, and moving about 850fps. I have never had a problem. The bullet is turned into splatter and a little flat disk about 30% the mass of the original and bounces back about 2 feet.

I haven't done any research, but I think you should never shoot steel with a lead bullet going less than 550 or jacketed going less than 700. All fast jacketed (1300) is likely to produce problems, but I can't imagine anyone making a rule about it considering the ensuing hollering.

It might just be me, but I don't like hollow points on steel. I've seen quite a few shed the jacket on impact and send it back up range. I don't make a fuss about it though. Usually, if I know is guy is shooting them, I just quietly find somebody tall and large to stand behind.

The bounceback problem is generally with foo foo loads that don't disintegrate on impact. Shoot manly ammo and smooth plates and the problem mostly doesn't happen.

Steel shooting is no place for girly men.

Ron, on these Wyoming ranges, you usually are the tallest thing around. :lol:

Flex, I mostly shoot "Ghetto Steel". (cheap, soft, pock-marked stuff I got from a one-eyed rig welder somewhere) Sometimes it shoots back.

Steel shooting is no place for girly men.
-EricW Put that on a T-shirt and sell them on EW.com. That should put and end to any whining.

Foo foo loads??? Foo foo loads??? Don't make me come over there........... :P

• 2 months later...