Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is the maximum barrel length is USPSA limited?

LuckyDucky

No limit. How far extended are you talking about? At a certain point, you would be hurting instead of helping yourself. The 6" top ends are pretty popular right now and I can't see it much further than that. Also, several people are going to 5.4-5.5" top ends for a midpoint balance between 5 and 6 inch barrels.

It would provide for more accurate shots at one target, the problem I see is that this is a sport of movement, I think your arm would get tired swinging that much weight around all day. (to answer your question, there is no limit on the size in USPSA for Limited)

I have a glock 35 but the glock 24 has a .7" longer barrel and slide. There's replacement barrels that are 9" for the glock. Wouldn't that mean less recoil and more fps

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't think it'll buy you anything if you just stick a 9" barrel in the 6" slide - your sight radius will be the same. The increased sight radius is the main benefit in the 6" guns IMO. Too much length/weight out front and the transitions will suffer. Recoil is already negligible in a 24 with the right powder combo.

I think that beyond a certain point, you're not gaining anything more and are actually losing other advantages.
Longer barrels may give you more velocity and more sight radius, but they are slower to transition.
I don't think anything beyond a 6" gun is really worth pursuing.

I don't think anything beyond a 6" gun is really worth pursuing.

No one is talking about a longer slide, I the OP is considering a 9" barrel in a 5.3" slide which I dont imagine would be anymore nose heavy than a 6" gun.

I've never shot a pistol with a 9" so I'm curious just how small a charge can make major. Sounds like a fun experiment.

I think when everyone talks about the weight of the barrel be negative on transitions they need to remember how light a GLOCK is to begin with compared to the heavy steel guns they compete with.

that said I don't think there is enough advantage in the extra barrel length (remember the sight radius is the reason we percieve longer as more accurate, barrel length is not really a factor especially in handguns.

9" barrel would be legal in Lim, but more than likely not that beneficial. Go for it if you want to experiment. Be curious to see any results (actual hard results like accuracy at distance, chrono speeds and splits on a timer)

I don't have a ransom rest or a chrono

For practical shooting, you don't need a Ransom rest. You can bench test the accuracy with a sand bag (or sock full of beans) or simply stand with a good shooting posture and shoot groups, preferably at distance. If you can't tell the difference, there isn't one (in terms of "practical shooting" accuracy).

If you reload, you need a chrono. Don't ever reload without one. There are some available for about $100, if I recall. The chrono also helps you figure out if you're at PF or, for that matter, way over it.

You probably have a timer, so you can check your splits (for both follow-up shots and transitions) - and, again, the accuracy will be right there on the targets.

Have fun!

Edited by teros135

Are weights attached to the barrel legal? Like making the end of it bull barrel sized?

what exactly are you hoping to gain? As it is, on a large percentage of targets (10 yards and closer open targets) a good shooter can get mostly a-zone hits as fast as he can pull the trigger. For those targets there is no conceivable benefit to a longer heavier gun. You *may* gain a little bit on splits on longer targets, but honestly even if you go .1 faster on every split (a huge amount), it's hard to believe you won't lose that .1 on transitions (a fairly small amount of time on a transition).

fwiw, I'm a low-A shooter, and I find very little difference in shooting speed between a 9mm 1911 loaded sub-minor and a 45 1911 at 178pf. Yeah, there's maybe .05 on most splits, but everything else is the same.