Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is the maximum barrel length is USPSA limited?

LuckyDucky

Add this onto the 9" barrel and now you have a ~9" sight radius!

http://taylorfreelance.com/shopping/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15&products_id=75&zenid=sgdqsp3ha0j0vi1u3cmrk6f5o0

Hmm, says it is for the threaded barrel.

ETA: Massad Ayoob apparently shoots the G26 better than the G34.

http://dailycaller.com/2014/06/02/massad-ayoob-are-long-barreled-handguns-more-accurate/

Edited by LuckyDucky

I love experimentation, so I say go for it! I know I get dramatically more velocity between a 4" barrel and a 5", 5" to 6" doesn't seem to be as much, but I'd love to hear what you get going from 5" to 9". I know the ladies will love it ;)

I've been told that powder burn rate has everything to do with it. The longer the barrel, the slower the powder one needs to see velocity gains.

You should get an increase in velocity.

You should get a flatter trajectory by just a bit as a result, and also a bit less recoil. Sounds like a fun gun to run actually. If you really trained with that thing, and weight was still an issue, start fluting the barrel, until you get what you want.

This isn't a new sport. I'm sure someone's been down this road before, but that shouldn't stop you from experimenting for yourself. I'm just thinking that if 9" barrels made for better/faster shooting, the top shooters would be using them. The fact that 5-6 inches seems to be a deFacto standard where there isn't a formal standard tells me that that's probably the sweet spot.

That said, I can't wait to see what wild crap you put together! LOL

Edited by kcobean

This isn't a new sport. I'm sure someone's been down this road before, but that shouldn't stop you from experimenting for yourself. I'm just thinking that if 9" barrels made for better/faster shooting, the top shooters would be using them. The fact that 5-6 inches seems to be a deFacto standard where there isn't a formal standard tells me that that's probably the sweet spot.

Yes and No, until a few years ago Limited still had production run requirements so experimenting with things like this would put you in Open so the experimentation period for iron sight guns is kind of starting over again where it stopped when red dots changed the game.

You also have to remember that IPSC Standard has a box the gun has to fit in. Why would the top shooters play with a platform that would be illegal at those matches?

Yes and No, until a few years ago Limited still had production run requirements so experimenting with things like this would put you in Open so the experimentation period for iron sight guns is kind of starting over again where it stopped when red dots changed the game.

You also have to remember that IPSC Standard has a box the gun has to fit in. Why would the top shooters play with a platform that would be illegal at those matches?

Seems like plenty use the 6" gun which is illegal in IPSC Standard so it doesn't seem like that many really care.