Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI TROJAN SETUPS

jtrump

14 lb recoil for uspsa major loads

stock main

trigger is stock. I have it at about 2.5 lbs, but it appears to run reliably under 2 lbs if you're comfortable with that (all stock parts, just a little break in and spring tweak).

I recently put a dawson extended mag release on it, mostly because I had a cut on my thumb and the stock release irritated it.

The main reason i bought a trojan is because I didn't feel like screwing around with it. just wanted to buy and shoot.

Stock mainspring and still getting that low of trigger pull very nice, 2.5-3lbs is what I'm looking for. My SA is at 3.5 and I feel it's a bit heavy. I've shot triggers at 2lbs and one just under they are a little to light for my taste.

Edited by jtrump

15# recoil

factory mainspring

Short STI trigger with EGW sear. The original sear was questionable so I replaced it.

Wilson oversized mag release with wolf reduced weight spring

Trigger pull is 3.75#. I have no desire to lower it.

For my 9mm Trojan

10# recoil

17# mainspring

Short STI trigger

Wilson oversized mag release with wolf reduced weight spring

Trigger pull is also 3.75#. I have no desire to lower it.

^^^^ Nice basically the same as what I've got sitting on my reloading bench, I did get another sear spring, I'll be looking for around a 2.5lb pull.. 1 3/4 is a tad light for my pref.

Would it be typical that a very tight trojan not wanting to slide lock on an empty magazine while being shot and mag run dry?

No.

What is "tight"? What is the load for the round and recoil spring in the pistol?

Very tight, every part of it... extremely tight fit. 200g swc meeting major with w231 they have been chrono'd. running 169-170pf

13 ln recoil

18 lb main spring

Stock sear/hammer/disco, sear spring has been tweaked for a 2.25-ish lb trigger

Ed Brown extended mag catch

I also replaced the STI BTGS with an Ed Brown since I didn't like the scallop relief cuts on the STI. I also had to replace the RHS ambi thumb safety a couple of times in the last 5 years but STI sent me replacements each time.

Added different grips, an arched MSH, and a Techwell SP magwell.

A couple of years ago I had it cerakoted since the original bluing was pretty much toast.

Yep. Actually it was my gunsmith that did that back in 2009 and its still in great shape despite all the rounds thru it. Most of my 1911/2011's get EGW internals at some point, but this particular gun's trigger pull with just stock parts has been good enough that I haven't seen the need to change it out.

After cerakoting I did run a stone down the trigger grooves in the frame and also stone polished the insides of the frame where the hammer and sear are. Polishing the trigger bow and the face of the disco that rides on the bow can also help. 1500 grit emery paper for that.

16# recoil spring, 17# Main spring, stock fire control running at 3#. Was lower but I like the 3# trigger. Dawson Ice magwell, VZ grips, STI ambi safety, and Wilson Combat mag release. Love it!!

Whelp I got my Trojan all set up, shot about 200 rds of my reloads through it, ran like a top. I'm using a dawson Ice no gap mag well, I ordered the base pads for my chip power mags, and my tripp cobra mags. The slide will lock to the rear run dry with the Chip mags, but not the Tripp mags?? It's the SA saga all over again.

Anyone have this issue with tripp mags/dawson basepad using the ICE magwell? or a fix?