Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stainless Steel SVI Grip, gun is finally complete!

nitrohuck

Thanks to my fellow VT shooting homie who is much more skilled with a file than myself, my stainless steel SVI grip went from being taken out of the fedex box to being firmly attached to my 2011 in less than 24hrs,

Now the only part of my gun that isn't metal is the green fiber optic in my front sight.

All I can say is wow, this grip, along with the heavy boot of a stainless steel magwell that came along with it, has changed up the entire feel of this thing. I've shot SS grip guns only a couple of times and was instantly sold on them, now after 7 weeks of waiting it's time to put some batteries in this thing and turn it on!

I went with SVI over the PT grip because when you factor in the cost of the SS magwell, the SS mainspring housing, the ambi mag release and the sv trigger bow you are looking at a pretty good deal comparatively. Plus it comes straight outta SVI's hands perfectly blended to it's aforementioned fellow parts. My buddy has PT grips on his guns and after handling my sv grip said if he had been able to see the difference in the SVI grips first hand he would have gotten the SVI grip over the PT. He got the whole thing fitted in about 45 minutes to my STI frame.

They aren't kidding when they say the texture is "aggressive", but I like it so far, will see how I feel after a few hundred rounds.

So far I'd say between the sight-tracker barrel and the SS grip my gun is as good as it's gonna get, and the weight distribution feels great. Now I just need to work on it's operator's effectiveness :)

post-53112-0-53124700-1427059940_thumb.j

Edited by nitrohuck

Nice build. Happy shooting.

I had my open gun weighed at Alabama and with the PT steel grip it weighed in at 55.2oz. Soaks up the recoil but it's a little heavy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't purchased a steel grip yet, but I agree that it does seem like a better deal to go with the SV over the PT.....which is kind of amusing considering how we all hoped for another option for steel grips because of the expense of the SV. I am pretty much sold on a signature grip, and I love the mobius cutout they offer.

Took the new rig out for a day on the range today... This is an entirely new gun!!

Previously I was feeling a little down on myself after transitioning from 9mm to .40, I really just couldn't shoot so well with my new 2011,

Today I noticed a few things between the plastic vs steel grip:

- After running lots of various drills at 5-15yrds I was getting remarkably better hits. I was running the 2" Dot Torture drill in sub 5 seconds with ease.

- The gun is a LOT easier to control, I think about my left (weak) hand grip strength while shooting and the gun tracks very nicely right back to the sight alignment

- The weight soaks up a noticeable amount of recoil

- I can actually track the front sight throughout the entire shot! Previously I couldn't do this, so it was an awesome feeling today and helped a ton with shot placement

- The "Aggressive texture" is not messing around, check out what my hands looked like after less than 200 rounds. Strong Pinky and weak palm were bloody by the end of the range session, oh well.

- I didn't feel the overall weight made any negative impact on my shooting, many people are concerned about transitions, but all was quite manageable for me

@calvinc78 - I was previously running STI mags and ran them today with zero problem. Ironically, the reason I was in dire need of a new grip was because my STI plastic grip wouldn't drop mags if I put any grip pressure on it whatsoever during a reload. So the STI grip didn't work with STI mags but my SVI grip now works with STI mags... c'est la vie. Now I can't grip the gun hard enough to affect any sort of reload :)

post-53112-0-04813600-1427249646_thumb.j

Nitrohuck,

I was looking into a svi grip myself.it looks like you went with the standard grip not the infinity enhanced ergonomic grip. How did you make your choice? Is the s/s grip colored or is that the raw finish?

Thanks

The SVI EE style grip requires a new backstrap safety,

By the time I had everything in the cart, it was just too much money. Going to the "standard" grip allowed me to use my current backstrap safety. Also the XDM is somewhat similar to the SVI EE grip, so I sorta just compared mine to the S_I standard grip style and was more keen on standard.

I don't think there is any benefit to one over the other, it's just personal preference. I like the Standard grip feel moreso than I like the EE style grip,

Yeah I'm going to lightly file it in a few areas, just enough so my left hand's heel and right hand's pinky stay in tact ;) those are the only parts of my hand that get worn from it

On another note, I shot my first match with this grip yesterday and it was a remarkable difference.

My hits were head over heels better than they've been previously, it was really fun shooting this gun with the clock running,

Edited by nitrohuck

If your hands are getting cut up like that then you are not gripping hard enough. The gun shouldn't be shifting in your hand during recoil. The few SVI aggressive grip texture guns that I have handled were too painful to grip as hard as I normally do. So that texture may be too aggressive.

The advantage to using a smooth grip and adding grip tape to it as needed is that you can "Tune" the grip friction by adding grip tape where you need it and leave the parts that don't need it smooth. Doing this goes a long way in keeping your hands from getting shredded when shooting a bunch. It also helps in being able to shift your grip as needed.

Thus far, in watching every slo-mo video of pros shooting that I can find, there is a rubbing action happening on the heel of their left palm (right handed shooters). It's an inevitable wear zone, and my right pinky is gripping the bottom and also is getting a slight rub... it's not like it's a lot of movement, in fact the movement is very minimal, but this thing is SHARP, as you well know, so even the slightest back and fourth momentum in your hands will start to wear

I put 250 rounds through my new Infinity with the aggressive micro pockets last week. I'm pretty sure it happened when I was sighting in from a rest, but it definitely tore up my weak hand........Like Chalee said, I didn't really notice it when I was shooting freestyle with my normal grip.

• 1 month later...

The SVI EE style grip requires a new backstrap safety,

Hi Nitrohuck nice thread ;-)

I have the same idea , now i found in the www your thread .... my primarily question is/was , how easy can this be done.

My reasons are a little bigger grip than the STI grip and skater terrain .

My favourite is the Infinity EE grip .

I think you have the traditional (IT) grip wich is like the same size as the polymer grip.

What do you mean with backstrap safety , the grip safety ?

Thanks for the info. I'm waiting for CK's grip, but I'm getting impatient. I see that the pic is in your car.. You doin a drive by?? ;)

You and me both. I had them build me a gun back in 2013 expecting to have mine built with the metal grip. I am hoping to have mine soon.

I opted out of the CK grip for two reasons:

- I couldn't find any concrete ETA on when they'd be available. The SV grip was here in 8 weeks

- the SV grip is pretty tried and true, and I didn't want to wait an unexpected amount of time to get the first batch of CK grips only for everyone to find there was some flaw that needed to be fixed. I don't like to buy first-run Gen 1 equipment for that reason,

That said, the CK grips look rad, I don't know what the weight of them is supposed to be but for all who have them ordered hopefully they come in and work great outta the box

Also fwiw

The SV grip comes with a really great solid stainless magwell, MSH, trigger bow, and reversible mag release, all already fit to the grip, which was a huge plus for me in my decision.

Granted the CK grip is cheaper, but when you factor in all the extra SV parts it's well worth it in my opinion.