Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 minor or major?

aaron268

Hello, I just joined USPSA today. I plan on shooting in my first USPSA shoot this saturday. I recently purchased my second HK USP .40 S&W. and its what I'll be using. Ive been using Winchester white box ammo for target practice because it feeds good, and is affordable. I understand that for .40 S&W depending on what Ammo I could either be Minor or Major. My question is would Winchester white box 165 grain get me Major qualification? If not how bout Remmington FMJ 180 grain? do I need +P? Right now I'm looking for something affordable that I can also use in USPSA matches to just get me Major. I prefer FMJ for feading reliability.

Also if someone could suggest some good ammo for matches that I might could save up for like Hornady or something that would barley get me Major I would appreciate it. Maybe sometimes I could afford to try some premium ammo. Ive been shooting since I was about eleven years old but I'm not an ammo expert, Ive pretty much used winchester and Remmington low end stuff, Ive tried a couple other, some cheaper but ran into feed problems, and some a little more expensensive but didn't see any benifit from it.

thanks in advance. :D

Hello, I just joined USPSA today. I plan on shooting in my first USPSA shoot this saturday. I recently purchased my second HK USP .40 S&W. and its what I'll be using. Ive been using Winchester white box ammo for target practice because it feeds good, and is affordable. I understand that for .40 S&W depending on what Ammo I could either be Minor or Major. My question is would Winchester white box 165 grain get me Major qualification? If not how bout Remmington FMJ 180 grain? do I need +P? Right now I'm looking for something affordable that I can also use in USPSA matches to just get me Major. I prefer FMJ for feading reliability.

Also if someone could suggest some good ammo for matches that I might could save up for like Hornady or something that would barley get me Major I would appreciate it. Maybe sometimes I could afford to try some premium ammo. Ive been shooting since I was about eleven years old but I'm not an ammo expert, Ive pretty much used winchester and Remmington low end stuff, Ive tried a couple other, some cheaper but ran into feed problems, and some a little more expensensive but didn't see any benifit from it.

thanks in advance. :D

If you are going to shoot USPSA, reloading is something to seriously consider. You can get setup with a Dillon Square deal very reasonably. The initial cost may seem great, but you save so much on ammo cost in the long run. You can then make the load fit your needs. You might even find a willing soul at your local club to reload with to start off :) DVC and welcome.

If you are going to shoot USPSA, reloading is something to seriously consider. You can get setup with a Dillon Square deal very reasonably. The initial cost may seem great, but you save so much on ammo cost in the long run. You can then make the load fit your needs. You might even find a willing soul at your local club to reload with to start off :) DVC and welcome.

hey thanks for the help!

you mean load my own ammo? Yeah Ive been considering that. I used to help my Dad make his own shotgun shells when he was a competitive skeet shooter. I plan on shooting alot and was going to look into that to save money. but for now I was just wanting to find some affordable ammo that I like would get me major since my first USPSA shoot is tommorow. I'm thinking of getting winchester whitbox by the case for now.

so is a Dillon Square deal a loading machine? the one I used when I was a kid you put in your gunpowdder, empty shells, primers, wads, then pulled the lever and kept feeding in empty shells, and keep your stuff filled up. It rotated like a little assemble line, is that the same kinda thing?

Quick answer...the Winchester white box 165's should do it. 

Check out the link threads (above).

Hey thanks alot :D

yes I did, I saw some saying winchester white box 180 grain got them major, but the winchester whitebox I have are 165 grain. I know there is 180 grain and 165 grain FMJ winchester both in a white box so that's why I was asking, I didn't want to use the 165''s if it didn't get me major.

Aaron, first match? Good for you. I have a few questions. What division are you going to be shooting? Most factory ammo in .40 is at least close to major. Your pistol is more suited for production division due to mag capacity. (I may be wrong here) If in fact you are shooting production you will be scored minor whatever ammo you shoot. either way, for now pick a load your pistol will run with and shoot a lot of it. Worry about PF later as you gain knowledge of the sport. Its hard to learn when your gun won't run. Unless you are going to a major match where they are likely to have a chrono just get a bunch of winchester and go have fun.----Larry

Aaron, first match? Good for you. I have a few questions. What division are you going to be shooting? Most factory ammo in .40 is at least close to major. Your pistol is more suited for production division due to mag capacity. (I may be wrong here) If in fact you are shooting production you will be scored minor whatever ammo you shoot. either way, for now pick a load your pistol will run with and shoot a lot of it. Worry about PF later as you gain knowledge of the sport. Its hard to learn when your gun won't run. Unless you are going to a major match where they are likely to have a chrono just get a bunch of winchester and go have fun.----Larry

Hi, since all production is scored minor no matter what caliber/ammo you have I didn't want to compete against the 9mm, I know I can shoot faster and more accurate with 9mm than .40. so I think I'm going limited/major. Ive tried 3 diff ammo in my gun and the winchesters feed as good as any ive tried so far and are cost effective. I found some ammo at a local gun store I could get for $7.00 a box when buying a case of 500 but I was having to many feed problems.

Square deal a loading machine? the one I used when I was a kid you put in your gunpowdder, empty shells, primers, wads, then pulled the lever and kept feeding in empty shells, and keep your stuff filled up. It rotated like a little assemble line, is that the same kinda thing?

Yep, it is the ticket if you are only going to reload one caliber on a budget. http://dillonprecision.com but by it through BE if you decide to get one :)

Square deal a loading machine? the one I used when I was a kid you put in your gunpowdder, empty shells, primers, wads, then pulled the lever and kept feeding in empty shells, and keep your stuff filled up. It rotated like a little assemble line, is that the same kinda thing?

Yep, it is the ticket if you are only going to reload one caliber on a budget. http://dillonprecision.com but by it through BE if you decide to get one :)

BE IS the MAN when it comes to ordering your Dillon!!!!!

Do yourself a favor, buy it NOW and start saving NOW! You can load for about .50 on the dollar in a worst case scenario compared to buying even the cheap stuff.

The initial expense is a B*TCH, but it pays for itself very quickly!

Do yourself a favor, buy it NOW and start saving NOW! You can load for about .50 on the dollar in a worst case scenario compared to buying even the cheap stuff.

And you'll be able to develop a load which suits your gun best! :)

And you'll be able to develop a load which suits your gun best! :)

Wow great, thanks everyone. I will probably get one of those very soon.

Aaron,

keep these two things in mind for your first match.

1. BE SAFE

2. HAVE FUN

After that you can start worring about ammo, mags and all that other stuff.

Pick the division you think you will have the most fun. If that is limited, go Limited major. No one is going to complain at your first match (unless it is a major) that your ammo is only 163 power factor. If that is Production...shoot Production with what you brung, whether that is a 9mm or 50 S&W. The MOST IMPORTANT THING, IS HAVE FUN AND BE SAFE.

Travis

PS....Good Luck and HAVE FUN

OK Aaron,

It is Saturday night....Did you have Fun at your 1st match?  How did you do?

I had a blast! I like it alot, definetly going to be doing this as often as I can afford it.

How'd I do? ok on 1st stage I shot(second stage in shoot) got alot of A hits and no no hits, mabe one miss.

2nd stage I got over zealous since it was a little closer and thought I could go faster, I did go faster but I got sloppy.. had 2 or 3 no hits :( the saying you can't miss fast enough to win is certainly true. LOL

3rd stage I calmed back down and did ok again, no misses I don't think and no no hits. Was more concerned about learning how the shoots go, being safe, learning scoring ect.

Kinda hard to tell how you did since everyone shoots the same stages and I don't know if the guy in front of me with the glock 9mm was shooting production or limited, or the buy behind me with the ruger 9mm single stack was shooting production or limited, or limeted 10 but hey, its all about fun anyway!

I think there going to email us the results today, I guess It will be on USPSA site in a few days? not sure, since it wasn't a big match dunnot if they post smaller local match results on there or not.

going to buy a reloader so I can save money on ammo (/wave's goodbye to tax return check)

but It will pay for itself in roughly six months as often as I would like to shoot.

can't wait for the next one!

Aaron,

I am glad you had fun. This sport is extremely addicting, that is why this site is so valuable for us IPSC shooting Aholics. Did you decide to go Limited or Major. With time you will learn to only pull the trigger as fast as you can see the sights. Soon after that, you notice that you know almost exactly where your shot went when it broke. Things that seem fast now will look slow, then before long it will look like slow motion (or so I have been told ;) )

Oh yeah, you can find the local match results on the USPSA web page. Log in to the members area, and then click on local match results on the left side, find your club, and you are there.

• 1 month later...

I have 2 SDB's I use and love'm, they are great machines. 1 of them I switch back and forth for 9mm and 40. The other one stays setup on 45ACP.

You also might have a little dificulty getting the wwb 165's to make major, I have only been able to get them to major in a stock G35 barrel. If using the KKM barrel in my G35, the wwb 165's will not make major pf.

• 1 month later...

Shooting Blazers, the 165 gr bullets seem to have more recoil that the 180 gr. The 180 gr make major with a score of about 170, so you have some wiggle room for chrono differences.