Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Question on Simmons Pro-Diamond...BENNY!?

stockton

i just got the scope today. what great glass! i'm very impressed. can't wait to try it out. but i need a mount.

i'm looking at the rock river one piece mount. seems like a solid mount at a good price. any other suggestions? i need a quick release mount w/ repeatable zero, but i would rather not get a mount that is more expensive than the scope ($80)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The rock river is a good mt. strong as hell but does not return to zero, close but not absolute. If you are useing the lo pro reciever its as good as it gets at anything close to the money. If you have the hi riser reciever get the warne rings, they go rignt back.-----Larry

Is it possible to set up scope with long eye relief (Simmons Pro-Diamond) so that the one scope mount is attached to the flat top receiver rail and the other to the rail on the new JP V-Tac hand guard? Would that set-up compromise the accuracy or not?

I want to build a rifle using the standard A3/A4 upper receiver. I already have a pair of good quality Picatinny scope mounts (high).

-Antti

i just ordered a JP v-tac hand guard as well. when i asked jp if the tube could hold zero, he said that it does flex a bit. it is not enough to effect short range sights like their tactical iron sights, but it may change the POA, however slightly, for long range sights.

i going to trying to mount the scope on the receiver first. only if there is no way to do it, will i try to mount it on the tube.

Here two leupold scopes to compare to the simmons

leupold 58790 $170.00

Product Specifications

Actual Magnification: 1.6(1x) 4.2(4x)

Length (in): 9.2

Eyepiece Length (in): 3.1

Objective Length (in): n/a

Objective Diameter (in): 1.0

Eyepiece Diameter (in): 1.0

Tube Diameter: 1.0in

Weight: 9.0 oz. / 255 grams

Eye Relief (in): 4.3(1x) 3.8(4x)

Eye Relief (mm): 109(1x) 97(4x)

Obj. Lens Diameter: 0.8in / 20mm

Max. Adjustment @ 100 yds (in): 67

Max. Adjustment @ 100 m (cm): 170

FOV @ 100 yds (ft): 75.0(1x) 28.5(4x)

FOV @ 100 m (m): 25.0(1x) 9.5(4x)

Ring Spacing

Max. Mount Ring Spacing

(in): 5.5

Front Ring Space (in): 2.1

Rear Ring Space (in): 2.2

if you've go money to burn leupold 59100 $460.00

Product Specifications

Actual Magnification: 1.5(1.5x) 4.5(5x)

Length (in): 9.3

Eyepiece Length (in): 3.1

Objective Length (in): N/A

Objective Diameter (in): 1.0

Eyepiece Diameter (in): 1.6

Tube Diameter: 1.0in

Weight: 9.7 oz. / 275 grams

Eye Relief (in): 4.4(1.5x) 3.6(5x)

Eye Relief (mm): 113(1.5x) 93(5x)

Obj. Lens Diameter: .8in / 20mm

Max. Adjustment @ 100 yds (in): 120

FOV @ 100 yds (ft): 65.7(1.5x) 23.9(5x)

FOV @ 100 m (m): 21.9(1.5x) 7.9(5x)

Ring Spacing

Max. Mount Ring Spacing (in): 5.5

Front Ring Space (in): 2.0

Rear Ring Space (in): 3.3

• 3 months later...

Got the Simmons 1.5 X 5 X 20mm today from CDNN and the one piece riser/rings from Brownells. Both for about $50 each. Now, after my hand surgery is complete, it's off to the range. Been running the Bushnell Holosight, but need eyes for the 200 + targets.

• 2 weeks later...

Glad I finished till the end of this topic as I had just finished my oder with Midway! CANCELLED IT !!! As soon as I saw the CDNN recommendation! Thanks for putting this info in here, it saved me almost $50.00 !!!! ;)

Benny are you going to the Benning Match in Dec? If so, will see you there! Thanks for all the info on this scope. Was going to get another Leupold 1-4X20 for the upper I am gong to buy soon. Think the diamond reticle should only help to narrow down the target... :) Plus the price is too right!

Anybody have any feedback on this mount for this scope? Will be on a low pro DPMS upper... Laurue Tactical SPR/M4 Mount

Thanks folks!!!

Yeah, the EXTRA toys are going to be fun as well. Although I have shot them before. Will be fun just going back to Benning! Shooting there without someone yelling in your ear will be a plus! :P

• 1 month later...

Like all of us, I am looking for things that help my "game". I have been using an EoTech and really like a red dot, but I feel like magnification would help. I am debating on an optic with some magnification. Leupold VARI-X obviously came to mind. I am trying an ACOG T31 but this Simmons shotgun scope is interesting.

I am curious about the 50yd parallax on the Simmons however. Can somebody please advise on how this affects accuracy at longer ranges.

The price sure beats the hundreds everything else costs.

I had a real issue with a Simmons 6.5-20 x 50 about 10-12 years ago, and I swore I'd never buy another Simmons again. I thought I may have gotten a defective one and Gander Mountain exchanged it for me, and I still had the same issue. Has there been some major turn-around in the company or did I just get a bum scope(s) the first time around? I just want to make sure I'm reading this right.

Are ya'll suggesting a $50 (Simmons) scope for 3-gun??? When it's so easy to spend hundreds if not a grand or two??? (I just checked, CDNN still has 'em for $50.)

That seems to go against everything I've learned about this game. How can something that doesn't require financing or a second mortgage work so well when there's plenty more expensive toys out there??

B Shooter, yes simmons has had a turnaround, quality has improved, BUT we are not telling you its a Leopold, we are just telling you its good enough for 3 gun 300yds and in, maybe a little futher. And in some ways maybe a little better tha some of the big buck rigs, no dot that will cover up a 10 in plate at 300yds, no triangles full of info of that you dont need, no need for a palm pilot to tell you stuff you really dont want to know. If I had to shoot 400 to 600 yds every day I would want a better glass. The little simmons will do the job 300 t0 350 yds and in, and it will do it for 50 bucks. You just have to know your dope and hold em and squeeze em.-----Larry

Yes you are reading it right. Spend the $50. If you dont like it you are only out $50. Me, I like mine. Plus I'm a thrifty .. which is a nice way to say that the wife would smack me if I spent $1000 on a scope I'm going to bang around.

Scooter's got the right idea... if I had the spare $ and time, I'd buy every one of the things CDNN has left, particularly if they're really discontinued. I gotta feeling you'd be able to get $100 for one this time next year.

By the way, I have the RRA mount, works very well, but I have railed forend and have the mount out forward a little. I think eye relief would be a little tight if I only had the flattop receiver to work with. But the little Simmons is worth every penny, snap it up.

DanO

• 3 weeks later...
On paper, it seems that the Banner is the best for my needs.  1x-4x, I like the Circle X reticle, and it has a 78.5' FOV at 1x and 25' at 4x

Greywolf,

Did you ever get a scope? The Banner does look interesting. Like the idea of resetable turrets and a round versus a diamond outer ring. It looks like it could be a true 1x (or at least lower than 1.5).