Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Early days of IPSC pic thread

Pierruiggi

While reading all those great stories in the "The Early Days of IPSC" thread, I can't stop wishing how good must have been to be there. Some of those stories take place years before I was born!

I know Brian's site has a gallery section depicting the "old days", as well as Rob Leatham's site.

I just want you guys and gals, if possible, to go into your old drawers, shake the dust out of those old pictures, scan them and post them here.

I know I'm asking a considerable effort, but think about the good memories they'll bring to yourselves, to others who might have lived similar situations, the opportunity to show younger shooters "how it was done" :D , and so much more...

Please, consider searching and posting the pictures you have of the old days.

Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well this is what a match report looked like back in 92. It is USPSA but it was the last match I shot in. So I really don't know what they look like now! I have big plans to start shooting again. Hope I can get to it! You will notice I high lighted some things for some reason I can't remember now. :huh:

Does anyone remember any of the names on the report?

Steve

USPSA.jpg

Dug some photos out..from a Nationals in Dallas TX. in the early to mid-80s

TGO clearing a jam

aDSC_2838.jpg

Bill Wilson with an ext. dustcover...sort of

aDSC_2836.jpg

John Shaw shooting a Clark Pinmaster

aDSC_2842.jpg

Roberta Geer with a Nastoff 38 super

aDSC_2844.jpg

Chip McCormick

aDSC_2846.jpg

someone even had a tricked out Smith 645

aDSC_2848.jpg

Seeing if I can find anymore...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

d5035f99.jpg

Oh, yes!!!!

A trip down memory lane. I do remember the "good old days".

Here is a picture of one of my "earlier IPSC" guns. Of course it was a .45 ACP. What else was there? It was a lot of "hand-work" then and still is...

This picture was the center-fold in American Handgunner Magazine in Jan-Feb 1981

It pictures one of my custom IPSC guns, in the days when I had to welp-up my own extended slide releases and thumb safeties, etc.

Those were the days when I paid myself $0.50 an hour. Come to think of it, "I still only pay myself fifty cents an hour!!!!! :(:wacko::D:wub:

For a couple of years or so I wrote a column for Front Sight on the history of practical shooting. Not that I was necessarily the best to do it, but no one else seemed interested. Nyle Leatham was, as I recall, appointed as the IPSC Historian and has gathered a considerable amount of information with the intent of a book. The last I heard, however, was that everything had been shelved, with respect to the book.

At various times there was also talk that it would be nice to have a museum of the equipment and guns used over the years in the sport, and I volunteered to hold anything donated for such an endeavor, but nothing ever came about in that regard either.

If anyone does have old materials that they want to get rid of or provide copies of, in the case of papers or photos, I would still be willing to house it until some sort of use could be made of it, book-wise or museum-wise or such. I believe there is a lot of history that should be preserved.

There have been remarkable strides made in both equipmnent and technique. It has, for me, been an exciting and enjoyable period of time. Improvements are still being made, though not with the same pace as seem in the past, but that is the way most things evolve.

Yeah, new gun modifications, holsters, Idaho Reloading pouches, new holster makers... Everything was under examination and trial. That continues today, but at a somewhat more moderate pace. I remember telling Dixon that we should cut the grip off a gun and add our own grip. I've always wondered about the Tripp frames after they appearred. Bill Rogers once told me it was not practical to hold the gun in a holster using the trigger guard. (?!?) We learned Tiger Tooth stippling is not the way to go for guns being drawn from the holster and the early, pre-comp ported barrels, for a few.

Many great memories, and still interesting.

Guy

Flex

It is all about perspective...we thought then, and some of us still think, it is more fun to stand and shoot than to run 2 city blocks before you draw your pistol to engage a veritable FREAKIN' SEA of targets...Running isn't a skill I need to practice, I have a truck, a sports car, a motorcycle and a fourwheeler, a kayak and friends with real boats, horses, planes, motorhomes, etc... Isn't standing and shooting more fun than sucking on an oxygen mask after sprinting thru a stage feeling like you just did battle with the entire Banditos motorcycle gang....

Sorry, couldn't resist.... :rolleyes:

It wasn't all standing around.

I remember starting one stage half way up the lader of a construction hopper of some sort, and hte first shot was at a target fifty yards behind you. Then you climbed down and proceeded to run around the rest of the range.

There was another, where we ran around the range, entered a car (van) with waiting driver, shot targets as he drove past them, then exited and finished the course.

Then there was the time we made use of the pile of gravel (about 15 feet high). We had to run up it, shoot some targets, then run (or otherwise go) down to finish the course.

Those were all prior to 1980, and may have been as early as 1978. Well, they say the memory is the second thing to go. Now if I could just remember the first thing...

But there were many more timed stages and standards where you did stand and deliver. It pre-dated Comstock factoring, and Virginia count and timing was by (gasp!) stopwatch. That was the primary reason for stop plates - to allow the timer to (reasonably) consistently stop the watch (when the stop plate was hit).

It was rarer to move with the gun in hand. You would normally reholster before moving, so holster retention played a larger part.

Guy