Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What hand load works best in your M&P 9? or 9L?

DOCOHM

In which barrel, the older factory 16:1 or the newer 10:1?

The newer barrels have one or two dots engraved on the underside of the barrel

The dimples don't indicate twist rate, they identify which machine made the barrel for QC. Only way to be sure is to count the twist with a rod and patch.

today I went out and cronied my 9L with a new bar-sto barrel. off a randsom rest at 15 yard, 10 shot group was about 1" with (3.5gr VVn320, 147gr zero RN, 1.15"OAL, 879.7 fps avg, 11.8 SD, 129.3 pf) and (3.8gr VVn320, 147gr zero RN, 948.6 fps avg, 9.0 SD 139.4 pf)

I did have some zero 125 gr 38 super bullets, but the tight chamber did not like loading them, had to smack the back of the slide to get it into battery for every shot.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have a M&P 9L, N320 and Zero 147 RN. I am at 3.6 gr and all recorded shots are above 885 fps and that is what I use. I can not remember what the SD was, but, it was single to low double digits and at 1.150 OAL.

I've had very good luck with Xtreme 124g hp over 4.2g of Titegroup at 1.15. Runs about 130 PF.

Also good results with 147grain flat point blue bullets over 3.7 grains of PowerPistol. OAL is down to 1.08 because of the bullet shape. This one also runs about 130 PF.

Both have similar accuracy with 1-1/12" groups at 15' over the chrono and 2" groups at 30'.

This is with the newer, 5" barrel with 10.1 twist.

I like both equally well. Neither one smokes much or has much recoil that I've noticed. I did notice that with 3.1 g Titegroup and 147 grain blue bullets, get quite a bit of smoke. These ran close to 132 PF. Accuracy opened up a bit with that combination.

Wanted to add one more thing about the blue bullets. Not sure if other coated bullets are the same, but you'll get some inconsistent OAL measurements because of the inconsistent amount and shape of the coating on the tips of the bullets. It's not a big deal once you understand the cause. That won't affect the performance and fit in the barrel since the tip doesn't touch the groves.

Edited by PiratePast40

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

CCI #500, 3.3gr titegroup, 147 xtreme or berry's RN plated bullet, @ 1.15, right around 130PF. Smooth, good recoil impulse, great at steel and drops the front sight right back in place. That's with the old twist 4.25" barrel.

I loaded up a bunch of these to run in my 5" pro and WOW! They are fantastic! I'm making 137 PF and they are very accurate. Thanks for posting!

• 2 weeks later...

I have shot several thousand 147gr Berry's FP over 3.3gr of Titegroup at 1.125 COAL with great results out of my 5" Pro.

I have recently started to experiment with the Xtreme 165gr over 2.7gr of Titegroup at 1.145 COAL and must admit, they are my new favorite load for IDPA. The recoil is non existent and the accuracy is better than I am.